• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What not to do with £10,000!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4102758.stm
Motorists on the M3 were shocked to find themselves driving through a sudden shower of £20 notes

More than £10,000 billowed out of the rucksack of a motorcycle passenger heading south near Winchester services in Hampshire last Tuesday night.

Several motorists pulled over to try and help the motorcyclists find the cash, but only £500 was recovered.

Police said they are making inquiries as to why the pair were carrying so much cash.

Hampshire Police say they had been concerned about safety as a number of cars screeched to a halt at the side of the motorway in a dash to get the cash.

"We are not saying that other drivers took it because it was a windy night and that would not have helped. It was over both carriageways," she said.

The motorcyclists, from the Isle of Wight, told police they were going to buy a car with the money.

"This raised our suspicions and we are making checks as to where the money came from at the moment but it's not an offence to carry money," the spokeswoman added.

The motorcycle broke down two junctions further down the motorway.

If they really had to carry £10,000 they should have travelled by train instead then this wouldn't have happened! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DLA365

Hmm - their story sounds a bit fishy, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

The exact same incident might not have happened if they went by train, but if they were foolish enough to boast about the money in their rucksack or even open it, some passengers might have grabbed a share of the money either forcibly or stealthily.

The question is, in modern times is it really necessary to carry such large amounts of cash?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
DLA365 said:
The question is, in modern times is it really necessary to carry such large amounts of cash?
Good point.

Some people find it unusual if I pay for something that costs £100 with cash...

But I can see why people are reluctant to pay for everything by card - for obvious privacy reasons.

I do get fed up of my bank always asking me why I'm buying so many train tickets! :roll:

I now refuse to buy from thetrainline.com as they don't want my custom, so I may now withdraw money from the cash machine at the station and pay in cash. (After using thetrainline.com and atoc.org to find the cheapest combination/routeing, of course ;) )

But taking huge amounts of cash over a long distance is crazy!

Coxster

Established Member
I wish it was 15/20 miles north! I would've stood on the M3 bridge about a 1 minute walk from my house and caught some :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.