• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to wear for guards assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kc75

I have an assessment day shortly for a guards job.
What have people worn to these in the past was is it a suit and tie or would pants shirt and a smart jumper be ok ?

Thanks KC

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
What have people worn to these in the past was is it a suit and tie or would pants shirt and a smart jumper be ok ?

Thanks KC

I hope to God you mean trousers

6Gman

Established Member
Even though it's December probably best not to wear flashing reindeer antlers!

Seriously, probably the smarter the better!

Kc75

Thanks for the corrections trousers it is then :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Whistle

Said with a south london drawl...

Thanks for that looks like it's the whistle then.

Flik

Thanks KC

Suit and tie and then you can't go wrong :)

Established Member

Thanks KC

Suit and tie always. Shiny shoes.

G136GREYHOUND

A decent, clean, pressed neutral suit with a good trouser belt, a matching pressed clean shirt, a matching pressed tie with no soup stains, shined shoes and non white or stupid colour socks. Shave, wear a watch, turn your f***ing phone off, don't have loads of crap bulging in your pockets

IKB

A decent, clean, pressed neutral suit with a good trouser belt, a matching pressed clean shirt, a matching pressed tie with no soup stains, shined shoes and non white or stupid colour socks. Shave, wear a watch, turn your f***ing phone off, don't have loads of crap bulging in your pockets

I agree. I wore a suit to all my assessments and interviews. I'm struggling to think why anyone wouldn't.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I should caution all readers that they should not expect this to apply during a guard's training course or at any point thereafter!

And may I caution the fact the term "crap" refers to useless items - not a certain substance

tsr

Established Member
If you have pockets full of crap, you might be better suited to a career in gardening.

Or you may wish to become more adept at avoiding the reverse flush procedure on certain newer stock. Something which would be equally unwelcome to arise at interview, especially for a guard's job although to be fair even the pokiest railway depot interview room is not normally the same as the toilet on a 450.

I think I may have made us digress a little here.

muz379

Established Member
I agree. I wore a suit to all my assessments and interviews. I'm struggling to think why anyone wouldn't.

Funny story actually

For my guards assessments I wore tracksuit bottoms and a hooded top with some trainers .

I had sat and failed a drivers assessments a few years previous to which I had worn a smart suit / tie / shoes combination . At that there was a mixture of internals in their company uniform . full suit and tie guys and a small number wearing jeans/tees/jumpers . It made no difference one of the guys wearing his jeans and tee actually got the job as I knew him previous to the day

For this reason I decided for my guards assessment I would dress casual , the invitation made no mention of dress code and did not mention an interview either just 2 tests .On the day in question I was suffering from flu having lost my voice and having a high temperature so I decided to put comfort over image .

I will admit though being the only one there not in smart clothing it was awkward , however made no difference as I got the job , and actually got on a course before a lot of the people who attended the same assessment day .

CromptonLad

Fair play to the guy who went in trackies!

Most went suited and booted, and I would usually advise this as the TOC recruitments I've been to, they take a mugshot [for what reasons, unknown - someone can enlighten me?] plus it gives off a good impression - usually.

RailwayDog

Most went suited and booted, and I would usually advise this as the TOC recruitments I've been to, they take a mugshot [for what reasons, unknown - someone can enlighten me?]

Nothing sinister other than than helping with recall! When you've seen hundreds of people over a week they all tend to blend into one....with a photo plus interview notes it's a lot quicker to remember and identify and subsequently remember all the great things about the person! With the increasing number of on-hold lists it could be months before your application is looked at again, when a manager looks at his/her list a picture brings it back a lot quicker than remember that chap who scored 14! :)

CromptonLad

Thanks for the heads up, Railway Dog. Saw it kind of sinister, especially as I ended up with two red and a technically-probably-a-red 'amber'.

Still found it sinister.

Then again, I avoid photos. When possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.