• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What were you before you joined the railway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feaky4

Ha, it was exactly normal everyday office jobs :) sat at a desk in an open plan office, emails, meetings, telecons, appraisals... almost stereotypical office jobs I’d say! Hope I don’t end up missing it too much :-/

I dont get what in doing wrong then I work in a pharmacy where theres so many situations but i just cant get past the sift i feel like they just see pharmacy as standard retail on the app form and bin me. I'm very confident with the tests and interview but I just dont see my self getting that far

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
I dont get what in doing wrong then I work in a pharmacy where theres so many situations but i just cant get past the sift i feel like they just see pharmacy as standard retail on the app form and bin me. I'm very confident with the tests and interview but I just dont see my self getting that far
The hardest part is often the papersift. It depends how your chosen TOC worlds too. For example, some will just go straight to a SJT and not even require an application form, whereas some require an in-depth competency based application form to be completed and/or a CV and covering letter. The former approach I think is best, as there’s not really a sift as such, and is based solely on one’s aptitude, up until the psychometric assesments have been completed, then it’s either straight to DMI, or they’ll ask for CV etc at that point, forming a kind of sift?

feaky4

The hardest part is often the papersift. It depends how your chosen TOC worlds too. For example, some will just go straight to a SJT and not even require an application form, whereas some require an in-depth competency based application form to be completed and/or a CV and covering letter. The former approach I think is best, as there’s not really a sift as such, and is based solely on one’s aptitude, up until the psychometric assesments have been completed, then it’s either straight to DMI, or they’ll ask for CV etc at that point, forming a kind of sift?
Now with northern you upload a cv and cover letter and thatd it before it was cv and awnser like 4 questions (both which I'm confident with) but both times just no luck it's my 4th rejection just dont see where I'm going wrong

Stigy

Established Member
Now with northern you upload a cv and cover letter and thatd it before it was cv and awnser like 4 questions (both which I'm confident with) but both times just no luck it's my 4th rejection just dont see where I'm going wrong
Luck of the draw sometimes. I failed a similar process a few times with SWR, once they went to FirstGroup and the application process changed I passed that process first time. I’m an internal candidate too. I was told the part I failed on was the ‘ten questions’ SJT they had applicants carry out. I was honestly getting to the point where I was selecting silly answers as I really couldn’t understand it. Bear in mind they wouldn’t normally give feedback atvtgat stage either, so if I took that for granted I’d really be blind to where I was going wrong.

Did you tailor your CV to the job role and explain the competencies you have by going over things you have done in your current role.

Surely a pharmacy is a regulation laden role and that’s easily something you can use to your advantage, incorrect medications can be life or death, as well as requiring high degrees of concentration ensuring that each person is assigned their correct prescription, and naturally it’s a customer facing role too.

Did you cover these things and tailor your CV specifically, I worked a couple hours on tailoring mine.

feaky4

Did you tailor your CV to the job role and explain the competencies you have by going over things you have done in your current role.

Surely a pharmacy is a regulation laden role and that’s easily something you can use to your advantage, incorrect medications can be life or death, as well as requiring high degrees of concentration ensuring that each person is assigned their correct prescription, and naturally it’s a customer facing role too.

Did you cover these things and tailor your CV specifically, I worked a couple hours on tailoring mine.
I believe I have I got my gf to over look it as she has better words and grammar then me to but yeah very regulated specially with controlled drugs I put concentration I even put in that I had to do a 6 month course to get my nvq level 2 which you have to do to stay in the job that's why I'm confused about not getting it. Any time I apply for any job I always have the job advert up and I always explain in a way why/how I cover that requirement I even put down about playing guitar to show show I have dedication hand eye coordination ect to.

feaky4

Luck of the draw sometimes. I failed a similar process a few times with SWR, once they went to FirstGroup and the application process changed I passed that process first time. I’m an internal candidate too. I was told the part I failed on was the ‘ten questions’ SJT they had applicants carry out. I was honestly getting to the point where I was selecting silly answers as I really couldn’t understand it. Bear in mind they wouldn’t normally give feedback atvtgat stage either, so if I took that for granted I’d really be blind to where I was going wrong.
Some times i think it is I applied for a conductor job I dont even know I even got the online assessment my cover letter was for the wrong job ha ha. I thought maybe northern changing to what it has now would be easier but nope I was wrong

Ladder23

Established Member
Plasterer, worked for a great company which went bust whilst I was on holiday, unbelievable news at the time. I then went self employed for 6-7 months, I struggled, mentally too, it was a shock to the system. To make up funds I also got a job as a loader for a commercial refuse company working in between. I did this till I managed to get on the railway where deep down I always wanted (and tried to get on!!). Never looked back, started as a p way operative, now working for S&T.

Ladder23

Established Member
Firefighter....waiting for a trainee drivers start date

this interests me as I am currently going through the fire-fighter process, I managed last year to get to the final interview which I thought I nailed, turned out the 3 guys taken on were already in house, which can't be argued with really, however I have gone for it again this year, whether I take the offer if I was offered is another thing, as its a big drop in pay (but its always been my dream).

Do you think going for the job would be silly in your eyes?

Stevos

Stick with it ,I applied for around 8 jobs and had no joy with any of them.im staring in 1 week as a trainee driver. Take your time with the application questions as this is what will put you above other applicants.

Indy3995

this interests me as I am currently going through the fire-fighter process, I managed last year to get to the final interview which I thought I nailed, turned out the 3 guys taken on were already in house, which can't be argued with really, however I have gone for it again this year, whether I take the offer if I was offered is another thing, as its a big drop in pay (but its always been my dream).

Do you think going for the job would be silly in your eyes?
I did 13 years in the Brigade and its changed for the worse in many many ways. Pay is so far behind its untrue, pension down the drain, government would love to privatise the service (Grenfell and now brexit have put that on the back burner for now)
Dont want to start a debate on the rail forum about it all though but will say finally that all the Firefighters I know that have left, are glad they did. Potentially risk your life for £13 an hour and have to do that till age 60, in the hope of still being fit enough to get a pension, wouldnt advise it but good luck with your application.

martin2345uk

Established Member

I’m totally with you mate - I should have said, I believe the only reason I made it this time was because the company I got through with didn’t asked for a CV or background or anything, it was straight into anonymous online tests. I always used to fail at the sift when it involved sending in a CV...!

Stigy

Established Member
I’m totally with you mate - I should have said, I believe the only reason I made it this time was because the company I got through with didn’t asked for a CV or background or anything, it was straight into anonymous online tests. I always used to fail at the sift when it involved sending in a CV...!
The good old Freightliner way? ;)

I think that’s the best way and think all TOCs/FOCs could learn a lot from them. I didn’t get a job as you know, but I have a lot of respect for their processes. Even their talent pool seems to not keep candidates treading water for long when you taken in to account other TOC horror stories :)

Train182

Leaving my job this week in retail management to join the network rail apprenticeship scheme.

Big drop in pay initially, but hopefully it's worth it in the long run.

feaky4

Stick with it ,I applied for around 8 jobs and had no joy with any of them.im staring in 1 week as a trainee driver. Take your time with the application questions as this is what will put you above other applicants.
Cheers its inspired me abit was gona give up but may stick at it

feaky4

Really hoping northern end up adopting the same sort of thing but congrats.

FManc

Onboard caterer —> Onboard catering manager —> trainee driver.

I never in a million years thought I’d have the relevant job experience to become a train driver. However, when I started going through the process I quickly realised I was wrong. The psychometric tests boils down to whether you can do them or not. It’s that simple! The MMI allows you to draw on experiences from your whole life, not just directly work related.

daveswest

Parcel delivery driver going nowhere......Back in the day's when interest and enthusiasm got you a job on the rails :(

feaky4

Are northern literally the only company you can apply to?
Pretty much I live between York and hull so there both just with in 45 mins hull trains never look or if they do it's always qualified and never seen any TPE going at either

LCC106

Established Member
Pretty much I live between York and hull so there both just with in 45 mins hull trains never look or if they do it's always qualified and never seen any TPE going at either
Keep an eye open for TPE, they were advertising at York and other locations a month or two ago.

Stigy

Established Member
What about freight? Loads of freight movements oooop north! ;)

feaky4

Keep an eye open for TPE, they were advertising at York and other locations a month or two ago.
Ah dam so annoyed I missed that!! I usually look at northern and first every day (even southern)

feaky4

What about freight? Loads of freight movements oooop north! ;)

Iv never looked into freight so I have no idea what companys are around I may invest some time this weekend to look I would prefer passenger but just want to get on the rails

martin2345uk

Established Member
Iv never looked into freight so I have no idea what companys are around I may invest some time this weekend to look I would prefer passenger but just want to get on the rails

I’d never considered freight either but then thought, well at the end of the day I want to be a train driver, I don’t really mind whether it’s hauling people or rocks, freight has it’s pluses as well as minuses from what I can see, plus to be honest as you’re now finding out you can’t really be too choosy if you wanna get on the rails! :)

feaky4

I’d never considered freight either but then thought, well at the end of the day I want to be a train driver, I don’t really mind whether it’s hauling people or rocks, freight has it’s pluses as well as minuses from what I can see, plus to be honest as you’re now finding out you can’t really be too choosy if you wanna get on the rails! :)

That's very true it doesn't make to much of a difference what your driving around I really do want to just drive now i will definitely look into it and hope theres some depots close. Are you a freight driver??

AndrewE

Established Member
The freight drivers I dealt with (admittedly a decade ago) were very happy with the variety of traction (and the skill needed to control trains of different weights,) the wide-ranging routes they drove and the fact that they didn't have to do DMU shuttle services!

Stigy

Established Member
I nearly got there haha. The hours are generally less family friendly, with a certain amount of lodging away from home sometimes. Passenger trains are more sociable usually, with minimal night shifts depending on TOC. Plus, you don’t get any travel perks with freight. I work for a TOC at present so to go to Freight would be a bit of a sacrifice, but if it gets me in to driving, it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to take. Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.