• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to ask drivers and/or driver managers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanY3105

Hi folks,

I have recently passed my first assessment and awaiting a date to attend my DMI. I've be told that visiting a depot and finding a driver or manager to question them on the role is good practise and will put me in a good position when it comes to interview.

My nearest station is Linlithgow and had my assessment through in Glasgow. Are there any others that are in the same area as me or near about that have visited a depot, if so, which depot did you visit? What questions did you ask?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Id2016

Hi ryan
I am in the same boat as yourself. I have passed the first assessments and have my DMI tomorrow. I visited haymarket depot and millerhill depot to ask around but both receptionists have referred me to the drivers station at waverley. My local station is Linlithgow also. There's only so much they can tell you if anything. Go into waverley and ask at information and they will point you in the right direction. Good luck with the interview when it comes.

Stigy

Established Member
Some depots are easier than others to get in to because they’re often not at stations as such. I agree it’s good practice and shows enthusiasm etc. I visited the depot I applied for when applying without freightliner and initially spoke to the most disinterested driver apparently at the station, luckily he pointed me to the managers’ office which was next door so I went and collared them. Didn’t get me a job, but it can only be a positive thing as far as I’m concerned.

I’d use the opportunity to do a lot of the research you should always do when applying for jobs. Ask things like;

1. What routes drivers at said depot sign?
  2. What the shifts are like?
  3. What traction they sign?
  4. How many trainees are they looking for?
  5. How many drivers do they have based there?
Only need to ask a few questions as it’s always nice to have a few in your back pocket to ask at the interview itself.

RyanY3105

Hi ryan
I am in the same boat as yourself. I have passed the first assessments and have my DMI tomorrow. I visited haymarket depot and millerhill depot to ask around but both receptionists have referred me to the drivers station at waverley. My local station is Linlithgow also. There's only so much they can tell you if anything. Go into waverley and ask at information and they will point you in the right direction. Good luck with the interview when it comes.

Can you PM me please.

RyanY3105

Some depots are easier than others to get in to because they’re often not at stations as such. I agree it’s good practice and shows enthusiasm etc. I visited the depot I applied for when applying without freightliner and initially spoke to the most disinterested driver apparently at the station, luckily he pointed me to the managers’ office which was next door so I went and collared them. Didn’t get me a job, but it can only be a positive thing as far as I’m concerned.

I’d use the opportunity to do a lot of the research you should always do when applying for jobs. Ask things like;

1. What routes drivers at said depot sign?
  2. What the shifts are like?
  3. What traction they sign?
  4. How many trainees are they looking for?
  5. How many drivers do they have based there?
Only need to ask a few questions as it’s always nice to have a few in your back pocket to ask at the interview itself.

Thanks for this mate. When you say what traction they sign, what does that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.