• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What, in your opinion, was the best TOC of all time since privatisation began?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I remember seeing a thread about the best operator on the ECML, so I decided to extend this to TOCs in general, with a poll linked down below. It most certainly won't be conclusive, as I doubt anyone has ridden with every single TOC to have existed, but it may be interesting*.

Due to there being too many options for the forum polls, I have created an external poll here: https://www.quiz-maker.com/poll2312957x2Bfa409E-66

Results are here: https://www.quiz-maker.com/results2312957x2Bfa409E-66#tab-2

*I also want to see how many masochists vote for the terrible TOCS. :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeeLivery

Established Member
44 voted FCC? As Frank Underwood said in House of Cards, democracy is so overrated :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
GNER for me. An excellent image and identity which built on the history of the route. They also managed to keep the franchise itself financially healthy unlike every single private successor. It was issues with the parent company (Sea Containers) that did for them, as GNER was one of the few parts of that business that was solvent.

I'm expecting posts asking where Arriva Trains Northern is, as the Northern Spirit name barely had time to embed in people's minds before MTL went belly-up!

USBT

Judging by the results I can see now, you have put an idea in someone's head! (71% for First Capital Connect as things stand).

I may just have to vote for Connex South Central just to even things up a bit. :)

Gems

GNER for me. An excellent image and identity which built on the history of the route. They also managed to keep the franchise itself financially healthy unlike every single private successor. It was issues with the parent company (Sea Containers) that did for them, as GNER was one of the few parts of that business that was solvent.

I'm expecting posts asking where Arriva Trains Northern is, as the Northern Spirit name barely had time to embed in people's minds before MTL went belly-up!

Both agree and disagree.

GNER certainly had a certain style. Possibly the finest example of how you can polish a turd, but the trains on the outside looked very royal. That has been lacking since.

As for MTL. Well they were very good at robbing the pension pot and creating driver shortages. Possibly the worst TOC ever.

Parallel

Established Member
I voted for SWT but was very surprised that FCC has the majority, everyone on the forum used to complain about them*

*until GTR took over

Ken H

On Moderation
Chiltern. OK they have had a long go at it, but they have developed a commuter railway into an fast intercity one, were the first to order trains after the privatisation hiatus, new stations (warwick parkway and the one near Aylesbury), have loco hauled trains, and are nearly always on time.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
I'd be tempted to say NXEA aka One but as I've not got that much experience travelling on trains operated by older franchises, I'm not sure that I'm correct on that one.

Journeyman

Established Member
SWT. They made a few mistakes, especially early on when they let too many drivers take voluntary severance, but generally they delivered a reliable service and made consistent improvements. The 455 refurb absolutely transformed the trains and made most people think they were new.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've gone with VTWC, for the complete transformation and ongoing good decisions about WCML operations - a good, solid operation that, the 140mph dream aside, has mostly delivered on the promises.

Black marks for the Euston barrier staff and policy on Anytime fare levels, though.

bionic

I've gone with VTWC, for the complete transformation and ongoing good decisions about WCML operations - a good, solid operation that, the 140mph dream aside, has mostly delivered on the promises.

Black marks for the Euston barrier staff and policy on Anytime fare levels, though.
I agree with most of what you say, but the trains are so horrible I can't stand them. The shocking lack of windows, natural daylight and usable luggage space on Pendolinos make the journey from London to Scotland very unpleasant unless you travel First Class or bag a table seat. Those trains are like Ryanair planes. The permanent toilet stench of the voyagers isn't much better!

Journeyman

Established Member
I agree with most of what you say, but the trains are so horrible I can't stand them. The shocking lack of windows, natural daylight and usable luggage space on Pendolinos make the journey from London to Scotland very unpleasant unless you travel First Class or bag a table seat. Those trains are like Ryanair planes. The permanent toilet stench of the voyagers isn't much better!

I quite like the Pendolinos, but I can't stand Virgin for their corporate ethos, and all the over-the-top lame humour and chumminess they hurl at you. It sets my teeth on edge.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I thought I would be the first to vote for Wrexham and Shropshire but it turns out that I am 5th.
A bit slow having to run on a 30mph freight line in Birmingham and stand waiting with the doors locked at Birmingham International to allow a Virgin to overtake.
Their loco hauled trains are now in service with Chiltern providing Chiltern's 'Siver Trains'.
Started with great hopes but closure was inevitable when they got taken over by DB.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would put London Overground (Arriva Rail London) as a contender particularity in the way they have transformed the lines formally operated by the ridiculously named "Silverlink" i.e. Euston Watford DC and the North and West London lines.

Will Mitchell

Many of these ‘transformations’ attributed to TOCs were actually the result of large scale infrastructure investment. I for one cannot wait to see the back of Virgin and their in-your-face corporate mediocrity.

pieguyrob

I have voted for Virgin Cross Country. For the reason of the Blackpool North to Portsmouth Harbour daily return with 47 haulage. Needless to say 1M32 and 1N11 were enjoyed on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.