• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is a Bay Platform??

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic08

On Moderation
I suggest that the term "bay" is used to describe a terminating platform at a station which is mainly a through station. If the station is a terminus, or mainly a terminus (like Manchester Piccadilly is) then the terminating platforms are just platforms.
"Mainly" can probably be defined as when there are more terminating platforms than through ones.
What would you call the two platforms at Scarborough terminating short of the other platforms?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Usage obviously varies from person to person. In my view it’s not enough for a bay to be a terminating platform in a through station - it also has to be adjacent to a through platform. So I would not regard the low level terminating platforms at Portsmouth and Southsea as bays - you have to walk from the platform ends and climb a staircase to reach the through (high-level) platforms.

Woking has a classic bay set into the main platforms at the London end. Closer to my home there is also a bay, used for overnight stabling, at Ryde St John’s Road.

It doesnt really matter what you or I think, they are bay platforms.
I can call it a terminating platform if you prefer that label, doesnt change the fact they are what they are,
Bay platforms.

keith1879

Just wanted to say thanks for the interesting replies....I still feel that a bay is more than just a terminating platform but it does look like usage is changing. I particularly like the pictures of Colwyn Bay!!

midland1

Just one point, platform 1 at Nuneaton Trent Valley was known as the Coventry and Leicester, this was and is very much a through platform.

Veteran Member
It doesnt really matter what you or I think, they are bay platforms.
I can call it a terminating platform if you prefer that label, doesnt change the fact they are what they are,
Bay platforms.
Portsmouth and Southsea Low Level is (was) regarded as a separate station operationally. It is a terminus. High Level shares its facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.