• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the best way .. Newcastle (NCL) to Liverpool Lime Street (LIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie Bee

My wife and I are looking to book a mini break to Liverpool, so I have been looking on the RailUK ticket site for price details

Leaving Newcastle at 10:06 on Monday 15th May, then leaving Liverpool Lime Street at 14:24 on Thursday 18th May would be only £55.80 on TransPennine Express, which seems a very decent price (we have a Two Together railcard) Travel time is just under 3 hours for each journey .. again, not too bad

I know TPE hasn’t been very reliable, but having a quick (newbie) look on the Recent Train Times website, it seems their 10:06 service from Newcastle isn’t too bad.

There’s another return option, Liverpool Lime Street to Preston (Northern) .. Preston to Carlisle (TPE) and Carlisle to Newcastle (Northern) at only £54.61. OK, it’s a longer journey, but it would give us the opportunity to see some different scenery

On RailUK tickets, if I exclude TPE, there are options .. Newcastle to Doncaster (LNER) : Doncaster to Sheffield (Northern) : Sheffield to Liverpool Lime Street (East Midlands Railway) returning in a similar sort of way, but the price is about £100

Would folk here just book on the TPE direct journeys and keep their fingers crossed that all will be OK, or would you just pick the more expensive, longer journeys and avoid TPE.

My wife and I were in London late last year and returned from Edinburgh a couple of days ago, both times on LNER and each occasion every journey has been brilliant with trains bang on time. Our expectations are therefore high, so we don’t want to be disappointed by other, less reliable companies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You can do the Carlisle version avoiding TPE, which is likely to be the most reliable. Avanti services operate from Preston to Carlisle as well, one in some hours, two in others.

If you have high expectations avoiding TPE is the best plan...

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Another couple of options (albeit probably somewhat slower journeys) would be to travel via Northern from Liverpool to York (via Preston/Blackburn/Leeds) or from Liverpool to York (via Manchester Victoria/Leeds). And then from York to Newcastle with LNER, thus avoiding needing to use TPE.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The only sensible way of avoiding TPE would be via Carlisle and Preston, and the Tyne Valley is certainly scenic. The time you’d be adding would be more than the hour’s delay you’d get if a TPE gets cancelled, though. Personally I’d just take the direct TPE but not make any time-sensitive plans. It’s rare that two consecutive Newcastle-Manchester trains get cancelled (NB from Newcastle there’s an hourly to Liverpool and 2-hourly to Manchester Piccadilly) and if you can get to Manchester there are plenty of alternatives if TPE are having a ‘mare.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The only sensible way of avoiding TPE would be via Carlisle and Preston, and the Tyne Valley is certainly scenic. The time you’d be adding would be more than the hour’s delay you’d get if a TPE gets cancelled, though. Personally I’d just take the direct TPE but not make any time-sensitive plans.

Problem with this is that a cancellation doesn't just mean you're an hour late, it also means severe overcrowding and a grim journey. That is a far stronger reason to avoid TPE than just the problem of delays.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
it also means severe overcrowding and a grim journey
Less so if you’re boarding the train at the origin, which the OP would be doing in both directions.

If my train from Newcastle were cancelled and there was an hour’s delay, I’d go and get a coffee and a pastry from Pink Lane Coffee over the road from the station.

Llandudno

Established Member
I would book the direct TPE trains, then when they get cancelled use alternative services and you get most of your money back!

Enjoy your break in Liverpool, it’s a fantastic city to visit these days, a far cry from when I lived there in the 1980s!

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I'd just go for the direct TPE too. Unless there is a total meltdown, it's a lovely journey and the 802s are great. I also agree not to book anything time-sensitive in Liverpool.

Willie Bee

OP here

Thank you everybody for your replies.

Regards the journey to Liverpool I'll certainly just book the 10:06 direct TPE train and keep my fingers crossed.

For the return trip, I fancy the Liverpool - Preston - Carlisle - Newcastle route, just for the change of scenery. My wife though, might think otherwise. Do I dare suggest we come back on separate trains ... probably not :D

frodshamfella

Established Member
OP here

Regards the journey to Liverpool I'll certainly just book the 10:06 direct TPE train and keep my fingers crossed.

For the return trip, I fancy the Liverpool - Preston - Carlisle - Newcastle route, just for the change of scenery. My wife though, might think otherwise. Do I dare suggest we come back on separate trains ... probably not :D

You a thought you could go home Liverpool to Preston via Ormskirk. It will probably take longer I imagine, but the Ormskirk to Preston is quite a pleasant run. Just a thought. Also get a cheap Merseyrail Fare to Ormskirk. Enjoy your time in Liverpool.

Willie Bee

You a thought you could go home Liverpool to Preston via Ormskirk. It will probably take longer I imagine, but the Ormskirk to Preston is quite a pleasant run. Just a thought. Also get a cheap Merseyrail Fare to Ormskirk. Enjoy your time in Liverpool.
Many thanks for the information .. yes, might give that route a try.

We've actually had a slight change of plan, will now be visiting Liverpool a little later in the year (Oct)

frodshamfella

Established Member
Many thanks for the information .. yes, might give that route a try.

We've actually had a slight change of plan, will now be visiting Liverpool a little later in the year (Oct)
Ok , enjoy whenever it is. ...dont know how long you have, but the Anthony Gormley Statues.at the beach are well.worth seeing. Get.off at Hall.Road Station.and just walk to the beach

317 forever

Established Member
OP here

If you travel via Preston & Carlisle but she travels direct on TPE, you'll get back to Newcastle before she does. :lol:

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Have you thought of a Rail Rover. Possibly more expensive than point to point tickets but much more flexibility.

A North Country Rover would cover your needs. £75.85 for any four days in eight. (railrover.org)

Edited to add: doesn't cover Preston to Liverpool so probably scrub that. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.