• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What would you say is the greatest challenge for a train driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Maybe not the "greatest challenge for a train driver" but just how big a nuisance is driving on a route, at the time of the day/year when the sun is really low in the sky, and directly ahead, in the direction of travel?
I find the low sun shining into DOO cameras more annoying/nuisance than it shining through the windscreen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

coxxy

Sleeping or waking up depending on the shift.. Next door neighbour cutting the grass or the kids on the street playing out might mean nothing now.. but when your on nights it will mess you up

Also, staying out of your head if there's something significant going on in your life.. May sound like nothing.. but there really sre times in your life where you don't want to be sat on your own for an 8 hour shift just overthinking things!

Never driven a train but at sea finding navigation lights against a background of light pollution from the shore can be difficult. So seeing railway signals against other lights must be difficult. Especially when those lights are coloured.
Semaphores in an urban environment must be a nightmare.
I'm at Shrewsbury depot which is very semaphore heavy. Behind one set of signals is a building with green emergency lighting which makes picking the signal out in the dark quite interesting.

train_lover

Maybe not the "greatest challenge for a train driver" but just how big a nuisance is driving on a route, at the time of the day/year when the sun is really low in the sky, and directly ahead, in the direction of travel?
Yeah, definitely a good point. It gets me when the sun reflects off the rail head!

Star S W 9

Getting time off for the football, then trying to avoid the score of the football so you can watch it when you get home.

Getting the job.
This response needs a sound and a bright flashing background.

Remembering all the different door codes.

Trying to find enough things to spend all that excessive pay on ....... ;)
Your blatantly not a driver!

Surely you get shades?
Just a thought.....

Seehof

When a particularly unpleasant DTM is with you, do drive as you normally do or drive as you think he would? (And I mean a nasty lazy DTM who would get you to sign his card that he had done a driving turn but not moved the train a foot).

philthetube

Established Member
Remembering all the different door codes.

where I was we had one 1664, now changed, totally inappropriate for the railway but easily remembered.
Rather the sun in front that washing out signals from behind.

bramling

Veteran Member
I've had this a few times and once I asked the guy to turn the flash off, his answer was why !
I then explained why only for him to walk away, that was platform 9 at crewe as I approached a buffer stop.

It doesn't happen very often though luckily, most enthusiasts are pretty switched on regarding photography etichet to be honest.

If someone uses a flash it’s more likely to be a tourist than an enthusiast. Most enthusiasts will (or should!) know that a flash is rarely conducive to getting a decent photo.

Muse29

I'm coming to the end of my hours and the biggest challenge is the politics in the shed. I just want to drive trains but seems like you have to play a load of games with colleagues and managers alike. I've not been on the bad end of things but not looking forward to all that nonsense.

ComUtoR

Established Member
How do you track that?

Typically you mark it on your schedule at the side of each trip. You should also use an aide memoire (has the unit length on), and you are generally protected by a driving policy. I am at a TOC where its possible to drive any formation from 3-12. Typically we have 4/5/8/10 formations.

mmh

Established Member
Few "social" things mentioned here. By "social" I mean at work, rather than your own social life outside work.

For example, the awkward situations like when you know someone regularly has a skinful on their final day off. But you know them, you get on with them. What do you do? "Grass" or is it nothing to do with you?

(Honest answers as to what you'd actually do wanted, not what you think someone judging you would want! I've known this situation twice. They weren't my colleagues, but were people I got on well with and drank with)

LCC106

Established Member
If you’re genuinely worried that they’ll be over the limit for work and you’re good pals a quiet word with them. Or maybe tell them you had a random drugs and alcohol screen on your previous shift and thank flip you hadn’t had a skinful? Then ask if they’ve had one recently? Get that in at the start of your next beer session to make them think a bit. What do others think?

12guard4

If you’re genuinely worried that they’ll be over the limit for work and you’re good pals a quiet word with them. Or maybe tell them you had a random drugs and alcohol screen on your previous shift and thank flip you hadn’t had a skinful? Then ask if they’ve had one recently? Get that in at the start of your next beer session to make them think a bit. What do others think?
You're spot on.

choochoochoo

Established Member

Whilst good advice in general, I doubt the fact I had a D&A test would lead to someone being more careful. In fact it could lead to them being more lax. That's partly because if these are random tests, then the statistics show that if someone has just had one at your depot, the chances of them testing again any time soon is pretty slim.

Also, sadly the I don't think the testing regime is anywhere as robust as it's meant to be. In the years I've been on the railway, I can count the number of people I've known tested at random on one hand.

SLee

Few "social" things mentioned here. By "social" I mean at work, rather than your own social life outside work.

For example, the awkward situations like when you know someone regularly has a skinful on their final day off. But you know them, you get on with them. What do you do? "Grass" or is it nothing to do with you?

(Honest answers as to what you'd actually do wanted, not what you think someone judging you would want! I've known this situation twice. They weren't my colleagues, but were people I got on well with and drank with)
Being blunt, if they are having a skin full and then driving a train the next day they are a danger to themselves and others.

Turning a blind eye to it doesn’t do anyone any favours and could lead to terrible consequences.

I understand that you don’t want to cost anyone their job, but at the end of the day it isn’t you costing them the job, it is themselves. And if they truly respected and appreciated the job they would make sure to be fit for work.

Easier said that done but I’d like to think I’d be having a chat with them face to face and making sure it doesn’t happen again, and if they turned up for duty I’d report them tbh.

Imagine how bad you would feel if he was involved in a safety critical incident and injuries or death came from it and you knew all along he was still under the influence.

Also just to add to that, If I found out myself or any of my family and friends had been on that drivers train after a heavy drinking session I’d be fuming.

E27007

You start as a trainee and management want to issue your full driving ticket asap, management then spend the next 30 years thinking of a reason to take away your full driving ticket asap!

philthetube

Established Member
Tell them to book off or you will report them.

Status
Not open for further replies.