• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

what the..? Greater Anglia to scrap clipping train tickets to protect wrists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Carpal tunnel ?

I can imagine it seems a little odd on the surface but clipping 100 tickets may be fine but 10,000 tickets later and your looking at long term wrist damage*

*dammit ruk I'm a Driver not a Dr.

pemma

Veteran Member
So Abellio Anglia are concerned that conductors clipping up to 600 tickets per journey could give them RSI - sounds a reasonable assumption to me. They've used clippers making a mess as a secondary reason for proposing to get rid of them.

tsr

Established Member
At my TOC ticket clippers are not compulsory. Once trained, staff can use them or any other method they choose to prevent fraud. I usually find a headcode and date in Sharpie fineliner works OK, but I do use a hole punch if I need to go through a magstripe, and even novelty clippers at some times of year :D

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
You can also get RSI by holding a pen in a certain way for long periods of time :(

What'll be next, a wage increase demand for wear and tear of shoe leather?

Has there been any reported accidents in the use of clippers, i.e. clipping one's finger by mistake?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This appears to be entirely down to Greater Anglia.

Personally, I use a mixture of clippers and sharpie markers. Never had any problems myself, but each to their own!

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Yesterday we had the school where they can't blow a whistle to end playtime as it's deemed "violence" so the teacher puts their hand in the air instead.
We've been clipping tickets for 100 years or more I wonder how many medical problems it's caused.

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
You can also get RSI by holding a pen in a certain way for long periods of time :(

Has there been any reported accidents in the use of clippers, i.e. clipping one's finger by mistake?

It would be reasonable for guards to get tax relief (through a standard allowance) for shoe wear given the miles they walk up and down trains.

(My father - a driver - was given modest tax relief on watch repair costs as it was a tool of his trade.)

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
TOC's provide the shoes, so no.

And fraudsters have figured out nail varnish remover also removes sharpie ink, however, too much stains the edges of the ticket.

Endorse the ticket on the back, then it cannot be removed. That's what I do, 1P55 off the commuters using open tickets as seasons!

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Yesterday we had the school where they can't blow a whistle to end playtime as it's deemed "violence" so the teacher puts their hand in the air instead.
We've been clipping tickets for 100 years or more I wonder how many medical problems it's caused.

I know colleagues with RSI that has been attributed at least partially to ticket clipping. I never use one.

Established Member
That's my vote for non-story of the year already sorted. Should have been Alan Partridge reporting instead ;)

It other news, in Norwich today a cat got stuck up a tree......

tsr

Established Member
Really!? Honestly, I never knew that...

They're part of standard safety equipment required for most frontline railway roles, and as such they must be provided. Railway safety shoes/boots have (or used to have, up to recently - I think it's still in force) their own safety standards too.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The sensible long-term idea is in my view to scan the barcode on all tickets and store the "grip" electronically in far more detail than a stamp or punch ever can.

Master29

Established Member
Daft that an issue is being made out of this. RSI is nowadays a recognised condition in many areas of work. Nothing to do with `elf and safety gone mad`

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
The sensible long-term idea is in my view to scan the barcode on all tickets and store the "grip" electronically in far more detail than a stamp or punch ever can.

Those same barcodes should show the usage info to those checking tickets and to the ticket barriers. Scan a ticket, location date and time instantly uploaded to the cloud and instantly accessible when scanned again. That way there can be no arguement if and when a ticket has been used or not, and from where to where in the case of a break of journey.

Needs the train companies to put their heart into manning barriers and ticket checks properly and give the revenue protection officers the facilities powers and skills they need

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Those same barcodes should show the usage info to those checking tickets and to the ticket barriers. Scan a ticket, location date and time instantly uploaded to the cloud and instantly accessible when scanned again. That way there can be no arguement if and when a ticket has been used or not, and from where to where in the case of a break of journey.

Needs the train companies to put their heart into manning barriers and ticket checks properly and give the revenue protection officers the facilities powers and skills they need

And what happens when there is no internet access?
Outside your urban areas there are still large areas that do not have adequate or any suitable access.<D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And what happens when there is no internet access?
Outside your urban areas there are still large areas that do not have adequate or any suitable access.<D

The "grips" would be queued up in the guard's portable device to upload when it comes into signal. It's a tiny amount of data, so for an entire train's worth it would take seconds.

tankmc

Would also help with Delay Repay. Both to stop people claiming when they didn't travel AND top prove that a claimant DID travel.

I have been refused nearly every claim on my season ticket by GN. Some of the excuses are "This train was not delayed" when it was delayed by a hour and a half and the latest one is "We do not have a departure from this station at the time you specified". If its scanned you can easily prove if you are due a refund.

HH

Established Member
They could use a ZIFA stamper. Don't need the pressure of clippers.

pne

And fraudsters have figured out nail varnish remover also removes sharpie ink, however, too much stains the edges of the ticket.

Endorse the ticket on the back, then it cannot be removed. That's what I do, 1P55 off the commuters using open tickets as seasons!

Why can ink be removed from the front of the ticket but not from the back?

TheManWho

Sorry to arrive late to the party- I don't need a wage increase for wear and tear of shoe leather, my company issues me with shoes to wear whilst I'm at work so they pay for wear and tear :D

Status
Not open for further replies.