• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What route are Manchester Piccadilly - Victoria direct services taking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtradj

There is a service this evening from Man Airport to York, via Piccadilly and Victoria. I didn't know trains were running between the two stations yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
Especially since the Ordsall Chord is under construction... ;)

Class 170101

Established Member
Reversing at Salford Crescent is a regular diversion for TPE for their overnight services.

Mulberry2016

Can't get to Victoria any other way unless it grows wings and flys there lol ( or it reverses at Picaddilly and goes via Ardwick and reverses again at Stalybridge)

Last edited:

Established Member
One other alternative. Picc to Ordsall Lane Jn, start of the Chat Moss line, then reverse there and over the viaduct to Vic. Used it a few times on nights 1P01 or 03 when Salford Crescent is unavailable.

Last edited:

alexl92

Established Member
What's the reason for stopping at both; aren't they a relatively short walk apart anyway?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
What's the reason for stopping at both; aren't they a relatively short walk apart anyway?

Have you ever been to Manchester?

Picc to Vic can be walked by a fit adult unencumbered by luggage in a little under 15 minutes (I've done it plenty of times). The other way is a little slower because of the difference in elevations. But at times when any connecting bus service is not operating it is likely to be rather intimidating to strangers. Try navigating around any unfamiliar city-centre after dark. Oh and it rains rather regularly in Manchester.

lejog

Established Member
There is a service this evening from Man Airport to York, via Piccadilly and Victoria. I didn't know trains were running between the two stations yet?

On Sundays this summer there were 2tph between Piccadilly and Victoria, as services from Manchester Airport to Leeds were diverted via the Calder Valley line to Dewsbury. In the past some night services were timetabled to take this route for route retention purposes, but I'm not sure any regular services are currently necessary given the planned number of diversions.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
One other alternative. Picc to Ordsall Lane Jn, start of the Chat Moss line, then reverse there and over the viaduct to Vic. Used it a few times on nights 1P01 or 03 when Salford Crescent is unavailable.

Since TPE are now running a weekly route retention passenger service over the Philip's Park line, is it also possible to run Piccadilly to Victoria or direct to the Calder Valley line east of Manchester by reversing at Ashburys? This is a theoretical question, I realise that for current Airport services it would mean 2 reversals.

Last edited:

alexl92

Established Member
Have you ever been to Manchester?

Picc to Vic can be walked by a fit adult unencumbered by luggage in a little under 15 minutes (I've done it plenty of times). The other way is a little slower because of the difference in elevations. But at times when any connecting bus service is not operating it is likely to be rather intimidating to strangers. Try navigating around any unfamiliar city-centre after dark. Oh and it rains rather regularly in Manchester.

Oh, fair enough. I've been through Piccadilly plenty of times but not Vic. Have heard someone say in the past they are around a 10 minute stroll apart so would have seemed a waste for a train to call at both. But makes sense.

telstarbox

Established Member
It is a fairly straightforward walk once you've done it once, but it would be a lot simpler if TfGM just allowed free Metrolink transfers on NR journeys involving Piccadilly and Victoria.

Greybeard33

Established Member
It is a fairly straightforward walk once you've done it once, but it would be a lot simpler if TfGM just allowed free Metrolink transfers on NR journeys involving Piccadilly and Victoria.

The free Metroshuttle 1 and 2 buses also provide a frequent service between the two stations - but only until 1900 Mon-Sat, 1800 Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.