• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to you describe as an "Old Train"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Goddard

Established Member
At this moment in time, I think the notional old train/new split is, as others have said, pretty much aligned with the time of privatisation. The well documented 1,064 day hiatus in new train orders reinforces this split, at a time when designs moved forward and new manufacturers came into play.
Therefore, any BR era train can be considered "old" while trains ordered by the privatised operators and their ROSCOS are still "new".
I expect it will be another ten years (probably once the Sprinters have all gone and we have another generation of stock with us) until we start to see any of this post privatisation stock classed as old.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RealTrains07

Established Member
When trains reach 40 years. Thats what I count as old and needs replacing.

So right now thats any train put into service in 1982 or before I would class as old.

Status
Not open for further replies.