• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What was your favourite bus type as a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunsBus

Established Member
The 11 Northern coach seated Metrobuses with Gardner turbo charged engines were quite something.
They were indeed. Even in their latter years they were still capable of leaving cars behind from a standing start at traffic lights.
Gardner 6LXDT engines powered these fine beasts, the first and as it turned out the only use of this engine in buses.

One, 3787, was fitted with a Volvo D10A engine during 1998. I think the idea was to do the other 10, but fitting or to be more precise squeezing the Volvo lump into 3787 was not without its problems and it reminded a one-off. It certainly seemed to work well, though and left Go North East service a few years after the others did.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mb88

Growing up in Jarrow, my childhood favourite was the Mk2 Leyland Nationals operated by VFM Buses. Also the weird and wonderful assortment of vehicles operated by OK Travel, although I’d struggle to name any of them. Trips down to Seaburn were always a delight as you never knew what might turn up on the service. My sisters and I used to call it ‘the OK Bumpy Bus’.

K4016td

Growing up in Poland I can't seem to forget about Ikaruses, especially about my favourite model which was Ikarus 280.26 with a manual gearbox. Up until late 90s, sometimes early 2000s these were in majority in most large Polish towns including Warsaw where at some point these were almost 100% of the fleet.

neilmc

Leeds City Transport Park Royal bodies AEC Regent 3s 401-449. At the time they were the only surviving buses with no rear destination box which made them look really old to me. I lived in Cross Gates from 1963 and always tried to catch one of these on the 24 Swarcliffe or 40 Stanks as opposed to the busier 4 Cross Gates-Horsforth which used more modern buses. Also they tended to run sprightly as they didn't pick up very much on their inward journeys.

When we went on holiday to Bridlington I was entranced by the Beverley Bar double-deckers in their lovely livery.

Going to Huddersfield Poly at 17 in 1971 meant I was no longer a kid and buses weren't that cool any more, but the motley collection of old rear-platform half cabs retained at Longroyd Bridge for peak operations were enticing, especially since most of them were still going when I graduated three years later due to HCT not buying any new buses with the PTE in the offing! The conservative styling made them look older than they were especially the two exposed-radiator Guy Arabs.

Amos

I liked riding on Daimler Fleetlines on the back seat as this was always so warm, and the third/fourth gear whine was pleasing; but as a student in the early 1980s the pinnacle, for me, was the Bristol RE: preferably sitting on the offside, just forward of the rear wheels, with the window open getting the glorious exhaust sound effects. I little dreamed that one day I’d own one.
I’m with you on the Bristol. Warrington borough transport had three or four of the RESL when I was a kid, and though it was a lottery as to where and when they would run, it was a real treat when one turned up. I used to love the red leather seats.

AndrewP

For me the Northern Routemaster when I was very small. So different to everything else.

Yes I am old!

70F

Growing up in Portsmouth, I was always fascinated by the unusual Crossleys, plus the Provincial exotica across the harbour in Gosport, together with the Lodekkas etc to be found in Fareham and the Southdown Queen Mary’s.

kingston_toon

Being originally from the west of Scotland, I have to go for the Clydeside and Western Y-type Leyland Leopards, although regular family holidays "down south" opened up a world of exoticism, and I had particular soft spots for the Blackpool Optare Deltas and Eastbourne Northern Counties Olympians.

It's great that so many of these types have made it into preservation.

RacsoMoquette

I found the Metroline 03/04 registration Plaxton President bodied Volvo B7TL to be one of my favorites. This being due to their rear doors opening inwards and the horribly dirty luminous straps that deterred customers from being caught in the doors while opening. I also found the drivers telescope hole on the front offside seats on the upper deck to be an intriguing feature, as upon looking down it, you could see the head of the driver. Such how the little things on buses change so much just over the course of merely a decade!

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I grew up on a new development which didn't get a bus service until years after we moved on so my childhood memories of buses are limited. In the town centre I used to notice Alder Valley's half-cabs (Lodekkas or Lolines?) as they seemed so old fashioned. When I started secondary school it was almost new with just a single playing field so when we had Games the girls got the school field while us boys were bussed to a recreation ground a couple of miles away, Alder Valley providing either a RE or National. The latter made a much more favourable impression on me as they seemed much airier and modern.

Summer staycations with relatives in SE London provided trips out but the local services were dominated by Fleetlines which I didn't like, very boxy looking and I always felt that LT red was a dull colour. A positive memory was of Metropolitans which worked a route close by: they stood out with their asymmetric windscreens highlighted by the large metal trims underneath.

Another strong memory came from my early train spotting trips with friends to Reading. Often we'd take a break in the town centre at some point and while the Alder Valley vehicles in the town seemed familiar enough Reading's own fleet was decidedly alien by comparison, Northern Counties bodied VRs and Strachans or Pennine bodied REs, all of which looked incredibly boxy yet stylish in Reading's maroon livery. It was some years later having become more interested in buses that I realised what an unusual buying policy existed there.

It was only as a young adult that I really came to have a favourite bus type. Having moved to Manchester I soon became familiar with the sea of GM Standards along with the (mostly peak-hours only) Mancunians so the existence of a decent number of Metrobuses which even operated on my patch was most welcome. The distinctive Gardner/Voith aural combination was a most welcome accompaniment to regular forays on the famous Oxford Road corridor. And things got even better when similar sounding Dominators came on the scene: these even had a suspension that was actually up to the job!

ian1944

Not a type, but a particular bus: MCTD's 4444, new in 1954, Daimlet CVG6K with 60 seat MCW body. My journey to school was on whatever Northenden garage put out in the morning, a real mixed bag of Crossleys, Leylands and Daimlers, 7 feet 6 and 6 feet wide, old and older. When the 44s arrived they were on a different level, and 4444 happened to be the first I rode on so naturally became the favourite. It's not been preserved at the Manchester Museum of Transport, but I saw it once at the Bury Transport useum so hope that it's still there.

Though Northenden closed as a bus garage, the building is still standing in its innovative shape with Grade II* listing.

mjc

Not from a bus family so didn’t get to use them much as a kid and whilst I have some memories from when I was young it was more about the overall experience rather than the bus itself.

Going to college at 16 meant regular bus use, and torn for favourite between the (for then!) spacious comfortable interior and sleep, modern design of the Merc/Plaxton Beaver 2 and the oddball, but quick and comfy seats, that was the PMT Knype: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30109352@N00/6897546999/in/photostream/

Snow1964

Established Member
Growing up in rural Hampshire / Dorset borders, they were all green Bristol double decks (Hants and Dorset) in late 1960s and early 1970s. Hardly ever travelled by bus.

But when we occasionally went into Bournemouth I always wanted to go on the yellow open tops, they were much more modern, probably were Atlanteens

jp4712

Not a type, but a particular bus: MCTD's 4444, new in 1954, Daimlet CVG6K with 60 seat MCW body. My journey to school was on whatever Northenden garage put out in the morning, a real mixed bag of Crossleys, Leylands and Daimlers, 7 feet 6 and 6 feet wide, old and older. When the 44s arrived they were on a different level, and 4444 happened to be the first I rode on so naturally became the favourite. It's not been preserved at the Manchester Museum of Transport, but I saw it once at the Bury Transport useum so hope that it's still there.

Though Northenden closed as a bus garage, the building is still standing in its innovative shape with Grade II* listing.
I regret to say that 4444 was never preserved: it was sold for scrap in April 1975. Sorry!

In this thread I've already highlighted my affection for Fleetlines and Bristol REs: I forgot the MCW Metropolitan, that I encountered when in Newcastle as a student. I loved those things! It's hard to describe unless you've been on one. The noises, the torque converter transmission, the roller-coaster air suspension... It's a pity they were such rot boxes. I took many photos of them, one is shown below.

Tyne & Wear Metropolitan 781, March 1984 by Paul Williams, on Flickr

Sussexwatch

Growing up in the 60s I'd have to say Atlanteans although I didn't see them often. I remember visiting Plymouth while on holiday in Devon around 1965 and seeing Royal Parade full of bright red Atlanteans, they looked amazing. Then in the 70s's it had to be Metropolitans for all the reasons others have said. If the FRM had ever gone into production I'm sure that would have featured too.

Falcon1200

Established Member
I grew up in Oxford

So did I! Although a bit later on, as my favourites were the AEC Renowns; On one service they terminated and stood at the end of our street, before it became a (very busy) through road, doing that now would make today's traffic chaos even worse. I also liked the VRs on which I travelled to secondary school.

birchesgreen

Established Member
My earliest memory is being on a West Midlands Fleetline, and that has always remained my favourite bus. I even have one of those wonderful Rapido models of one. :)

scosutsut

Dennis Dorchester and later Volvo B10Ms. Always been about the thrash.

As every generation finds themselves saying at one point or another, they don't make them like they used to.

Spamcan81

Southdown Leyland PD3, especially the open top ones. We didn't live in the area, but holidays and many summer weekends were spent on Hayling Island.

Same here. Many happy times spent visiting my aunt in Chichester and riding buses into the city centre and further afield.
We're both showing our age. :)

175mph

On Moderation
The Optare Metroriders and later the Solos Lincolnshire RoadCar had. The Solos seemed to take particularly well to when the driver put their foot down when running late. Other buses like Dennis Darts felt rather uncomfortable in comparison when run at top speed.

It really felt like the end of an era when Stagecoach withdrew the Solos. :(

d1672

My favourite buses growing up were Glasgow Corporation D117 - D216 Daimler CVG6's with Alexander Bodies. Midland MRF class Daimler CRG6's with Alexander bodies. Central SMT Bristol Lodekkas and the numerous Scottish W and Y type Daimlers and Leopards.

Wolfie

Established Member
images (1).jpeg

The buses of the early part of my Shropshire childhood....

Roger1973

I grew up on a new development which didn't get a bus service until years after we moved on so my childhood memories of buses are limited. In the town centre I used to notice Alder Valley's half-cabs (Lodekkas or Lolines?) as they seemed so old fashioned.

Probably depends where in Alder Valley land you were.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but Alder Valley was a merger between Thames Valley (former British Transport Commission company centred on Reading, with depots including Newbury, High Wycombe, Maidenhead, Bracknell) and Aldershot and District (former British Electric Traction company centred on Aldershot, other depots included Guildford and Woking.)

TV as a nationalised company mostly bought Bristol / Eastern Coach Works products, and they had Lodekkas of various varieties, including a proportion bought second hand from other BTC companies. Example (not my Flickr account or photo) here. A+D standardised on the Dennis Loline as their double decker - example (also not my Flickr account or photo) here. Both had earlier, rear entrance versions, although I'm not sure how many of either survived long enough to pass to Alder Valley.

Alder Valley inherited a shortage of serviceable vehicles and maintenance staff from Thames Valley and the new company had a phase in the 1970s of hiring in a wide variety of buses from several operators to keep the Reading depot (in particular) going. A few Dennis Lolines moved north to Reading, I'm not aware of any Lodekkas that moved south to the former A + D depots, but I can't be sure that it didn't happen.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I mentioned upthread my favourite bus being the Bristol MW. Here’s a photo by Paul Webber of Totnes my local bus garage in 1979. Ooh,lovely Bristols - I remember them well. The pub is still open and is now a freehouse and serves excellent ale, one of which is from the barrel.

9E87CDE3-F556-4823-A7FB-2E7370924F92.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Roger1973

I have faint memories of RTs in South East London (I grew up near Lewisham on South London's last RT route, and was taken for a ride on the decorated 'last bus' (flickr photo here - again neither my photo or account) - during the afternoon or early evening rather than being out for the last journey of the day that is. There were a few bus workers in the extended family so I think it would have been planned rather than chance.

In answer to the original question, RTs rather than RMs which were never quite as good.

ClydeCoaster

My main local operator had a ragtag mix of literally anything and everything going, both new and used. Toward the end of their operation they had amassed a sizeable fleet of Ailsas, which at the time I grew bored of but I now desperately miss their whining. As a favourite double decker I find it hard to choose between the Fleetline and Atlantean chassis, but the body has to be Alexander AL as in my profile picture. Single decker would have to be the ubiquitous SBG Leyland Leopard/Alexander AY (the Western version, panoramic windows and narrow entrance) and coach is the Leyland Leopard with Plaxton Supreme body - though specifically the early round headlight version (the rectangles I still think look ungainly!)

1955LR

1960's Birmingham City Transport , the unusual Leyland Tiger PS2/1 Weyman B34F single decker on the 27 route which went under the low bridge in Bournville lane by Cadburys . I was fascinated by the short climb up side entrance to get in compared with the open rear deck on everything else

Attachments

• JOJ-231.jpg
    JOJ-231.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.