• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to wear: Shunter/maintenance team member interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEYMO911

Hi there,

What do you think is most appropriate for this kind of interview? Suit and tie doesn't feel right given the nature of the role.

Would steel toes, black jeans and a smart shirt work?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rosa1989

This is really up to you, but bear in mind the effort you put in to what you wear shows a lot about the effort you put into things in general - as someone who has interviewed hundreds of people.

It’s those little nuances which can make you memorable as someone who cares enough to go a little further than others.

Dirty finger nails are a surprising frequent turnoff for employers at interview.

Nym

Established Member
I'd (personally) wear the most well presented and smart version of what you'd reasonably expected to conduct the job in. (That for me means a suit.) but if you go for the jeans and smart shirt approach (or similar), make sure they're perfectly clean and turned out. Safety footwear for example good, scratty knackered safety footwear bad.

Bigfoot

Hi there,

What do you think is most appropriate for this kind of interview? Suit and tie doesn't feel right given the nature of the role.

Thanks.
Dress to impress always. Better to be overdressed than underdressed. When they can't decide between two candidates, the appearance of one might show a willingness the other didn't.

When I had my first interviews and assessments on the railway as a shunter it was full suit everytime. The final two candidates for interview was myself and another. Both in full suit.

REO Nate

Hi there,

Thanks.

Suit and tie every day, but a casual grey or navy suit would work perfectly.

How you present yourself is key to how they will view your pride and personal responsibility. It also portrays an image of professionalism and shows you are taking the process seriously.

Good luck!

66701GBRF

Hi there,

Thanks.
Dress as smart as you would for any other interview, the job really doesn’t change that.

Nym

Established Member
Suit and tie every day, but a casual grey or navy suit would work perfectly.

How you present yourself is key to how they will view your pride and personal responsibility. It also portrays an image of professionalism and shows you are taking the process seriously.

Good luck!
Off topic.

But is anyone else sick of this, “you need to dress right for the role” excrement that seems to be working its way back in lately?

Ie. Murmurings that office staff will need to wear a tie again etc.

Bigfoot

Off topic.

But is anyone else sick of this, “you need to dress right for the role” excrement that seems to be working its way back in lately?

Ie. Murmurings that office staff will need to wear a tie again etc.
An employer can specify what it wants an employee to wear as part of its policies. If you don't want to wear it then you're free to leave to another employer. It's not an unreasonable request by them.

Nym

Established Member
An employer can specify what it wants an employee to wear as part of its policies. If you don't want to wear it then you're free to leave to another employer. It's not an unreasonable request by them.
I’m fully aware of this… it’s more a question of why employers (and more often local managers) feel the need to do so.
The value of a worker shouldn’t be how they’re dressed it should be in the quality of work they produce

12LDA28C

Established Member
I’m fully aware of this… it’s more a question of why employers (and more often local managers) feel the need to do so.
The value of a worker shouldn’t be how they’re dressed it should be in the quality of work they produce

What's wrong with having an expected standard of attire in the workplace? Your second sentence sounds exactly what someone who couldn't be arsed to look smart would say. If you remove that requirement and tell staff they can wear what they like to work, it wouldn't be long before people started turning up in something inappropriate such as jeans and t-shirt with an expletive printed on the front or suchlike. In my experience, people dressing the same at work as they do at home soon leads to people bringing in behaviours from home into the workplace which is very rarely a good thing.

Gemz91

Shirt, tie and trousers. You can buy a cheap pair of trousers at Primark so no excuse not to wear something smart in my opinion. I’ve never owned a suit in my life so never worn a suit to a job interview before, that of course doesn’t mean a suit wouldn’t be suitable.

The Puddock

If you remove that requirement and tell staff they can wear what they like to work, it wouldn't be long before people started turning up in something inappropriate such as jeans and t-shirt with an expletive printed on the front or suchlike. In my experience, people dressing the same at work as they do at home soon leads to people bringing in behaviours from home into the workplace which is very rarely a good thing.

You’ll be shocked when you find out about signallers then…

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Thanks all, the question has been suitably answered and the original poster has responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.