• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is "stopping bus service"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YodasWs

American here. I keep seeing references to "stopping bus service" and that Bus Rapid Transit is like a faster form of stopping bus service. What the heck is "stopping bus service"? Tell me what defines a route as a "stopping bus service" as opposed to rapid, express, local, shuttle, etc.

Is "stopping bus service" simply a bus service with stops along its routes but not as close together as a "local bus service"?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
American here. I keep seeing references to "stopping bus service" and that Bus Rapid Transit is like a faster form of stopping bus service. What the heck is "stopping bus service"? Tell me what defines a route as a "stopping bus service" as opposed to rapid, express, local, shuttle, etc.

Is "stopping bus service" simply a bus service with stops along its routes but not as close together as a "local bus service"?
Obviously all bus services stop at some point, but to me a "stopping service", or "stopper", is one which observes more or less all* stops along the route. A "limited stop" service is one which only observes certain stops along the way, or prevents people from boarding within certain areas of a town or city. For example, if you have a service which heads into the town/city centre you may wish to restrict people from boarding in the outer areas in order to give out of town passengers a faster service; on the other hand the same service will prevent people from alighting in the outer areas. You may have a limited stop service which serves the suburbs, but which only stops at a few points along the way.

In practice it will vary depending on the location and local demands. In rural areas there are often no official stops at all and services operate as "hail and ride" due to the population spread.

* Some "stopping" services within the town/city centre will only serve certain stops in order to reduce congestion at a particular location, but you'll find that there's another stop nearby that other services will use.

Welcome to the forum, by the way :)

I'm quite interested in the types of routes you mentioned. What are 'rapid, express, local and shuttle' routes?

Typically in this country we only have standard stopping routes and express routes. Though of course special types of routes like shuttle buses (park and ride for example) exist.

Also I've always had the notion that buses in the US don't necessarily stop at 'stops' and simply stop once a 'block' or at the end of the street. How does this work if true, as this isn't really ever seen in the UK.

Thanks

miklcct

On Moderation
I'm quite interested in the types of routes you mentioned. What are 'rapid, express, local and shuttle' routes?

Typically in this country we only have standard stopping routes and express routes. Though of course special types of routes like shuttle buses (park and ride for example) exist.

Also I've always had the notion that buses in the US don't necessarily stop at 'stops' and simply stop once a 'block' or at the end of the street. How does this work if true, as this isn't really ever seen in the UK.

Thanks
I believe that "rapid" may be a synonym of "limited-stop" service, which a bus travels on arterials road and only stops at major stations. I'm curious if "local" here means that the route only runs within a locality (to exclude e.g. inter-city coaches which do stop at every village along the way).

Express routes are different from limited-stop (rapid) routes that it travels on a long stretch of motorway between cities.

LUYMun

Obviously all bus services stop at some point, but to me a "stopping service", or "stopper", is one which observes more or less all* stops along the route. A "limited stop" service is one which only observes certain stops along the way, or prevents people from boarding within certain areas of a town or city. For example, if you have a service which heads into the town/city centre you may wish to restrict people from boarding in the outer areas in order to give out of town passengers a faster service; on the other hand the same service will prevent people from alighting in the outer areas. You may have a limited stop service which serves the suburbs, but which only stops at a few points along the way.
Could a rail replacement bus count as a limited stop service?

Did you swap US and UK in that question? Sounds as if you're asking about the 'hail & ride' system that is sometimes applied in thinly populated areas with few passengers per vehicle. The driver only stops if they deem the requested location is safe.

Did you swap US and UK in that question? Sounds as if you're asking about the 'hail & ride' system that is sometimes applied in thinly populated areas with few passengers per vehicle. The driver only stops if they deem the requested location is safe.
No, I may be way off, but I'm pretty sure when I have looked at some routes in the US (rarely, admittedly) I've noticed statements on the timetable/ website like 'bus stops at every other block' or something along the lines of that. Whether the company is just stating how far bus stops are apart, I don't know.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
No, I may be way off, but I'm pretty sure when I have looked at some routes in the US (rarely, admittedly) I've noticed statements on the timetable/ website like 'bus stops at every other block' or something along the lines of that. Whether the company is just stating how far bus stops are apart, I don't know.
I've caught buses in New York, Orlando and in the rural area served by the Pocono Pony. All had marked bus stops, though of varying complexity. Some are not terribly easy to see - this is the location of one I had fun finding:

Status
Not open for further replies.