• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What next?

londontown

Hi everyone,

I've been here for almost a year now and despite it not being the job as advertised, I am enjoying the challenge as a CSA and have been recognised multiple times by my managers. I work hard, and I don't shy away from trying my best.

As you know, the cost of living is ever-increasing, and the salary is entry level. I don't want to be a train driver, but I'm not sure what else I can progress into. I am open to learning, but I have to think at my age what is possible.

My salary is roughly £23k. When I saw the TfL job posted at £30k, I thought whether I should apply or not. I wish life and work wasn't just about money, but with increasing rent and needing to stay near sick relatives, I have to think accordingly. Of course that job listing has closed now, but it would be great to have some good, sincere advice on what I should do next.

I'm regularly asked by my seniors at work, so I know they're keeping an eye on me without tooting my own horn, I don't think anything of myself. I just work as hard as I can. But I lack in the guidance area.

Feel free to message me as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TacoTraveller

If you feel like you want a more challenging job or it is just about money there's plenty of positions in the railway that pay more than isn't just solely train driving as example multiple on-board positions.

If you feel like your managers are encouraging you or keeping an eye on you it may be worth while to just ask them to let you know of any position openings that they feel you'd do well in, or just ask for their advice.

They are people after all and all my managers will help me out with similar stuff.

It's never too late to do a job you want to do, I know not driving but I've seen a few drivers join in their late 40-late 50 join my place just for a change of pace until retirement and it pays more.

Sorry to hear about your childhood but don't restrict yourself on ant position solely because of your age.

king_walnut

Keep an eye on all the career pages for TOCs local to you and apply as and when positions come up. I started as a part time revenue officer on a 6 month contract and moved up through various grades and I'm now a driver.

Ldn13

Look on the TfL website, they’ve been taking on loads of people in various roles. Lots of track jobs have been post in the last few months and will continue, which pay well.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Are you working at TfL currently? If so you have access to a large range of internal jobs.

Also if not driver, how about changing to a TOC? Maybe a guard / train manager which will definitely be >£30K. Or even looking internally for promotion to supervisory level. Maybe even outside of frontline roles is a possibility.

If you're looking to move on, any good manager will support that. I'll tell you what will definitely stop you getting a job? Not even applying.

Best of luck with your search.

Established Member
Are you working at TfL currently? If so you have access to a large range of internal jobs.

Also if not driver, how about changing to a TOC? Maybe a guard / train manager which will definitely be >£30K. Or even looking internally for promotion to supervisory level. Maybe even outside of frontline roles is a possibility.

If you're looking to move on, any good manager will support that. I'll tell you what will definitely stop you getting a job? Not even applying.

I think CSAs at TfL are all on over £30k
nowadays, (@bluegoblin7 may be able to confirm), so presumably a TOC.

Fair play to the OP for asking a sensible question that they’ve clearly put some thought into. I’ll also commend their *good* decision not to just try and go driving for the money if their heart isn’t in it.

I’d definitely suggest looking at TfL as going in to do the same role should trigger an immediate pay rise, and (as @Horizon22 notes) there will be a large range of internal roles for future progression. Another advantage is that TfL is somewhat insulated from the current mess the DfT is making of the “big railway”!

Last edited:

TFLtalk

Hi, do you know if it’s less difficult to transition to an internal tech role if you are working as a CSA for TFL ? I already have a background in tech in Uni and about 2 years experience. Are there internal vacancies for job roles like data analyst or data scientist ?