• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is located in the nose of a class 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaxmanValenta

Forgive me for asking as I've never been in a class 37 or similar locos but what is in the nose section as I've seen a door leading to from the cab into the nose. Also why do some class 37s have access doors at the front above the buffers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexl92

Established Member
I believe that the access doors were an original feature to allow crews to move between loco and train but as they were refurbished it was considered unnecessary so they were plated over/removed.

richa2002

Established Member
Traction motor blowers and the compressors in the no.1 end.

Phil.

Established Member
the toilet

Not in a 37. There was (is?) a urinal in the engine compartment at the radiator end. As someone has already pointed out compressors at one end and exhausters at the other. Motor blowers in each.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Not in a 37. There was (is?) a urinal in the engine compartment at the radiator end. As someone has already pointed out compressors at one end and exhausters at the other. Motor blowers in each.

it was a slight joke ;) Although i am sure I have seen a chemical toilet on one type of train

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Most of the diesel locos built up until about 1962 had end gangways, including classes 24, 25, 26, 27, 31, 37, 40, 44 and 45 plus the LMS twins, the original Southern diesel and the Metrovick Co-Bo (probably not a definitive list!). Where the loco also had a 4-character headcode display this was placed above the cab windows or split with 2 characters each side of the gangway. The gangways were supposed to be used for the crew to get between the loco and the train or between double-headed locos, although their tops were lower than the ones fitted to coaches. They were virtually never used.

After that date the gangways were no longer fitted to new production, including later runs of many of the above classes, and those that previously had split headcodes were re-designed with a 4-character display centrally on the nose. Many of the existing gangways were removed and the doors welded shut or plated over.

Western Lord

Forgive me for asking as I've never been in a class 37 or similar locos but what is in the nose section as I've seen a door leading to from the cab into the nose. Also why do some class 37s have access doors at the front above the buffers?

Traction motor blowers (both ends), plus compressor (no. 1 end) and exhausters (no. 2 end). The toilet was in the engine room. It was the Deltics which had the toilet in the no. 2 nose end.

Status
Not open for further replies.