• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What irritates you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
-people who put two names together to form one, "Brangilina", "Jedwood" ect
-coursework deadlines (come too soon for me :lol:)
-Eastenders, "corrie" and the other TV shows that have been on for so long the ideas are being scrapped out the bottem of the barrel

missing out on a good fot because your camera was too slow, GBRf`s "Chinhook" hauling Fastline stock passed my 170 home today, had a good night shot of it too untill my cam decided "oh you`ve pressed the button, hang on a sec, ok im ready, snap"

me123

Established Member
I tried that, it never works!

I think at Morrisons, you can put your own bag in the bagging area. There's a button (IIRC) that lets you put the extra weight on. Otherwise, a staff member can authorise the extra weight in any supermarket.

The ones in B&Q really do take the p**s, though. Last time I saw them, all four had staff members alongside because the machines simply do not work at all. Every item had to be authorised by a staff member. That's an extreme, but it's a complete waste of B&Q's resources.

They work quite well in supermarkets on the whole, though, for small shops. Our Tesco had checkouts that were designed for "15 items+" (a full shop) and it was used by people with full trolleys and simply did not work. But they do work for a small basket of goods. Anyone who's seen a shop before and after will probably agree that people get through faster as there are more checkouts available.

Safeway (an innovative supermarket) used to have some crazy things called "Shop and Go". You took a hand held scanner (a slightly different version of this) around the store with you and scanned everything as you put it in the trolley. At the end, you put it back on its holder and it printed your receipt, which you took to a special checkout and paid for. It was really quick and very handy, but the resulting theft (both intentionally and accidentally) must have been huge. This was swiftly dropped when Morrisons took over and has, not surprisingly, never been seen again.

Last edited:

dan_atki

Established Member
Safeway (an innovative supermarket) used to have some crazy things called "Shop and Go". You took a hand held scanner (a slightly different version of this) around the store with you and scanned everything as you put it in the trolley. At the end, you put it back on its holder and it printed your receipt, which you took to a special checkout and paid for. It was really quick and very handy, but the resulting theft (both intentionally and accidentally) must have been huge. This was swiftly dropped when Morrisons took over and has, not surprisingly, never been seen again.

Interestingly enough, my local Waitrose has that too! Must say I was rather surprised when I saw it as I also thought the potential for theft must be very high.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interestingly enough, my local Waitrose has that too! Must say I was rather surprised when I saw it as I also thought the potential for theft must be very high.
I remember Shop & Go, I thought it was a really good idea but did require a level of honesty, there were however registration requirements and also random checks.

There is a Sainsburys in Solihulll that has it, and a number of Waitrose shops I've been in have it as well, I think the requirement for Waitrose is that you have a John Lewis Credit Card.

me123

Established Member
Safeway made you have a loyalty card. They dropped the card, though, before they were taken over and Morrisons don't have it.

Even with the random checks, you could get away with a hell of a lot. The checks were (I think) about 1 in 10 people, and most of them were just a quick item count. You could still have sneaked a few things in. There's also the question of age restricted products.

thefab444

Established Member
Must say I was rather surprised when I saw it as I also thought the potential for theft must be very high.

I suppose they are banking on the fact that 99% of their customers are law abiding citizens. Your average shop-lifter wouldn't be seen dead in Waitrose, he's got a reputation to maintain. :roll:

Wyvern

Established Member
I've read all the way through this thread.

I just can't think of anything.

Must be something wrong with me.

Harking back to an earlier subject, there are three places near me: Loughborough, Houghton and Boughton.

They are pronounced respectively: Luffburru, Hoeton and Booton.

No wonder children and foreign people have trouble with English. As my friend (who is a school master) says "It's English that's spelt (or spelled) wrongly."

Last edited:

Phoenix

Established Member
People who believe they know better than everyone else so basically treat you as more of contemporary then anything and make no effort to be nice and can be titled as "snobs".
Also people who assume that they have it harder than anyone else so don't really care about anyone's circumstances but there own.
And finally loud drunken basher yes I love a drink and love some thrash! but at the same time I dislike antisocial behavior on trains and fat 20-60 year old men trying to spill beer onto me and possibly bum me out of the window.

Established Member
And finally loud drunken basher yes I love a drink and love some thrash! but at the same time I dislike antisocial behavior on trains and fat 20-60 year old men trying to spill beer onto me and possibly bum me out of the window.

and the ones who think they are main men and put down people half their age and people who think you cant be a basher if you never lived to do the "proper" traction on the regular services.

also the ones that just take the **** when your only having a laugh, like when I did the penzance bash in June, had a EE flag me and another lad were having a laugh with it, some were embarresed (yet funny they got in the photos with it) by it and decided it and we were "stoaty", so you cant have fun either anymore :lol:

djw1981

Established Member
I think at Morrisons, you can put your own bag in the bagging area. There's a button (IIRC) that lets you put the extra weight on. Otherwise, a staff member can authorise the extra weight in any supermarket.
|If you put your bag on before clicking start in etsco it works, even up to my uni rucsac.
The ones in B&Q really do take the p**s, though. Last time I saw them, all four had staff members alongside because the machines simply do not work at all. Every item had to be authorised by a staff member. That's an extreme, but it's a complete waste of B&Q's resources.
If you can have 2 checkouts covered by one member of staff you save one salary - 12k pa......
They work quite well in supermarkets on the whole, though, for small shops. Our Tesco had checkouts that were designed for "15 items+" (a full shop) and it was used by people with full trolleys and simply did not work. But they do work for a small basket of goods. Anyone who's seen a shop before and after will probably agree that people get through faster as there are more checkouts available.
Yes some people are stupid. Full troilley one only works when you can make the assistant realise that you are actually buying £280 of foiod in 3 trolleys and only having the self serve checkout on means they need to stand and do the over-ride, at which poiint they switch off the bagging area announcement and do your packing. 87 green points!!!!
Oh but it has, it's back, this time with Waitrose - a better class of thief.

Established Member
Leaving the lights on in the car and coming back to a flat battery would be up there in the 'most irritating things ever' list.

My Polo has a wonderful habit of the little buzzer not going off when you've left the lights on and you're getting out of the car, but going off when you unlock the car and open the door to get back in, just so you know that the lights have been left on the whole time. (Thankfully it's not as bad now, but still temperamental :lol:)

Some things that annoy me

1) When you are joining a motorway from the slip road and someone is in the slow lane on the motorway and they don't move over dispite the middle and fast lanes being clear so you have to stop

2) Old people out shopping at the weekends. Do they not know that shops are open monday to Friday?

3) Cyclists who go through red lights.

Dennis

Established Member

2) Old people out shopping at the weekends. Do they not know that shops are open monday to Friday?

Yes, they do know the shops are open Mon - Fri; try shopping in a hurry during the week and you'll find them doddering all over the shop just like on a Saturday.

Why can't supermarkets be designed to encourage a one way flow of trolleys? Much more efficent than all the conflicting moves going on in the average Tesco.

Established Member
People who park badly in car parks and block you in.

If someone takes no care when parking, parks diagonally in the space and doesn't leave enough space for me to get out, I see no reason why I should be really careful not to scrape their car as I try to get out of my space.

me123

Established Member
If someone takes no care when parking, parks diagonally in the space and doesn't leave enough space for me to get out, I see no reason why I should be really careful not to scrape their car as I try to get out of my space.

You know fine well that, whatever happens, you will come out worse for wear in this situation. That's the way the world works.

fgwrich

Established Member
What Irriates me......

The Ignorant people sitting right next to me here in dullstoke college of techonology…who expect me to do almost all the work whilst they do nowt all and whinge about football….<(<(<(

Martin Johnson and the England Rugby management…:mad:

The totally idiotic and ignorant manner my college seems to operate in when it comes to sorting out peoples courses…and the even lesser ability to tell the truth…followed by the non existent policy of actually understanding the word sorry, after they’ve made a complete and utter balls up on your course !<(

Aswell as floods of daily junk emails<(

Pretty much it for the moment...but theyll be far more later No Doubt...

Oswyntail

Established Member
...2) Old people out shopping at the weekends. Do they not know that shops are open monday to Friday?...
So let's put time restrictions on what people can do. No one over 60 can shop at weekends, obviously; or travel, that makes sense; or go swimming, naturally. And the under 60s? They cannot shop during the week - that's only fair; or travel - should be at work anyway; and they can swim all they like at weekends.
Beware - with luck even rail enthusiasts become old one day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.