• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What has happened to the Transpennine Express services from Scarborough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class08Shunter

On Moderation
What has happened to Transpennine Express services from Scarborough? Most of them terminate at York. What happened to the Scarborough-Liverpool Lime Street service? Has it been terminated? Has the Scarborough-Manchester Airport service been terminated as well? Will there be more long distance services in the future?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
Try doing a quick search first - most subjects of note already have a thread.

Established Member
What has happened to Transpennine Express services from Scarborough? Most of them terminate at York. What happened to the Scarborough-Liverpool Lime Street service? Has it been terminated? Has the Scarborough-Manchester Airport service been terminated as well? Will there be more long distance services in the future?
Due to the continued issues that TPE have trying to resource crews to cover their service, it is easier for them to operate a Scarborough to York shuttle.
It operates more reliably than if it had to operate across the Pennines, as if it continues to Manchester or Liverpool it needs multiple crews to operate, if any one of those is missing, 9 times out of 10 the service is cancelled through out.

Metroman62

I much prefer a reliable shuttle to York than an unreliable through service. I often travel to and from Leeds. If I can get to York I can get to Leeds. If a through train is cancelled I have an hours wait

Llandudno

Established Member
Might be best if Scarborough was served by a shuttle service to York, but every 30 minutes on a clock face frequency 0600-2330

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m not sure where you’ve been if you’re only just noticing this now. It’s been this way for the best part of three years.

class 9

They seem now to be running through to/from Manchester Piccadilly every 2 hours.

3RDGEN

The Scarborough and Hull services were swapped last December so Scarborough now gets a service to Manchester Picc and Hull to Liverpool, why this was done I have no idea.

On paper the current weekday timetable is Scarborough to York hourly with ever other one going to Manc Picc, alternating with a two hourly Newcastle - Manc Picc service. It appears this will continue to be the case in the new May timetable.

In the real world TPE run whatever they like, however they like.

nr758123

The Scarborough and Hull services were swapped last December so Scarborough now gets a service to Manchester Picc and Hull to Liverpool, why this was done I have no idea.
The impetus behind this idea came from political and business interests in Hull, who wanted both faster services to Manchester and through services to Liverpool.
In the real world TPE run whatever they like, however they like.
That's certainly the impression they manage, however unintentionally, to convey to their passengers.

Class08Shunter

On Moderation
I much prefer a reliable shuttle to York than an unreliable through service. I often travel to and from Leeds. If I can get to York I can get to Leeds. If a through train is cancelled I have an hours wait
Problem is that their connecting services leaves a few minutes before the train you're on arrives.

Class08Shunter

On Moderation
What happened to the services from Scarborough to Manchester Airport? If there are services from Manchester Airport to Scarborough every monday and saturday, why wouldn't there be services from Scarborough to Manchester Airport?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What happened to the services from Scarborough to Manchester Airport? If there are services from Manchester Airport to Scarborough every monday and saturday, why wouldn't there be services from Scarborough to Manchester Airport?
There are only a handful of direct services at the fringes of the day. Effectively they are an extension of what would otherwise be one of the overnight/late/early York <-> Manchester Airport workings, used to rotate stock and keep diversionary route knowledge up.

Status
Not open for further replies.