• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What might the final Elizabeth line timetable look like, when all works are complete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfoxcc

Has anything been published on what the full timetable and frequency will be when both ends are connectred?

Interested in the Reading to Liverpool St section..

Anywhere this may be online?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt_world2004

Established Member

A rather long read so I am not going to quote the whole thing

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Has anything been published on what the full timetable and frequency will be when both ends are connectred?

No, there is nothing published. 2tph from Reading off-peak and 4tph peak is seen to be most likely.

This thread has recently discussed the through running but doesn't include any confirmation.

A rather long read so I am not going to quote the whole thing
The last comment in that is helpful though regarding the 2tph off-peak / 4tph peak service from Reading.
An interesting FOI request (flagged up by a local newspaper) which answers a query about likely services operating through West Ealing once the final phase of Crossrail services are running in ~May 2023:

This states:
“From May 2023 we expect service frequencies to the west of London to be 6 trains per hour from Heathrow, 4tph /2tph (peak/off peak) from Reading and 2tph all day from Maidenhead. These will also run into the central operating section. This timetable has not yet been finalised: it is currently planned that West Ealing will receive 4tph, but we will continue to explore opportunities to increase the frequencies of calls at West Ealing.”
Reference: https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/transp.../foi-request-detail?referenceId=FOI-0538-2223

This compares to the 10tph speculated by the LR article above from 2018. Clearly a lot has changed between 2018 and now, but it would be interesting to know the specific issues which have caused a re-think on retaining more skip-stops instead of having more stops on inner-suburban stations and having a more consistent (all/most stops) to the west of Paddington, as it is to the east of Liverpool Street…

JN114

Established Member

Nothing confirmed/published yet.

Plenty of sensible and educated guesswork, but if you’re after the definitive what it -will- be? It isn’t in public domain yet, if it exists at all.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Not easily deciphered from that FOI request, but I'll just add that said 2tph from Maidenhead are, I believe, separate services from those terminating at Reading (which will also call) giving 4tph TFL at Maidenhead-West Drayton off peak.

mangyiscute

Established Member
and i'm guessing gwr will continue their stoppers at twyford, maidenhead, slough, sometimes west drayton, hayes & harlington and ealing broadway 2tph?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
and i'm guessing gwr will continue their stoppers at twyford, maidenhead, slough, sometimes west drayton, hayes & harlington and ealing broadway 2tph?
Only in the short term. There are plans (application to Network Rail for the May 2023 timetable change) for the GWR service to switch to the main line east of Slough with Elizabeth Line running the relief line service further in.

See https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...d-upminster-branch.233856/page-4#post-5744208

Johnny Lewis

Now that Heathrow T4 has reopened, I hope a boost in frequency to every 15 minutes happens soon, even if it's just shuttles running to T2&3 to connect with HeX or Elizabeth line services to Paddington.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Nothing formally announced, but if you look at the current running of things, and some headcode guessing, a fair educated guess would be this in peak:

• 12tph Shenfield - Paddington (reversing Westbourne Park)
  • 6tph Abbey Wood - Heathrow
    • 4tph to T4
    • 2tph to T5
  • 4tph Abbey Wood - Reading

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Nothing formally announced, but if you look at the current running of things, and some headcode guessing, a fair educated guess would be this in peak:

• 12tph Shenfield - Paddington (reversing Westbourne Park)
  • 6tph Abbey Wood - Heathrow
    • 4tph to T4
    • 2tph to T5
  • 4tph Abbey Wood - Reading
How does 10tph from Abbey Wood and 12tph from Shenfield sensibly mesh together? Isnt there meant to be an additional 2tph to Maidenhead at some point (or does that come later?).

mangyiscute

Established Member
Does that mean that the current plan is no through trains from Shenfield and Stratford to anywhere west of Paddington? This would cause a decent number of complaints, I expect - even tho it would just be a 2.5 min wait on the same platform, people will always want through trains

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Does that mean that the current plan is no through trains from Shenfield and Stratford to anywhere west of Paddington?
Initial plan at least. May 2023 might change it slightly but it still may only be 2tph to Heathrow from Shenfield.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...d-heathrow-reading.232538/page-2#post-5690886

This would cause a decent number of complaints, I expect
The cross London demand is going to be fairly minimal from the Shenfield route I would imagine. I would have thought demand from West London to Canary Wharf would exceed demand from West London to Stratford. I think previous threads may have suggested 2tph Shenfield to Heathrow in the past.

mangyiscute

Established Member
yeah hopefully, there aren't too many people making these journeys, and those that do are satisfied by a same platform 2.5 min connection. Stratford is quite a big pull tho

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Stratford is quite a big pull tho
What is it a big pull for in terms of people crossing London? I totally agree is is a big pull from the east side. There are lots of interchanges made there because it is an east side of London hub and it has a shopping centre and stadium but there is a shopping centre on the west side of London too.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
How does 10tph from Abbey Wood and 12tph from Shenfield sensibly mesh together? Isnt there meant to be an additional 2tph to Maidenhead at some point (or does that come later?).

It doesn’t very neatly you’re correct. I think 24tph remains impossible we discussed in other threads until Auto-reverse becomes available. So you move back to 22tph with gaps or 20tph. To be honest the latter would seem fine to me for the next stage given passenger loadings post Covid.

12tph & 12tph with 2 lopped out might just be one from circuit from the Central and Anglia sections, but that’s not great timetabling.

To get to 20tph, there are I see 2 main options:

1 - 12tph from Shenfield & 8tph from Abbey Wood which would be a decrease for Abbey Wood from current. This makes service patterns easier too with 8tph heading West.

2: Even split of 10tph on either branch. This would be a decrease for Shenfield (and marginal for Abbey Wood) so you’d probably have another 2tph terminating at Liverpool Street HL in the peak & just a reduction in Abbey Wood until 24tph is viable. How this slots into the West is a bit more messy; it may include another 2tph to Maidenhead as discussed.

So still lots of guesswork dependent on how testing continues to go over the summer.

A S Leib

Will services initially not going further west than Paddington serve Old Oak Common once it's open?

Status
Not open for further replies.