• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is this? (not datum plate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TransportHub

I saw this at Goodmayes station on the GEML, anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• 20161116_161851.jpg
    20161116_161851.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 187
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Its the leg from a giant mechanical spider that has snapped off

Or probably its going to have DOO cameras mounted on it soon.

Domh245

Established Member
I think it'll be a bracket for the CCTV cameras for the Crossrail stock. They aren't fitted with bodyside cameras, so they use platform CCTV instead.

theironroad

Established Member
I think it'll be a bracket for the CCTV cameras for the Crossrail stock. They aren't fitted with bodyside cameras, so they use platform CCTV instead.

Why on earth aren't they being fitted with bodyside cameras? As theyre being introduced for doo, I can't fathom that.

johnr57

A southern relative of Nessie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why on earth aren't they being fitted with bodyside cameras? As theyre being introduced for doo, I can't fathom that.

Platform CCTV can give a better view than bodyside, as it can point more towards the vehicle? As they are only ever intended to be used on one route, providing platform CCTV is not a massive problem.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

They will not be able to use bodyside cameras in the Crossrail core, because of the Platform Edge Doors (PEDs), so the LU-style solution of platform cameras displayed on cab monitors is being used by default on the brand new parts of the route.

It therefore seems logical to do the same on the surface sections being transferred.

rebmcr

Established Member
LU helped them with the 'leaky feeder' system of partially-shielded coaxial cabling that they originally perfected for this purpose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.