• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What would the traction of EuroCity between Interlaken/Zürich - Hanburg in section Basel - Hamburg use when DB 101 is retired?

Veteran Member
Most likely less than what currently is the case unless they find another solution.
Splitting the München to Zürich EC is also under discussion but I doubt they do that.
https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?002,10678552
To save you reading all 176+ comments: both SBB and DB have denied this; among measures will be making the trains set down/pick up only at St Gallen, with extra ICs to keep the half-hourly Takt service from Zürich.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?002,10678552
To save you reading all 176+ comments: both SBB and DB have denied this; among measures will be making the trains set down/pick up only at St Gallen, with extra ICs to keep the half-hourly Takt service from Zürich.
The double-track route between Buchloe - Hergatz must be electrified. I don’t know why they choose to electrify the alternative single-track route instead.

aka Giruno? Still less likely than RJ - why would you diagram an odd Giruno to Graz when everything else in the area is RJ?
I think the Transalpin will get RJ2?

Last edited:

Austriantrain

Established Member
The double-track route between Buchloe - Hergatz must be electrified. I don’t know why they choose to electrify the alternative single-track route instead.

Because it is the faster route and the point was attractive journey times between Munich and Zurich.

Austriantrain

Established Member
then why don’t they turn the route to double-track?

The Germans have a very long list of much more important projects and are struggling to fund them. So it’s not high in priority - indeed, the Swiss had to co-finance electrification to get it done.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
Thought a few EWIV had already been scrapped, albeit only the worst early high milers to provide parts for others (the earliest are getting on for 40 now!)
I think SBB should take on the option of 100 more TWINDEXX Swiss Express from Alstom and the option of 85 more EC250 from Stadler to replace EWIV and B 2173(ex Bpm51)

Much more likely to be RJ sets when it falls due for replacement, as it's partly OeBB stock anyway. It could then use the Koralmbahn which you've got another thread on.
What about the ÖBB seating coach in EC Hortobagy?

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I think SBB should take on the option of 100 more TWINDEXX Swiss Express from Alstom and the option of 85 more EC250 from Stadler to replace EWIV and B 2173(ex Bpm51)

What will happen to Lok 2000? Go onto freight? They used to haul freight over the Gotthard in pairs until the early-00s.

bahnause

What for? The RABe512 are replacing a bunch of the EWIV already. The TWINDEXX can't be used for what they were ordered due to the WAKO not working and you don't need a 15kV/25kV and 3kV DC 250km/h unit to replace an EWIV. I think the options expired anyway.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
What for? The RABe512 are replacing a bunch of the EWIV already. The TWINDEXX can't be used for what they were ordered due to the WAKO not working and you don't need a 15kV/25kV and 3kV DC 250km/h unit to replace an EWIV. I think the options expired anyway.
WAKO?

Nah, the option is not expired
What about the ex Bpm51 and the Eurofima coaches?

Last edited:

bahnause

The WAKO is a tilt system that was supposed to shorten travel times east-west. After years of trying to make it work it has been abandoned now by Bombardier / Alstom and SBB. The bogies will have to undergo a major redesign, to improve the reide quality of the TWINDEXX. The WAKO was the main feature of the train, now the timetable for 2025+ has to be rewritten.

Bpm51 are not in regular service anymore, the Eurofima (they never were Eurofima though) were sold or demolished years ago. All of the Re460 were refurbished and will stay in service for 20 or more years, so are the IC2000 stock. Halve of the IC2000 fleet is already refurbished, the rest will be soon. The remaining fleet of Bpm an EWIV (around 400 or so) will also be refurbished and used in the future. The RABe512 took over some EWIV diagrams, so did the SOB Traverso. There is no rolling stock needed at the moment.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
The remaining fleet of Bpm an EWIV (around 400 or so) will also be refurbished and used in the future. The RABe512 took over some EWIV diagrams, so did the SOB Traverso. There is no rolling stock needed at the moment.
1. The Traverso are jointly owned by SBB CFF FFS and SOB.
2.But the EC coaches and EWIV are used for Ersatzzug.

yes, Ersatz-Zug.
Currently the EC trains still run to Zürich and Interlaken, however that is open to discussion due to the lack of punctuality coming from Germany.
What about the seating coaches in Amsterdam - Zurich NJ and Hamburg - Zurich NJ? What will they use if they are not using SBB EC Coaches or DB IC1? Although a passage in Railvolution said:
Or if, after a period of operation, for example, it became apparent that there was a greater demand for seating in the nightjets, it would be possible to add a railjet car to the NMU, or swap it for another, without the need for additional approval.

duesselmartin

Established Member
not planned. Often Swiss or Austrian routes are used to test trains under severe conditions. However it would be nice if they keep the Swiss option open.

DanielB

Isn't all German long distance stock technically capable to reach Basel SBB? Then it makes sense to also test the ICE L there, should a set once need to replace another ICE.