• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's actually happening at Darlington?

AndrewE

Established Member
I can't see any sensible reporting of this "upgrade," although I have searched quite widely. All the publicity (e.g. https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/east-coast/darlington-station-upgrades/) seems to be designed to hide what is actually being built in terms of track layout behind pictures of new buildings - which don't help the rail travellers' understanding, and maybe not their future experience either!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tees-54673481 has a picture which seems to show the existing station with just a single (through?) line leaving the N end, plus maybe 2 or 3 bays at the S end and just one new southbound platform! When I read the first puff I imagined a s-bound island platform, and I think that picture on the BBC report makes it look as though a second one could be in there...

While a new southbound platorm is long overdue, this seems to be repeating all the failures of the past to me: taking out capacity to fit current (suppressed) needs rather than building for the growth which has to come.

By sheer coincidence (I'm sure) that BBC link won't work despite several re-tries to post it

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 18-50-07 _115056795_mediaitem115056794.jpg.webp (WEBP Image 976 × 549...png
    Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 18-50-07 _115056795_mediaitem115056794.jpg.webp (WEBP Image 976 × 549...png
    904.2 KB · Views: 202
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I can't see any sensible reporting of this "upgrade," although I have searched quite widely. All the publicity (e.g. https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/east-coast/darlington-station-upgrades/) seems to be designed to hide what is actually being built in terms of track layout behind pictures of new buildings - which don't help the rail travellers' understanding, and maybe not their future experience either!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tees-54673481 has a picture which seems to show the existing station with just a single (through?) line leaving the N end, plus maybe 2 or 3 bays at the S end and just one new southbound platform! When I read the first puff I imagined a s-bound island platform, and I think that picture on the BBC report makes it look as though a second one could be in there...

While a new southbound platorm is long overdue, this seems to be repeating all the failures of the past to me: taking out capacity to fit current (suppressed) needs rather than building for the growth which has to come.
All depends what come of out the Tees Valley Mayors mouth.

Initially plan was for 2 new local bay platforms and 1 new southbound platform for expresses.

Other days he states it’s 2 new platforms, unsure if bay or a through platform.

However Netwrok rail say it’s just one new platform which will be for Saltburn trains to prevent the need to cross the main line.

I’ve included the link below and the text:-

Working together with Tees Valley Combined Authority, Darlington Borough Council and London North Eastern Railway, we will be providing two new platforms on the Eastern side of the station and a new, fully accessible and enclosed footbridge linking them to the current station building.

New cycle lanes will also be introduced, with bike shelters and a multi-storey car park which will adjoin the new station building. The car park will include secure parking for over 600 cars, including accessible parking bays and electric car charging points.

AndrewE

Established Member
All depends what come of out the Tees Valley Mayors mouth.

Initially plan was for 2 new local bay platforms and 1 new southbound platform for expresses.

Other days he states it’s 2 new platforms, unsure if bay or a through platform.

However Netwrok rail say it’s just one new platform which will be for Saltburn trains to prevent the need to cross the main line.

Working together with Tees Valley Combined Authority, Darlington Borough Council and London North Eastern Railway, we will be providing two new platforms on the Eastern side of the station and a new, fully accessible and enclosed footbridge linking them to the current station building.

New cycle lanes will also be introduced, with bike shelters and a multi-storey car park which will adjoin the new station building. The car park will include secure parking for over 600 cars, including accessible parking bays and electric car charging points.
Yes, that's exactly the garbage I discovered... absolutely nothing from NR about the rail provision!

Established Member
Yes, that's exactly the garbage I discovered... absolutely nothing from NR about the rail provision!
The main intention is for the local Saltburn services to use the new platforms, to prevent crossing mainline at south of station.

Initial plans had a southbound through platform, and due to that northbound services would have used the current southbound platform with altered track to speed up entry/exit.

The only certain thing is the local trains will use the new platforms, everything else is an unknown.

AndrewE

Established Member
The main intention is for the local Saltburn services to use the new platforms, to prevent crossing mainline at south of station.

Initial plans had a southbound through platform, and due to that northbound services would have used the current southbound platform with altered track to speed up entry/exit.

The only certain thing is the local trains will use the new platforms, everything else is an unknown.
So maybe just 1 northbound through platform remaining... what about long-distance up trains calling?

zwk500

Veteran Member

My understanding is that a new platform (and entrance, with footbridge to existing station as shown in the renders) was to be built on the current Down up Goods Loop, with a bay at the south end for Local Saltburn trains as mentioned already. Has the through platform been scrapped? The NR press release suggests not, although they have been known to contain errors?

Last edited:

Established Member
My understanding is that a new platform (and entrance, with footbridge to existing station as shown in the renders) was to be built on the current Down Goods Loop, with a bay at the south end for Local Saltburn trains as mentioned already. Has the through platform been scrapped? The NR press release suggests not, although they have been known to contain errors?
No one knows, whenever Tees Mayor outs a press release out about work at the station it has a different number of platforms each time, and a different intention of how they will be used.

Is last reply was it’s a new local station for local trains and long distance trains will continue to use the existing part of station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There is a closed thread about this in the infrastructure forum, which has the background story. When the thread was closed in late 2021, the last post suggested it was going to start ‘next summer’, ie summer 2022, :

There are some links within the previous thread to the council’s planning application site, but they might not be current.

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member
You are right, yhat NR press release does still say
"The two new platforms will provide passengers with a better service and more travel options in the future. They will also improve reliability and reduce delays for both local and long-distance high-speed services on the East Coast Main Line, both for now and in the future"
so maybe there is another platform face, which could be a bay out of sight in the picture.
But what a shame that it's not 2 southbound through platforms which would have been so much more flexible. But then, this isn't London or even the SE we are considering...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Building work on the new site is cracking on ( i was there today) with a lot of land clearance ( East End WMC - RIP), new car park going up, access to existing station ( a new bridge) due to start soon, construction of new station area starting soon also.

I do fear the new area will be very isolated from the main station ! Here is what Network Rail say:

Network Rail is working with the Tees Valley Combined Authority, Darlington Borough Council and LNER to provide two new platforms on the Eastern side of the station and a new, fully accessible, and enclosed footbridge linking them to the current station building.

New cycle lanes will also be introduced, with bicycle shelters and a multi-storey car park which will attach onto the new station building. The car park will include secure parking for over 600 cars, including accessible parking bays and electric car charging points.
https://www.networkrailmediacentre....ngton-station-as-major-upgrade-work-continues

and this new civil engineer article shows the size of the site: https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...-150m-darlington-station-overhaul-11-08-2023/

Willmott Dixon is also delivering the integrated multi-storey car park. Other contractors on the scheme are Aecom and Bam Nuttall, while the station has been designed by Nappier Architects.

The project is on track to complete in 2025.

But what a shame that it's not 2 southbound through platforms which would have been so much more flexible. But then, this isn't London or even the SE we are considering...
it is the crossing moves for Bishop > Saltburn ( and vice versa) trains that need to be eliminated. There is enough capacity in the existing station for ECML trains.

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member
Building work on the new site is cracking on ( i was there today) with a lot of land clearance ( East End WMC - RIP), new car park going up, access to existing station ( a new bridge) due to start soon, construction of new station area starting soon also.

What is actually being built railway wise isn't very clear and i do fear it will be very isolated from the main station !

it is the crossing moves for Bishop > Saltburn ( and vice versa) trains that need to be eliminated. There is enough capacity in the existing station for ECML trains.
... except that the picture shows just a single (through down platform) in the old trainshed, as well as the same on the new up. Is that really enough on a busy main line with LNER, TPE and Northern services?
Doesn't seem future-proofed to me.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
... except that the picture shows just a single (through down platform) in the old trainshed, as well as the same on the new up. Is that really enough on a busy main line with LNER, TPE and Northern services?
Doesn't seem future-proofed to me.
it has been ok since about 1887 ;)

AndrewE

Established Member
it has been ok since about 1887 ;)
Not!
Come on, there are currently 2 through platforms in the trainshed (if I remember it right,) this reduces it to just 1, although admittedly only for northbound trains.
And I suspect that with our modern expectations of fast and slower services on main lines (and connections between them - I still yearn for some sort of an integrated timetable) this will prevent any significant improvements for decades, without another costly rebuilding (and remodelling, when the resignalling will probably cost as much as all the rest put together!)

I wouldn't fancy paying the bill for the additional costs of building a new island platform between the up through and the new up one when this phase is fully in use...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not!
Come on, there are currently 2 through platforms in the trainshed (if I remember it right,) this reduces it to just 1, although admittedly only for northbound trains.
And I suspect that with our modern expectations of fast and slower services on main lines (and connections between them - I still yearn for some sort of an integrated timetable) this will prevent any significant improvements for decades, without another costly rebuilding (and remodelling, when the resignalling will probably cost as much as all the rest put together!)

I wouldn't fancy paying the bill for the additional costs of building a new island platform between the up through and the new up one when this phase is fully in use...
The second photo of the set on the NR article shows the current up through platform with the new footbridge heading to the left, over towards the new up side platforms. It doesn’t show the current down through at all, which is hidden on the other side beyond the new stairs and escalators.

What is it that makes you think the current down through platform won’t be retained as well?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
it does nothing of the sort! both existing through platforms are retained. All new construction takes place outside the existing structure.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There will still be at least two through platforms. The question mark is simply over whether it's one in the train shed and one on the new station or if its still both in the train shed with the new station relegated to only hosting the hourly Northern stopping service in a new bay platform.

The original (or at least final original) plan was for the current northbound platform (P4 and P4A) to become effectively only for Bishop Auckland services to terminate in (they would no longer run beyond Darlington). The two bays would (P2 and P3) would still be available but unused usually. The current southbound platform (P1) would instead become the northbound platform. The new station outside the existing train shed would then have a southbound platform (presumably P5) and then at least one or two bay platforms (P6 and P7?) for the Saltburn services. Hence still only two through platforms but a not inconsiderably uplift in capacity by removing all the Northern movements from the ECML during the day.

What the plan has become is, as @800001 alluded to, now somewhat unclear. We might still be getting the original plan (but probably only one new bay with passive provision for the second), or we might be getting less (I'm gambling on less personally) with no new through platform meaning trains continue to use the original train shed for through services in both directions.

zwk500

Veteran Member
What is it that makes you think the current down through platform won’t be retained as well?
Post #4 could be taken to mean removal of platform 4, if you had a particular bee in your bonnet about infrastructure being deliberately deprioritised for the North.
Not!
My understanding of the plans is that the existing trainshed platforms are all retained as is, although it's been some years since I saw a scheme plan. You would therefore have 3 full-length platforms for trains to use.
And I suspect that with our modern expectations of fast and slower services on main lines (and connections between them
Trains can largely sort themselves out on the Racing Stretch, with all trains currently stopping Darlington the service isn't really frequent enough to need more than 1 platform per direction, so having the extra one is beneficial for amended working. Fast modern trains with good acceleration make light work of Darlington - Durham - Chester-le-Street - Newcastle so you don't need to loop trains for 6-7 minutes at Darlington.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My understanding of the plans is that the existing trainshed platforms are all retained as is, although it's been some years since I saw a scheme plan. You would therefore have 3 full-length platforms for trains to use.
Yes that was the original intention though P4 (the current northbound) would not typically be being used for through services but would still be there if required (though some fancy footwork would be required as the Bishop trains would be using it to start and terminate from/in).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
agreed - my understanding also - with a strong hint that the existing north bound through platform will be used in times of "perturbed" working

Yes that was the original intention though P4 (the current northbound) would not typically be being used for through services but would still be there if required (though some fancy footwork would be required as the Bishop trains would be using it to start and terminate from/in).
just bung the bishop train in P4a ;) Works now. ( i am still not convinced any of this work is actually needed! it was when there was going to be a massive ECML north service enhancement but that seems to have gone for a Burton! )

(I'm gambling on less personally)
High Viz Houchen and Tory boy Gibson wont allow that - there is an election coming up - They are pumping these works massively on social media.

zwk500

Veteran Member
As long as the bypass line is retained, Bishop Auckland trains down to 4A and let the mainline train nip around to 4B as happens every so often nowadays. Nice seamless same-platform connectivity as well to boot :lol:

Established Member
As long as the bypass line is retained, Bishop Auckland trains down to 4A and let the mainline train nip around to 4B as happens every so often nowadays. Nice seamless same-platform connectivity as well to boot :lol:
Which really slows the trains arriving via the loop around platform 4a

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
just bung the bishop train in P4a ;) Works now.

Absolutely, though it will be torturous as the bypass is so much slower than a straight in approach to P4! But yes perfectly doable to have through trains running via P4 whilst the Bishop trains do their thing on P4A. Just requires a bit of care when it's being done ad-hoc during disruption but I have faith in the controllers at York ROC and the signallers in Tyneside would cope!
( i am still not convinced any of this work is actually needed! it was when there was going to be a massive ECML north service enhancement but that seems to have gone for a Burton! )

Yeah I know what you mean. Without any substantial uplift in services on the ECML proper (can't afford HS2, need the money to fix pot holes in London after all) nor on the local services (there was some chuntering about increasing the number of services once they no longer have to cross the ECML both ways) it does all feel rather pointless. Especially if what we do end up with is a singular new bay platform for the hourly Darlington - Saltburn service!
High Viz Houchen and Tory boy Gibson wont allow that - there is an election coming up - They are pumping these works massively on social media.

Oh so you've noticed that too then? :lol:

Yes that's the badger though I'm fairly sure they ended up dropping that through P6 from the final plan with it just being a bay platform alongside P7 but hopefully helps those less familiar get a better grasp of what was planned. Right now it feels as if what we're actually going to get is basically just P7, i.e. a single new bay platform. But we wait in hope!

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes that's the badger though I'm fairly sure they ended up dropping that through P6 from the final plan with it just being a bay platform alongside P7 but hopefully helps those less familiar get a better grasp of what was planned. Right now it feels as if what we're actually going to get is basically just P7, i.e. a single new bay platform. But we wait in hope!
The NR piece linked in post #1 clearly refers to two new platforms. I read it as one up through and one Saltburn bay.

Established Member
The NR piece linked in post #1 clearly refers to two new platforms. I read it as one up through and one Saltburn bay.
Yes, but all the initial publicity and plans published and often spouted by Tees Mayor were for 2 bay platforms and a new through up platform, which as others have mentioned above plans have kept changing and actually no one knows specifically what it’s getting built.

I know for the £150million plus they are building a ghastly multi-storey car park, a new footbridge and some sort of new platforms.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yes, but all the initial publicity and plans published and often spouted by Tees Mayor were for 2 bay platforms and a new through up platform, which as others have mentioned above plans have kept changing and actually no one knows specifically what it’s getting built.

I know for the £150million plus they are building a ghastly multi-storey car park, a new footbridge and some sort of new platforms.
The confusion is understandable - Darlington BC's planning website says 1 platform and has a plan that confuses the issue, while Tees Valley Combined Authority, NR, BAM Nuttall, and Modern Railways say two platform faces.

Best diagram I've found was this Modern Railways one from last July:
img_71-10.jpg

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Oh so you've noticed that too then?
a little bit of algorithm gaming and Facebook thinks you still live there ;) ( and my mum sends me screenshots!)

I think the footprint will be as shown. What is tracked up is unknown,
they knocked down the east end club and removed the tunnel of death for that! I am glad i don't live there anymore. My house was a couple of streets over and i know the locals are really worried about traffic congestion

a PS: Wilmot Dixon have concerned the market in Darlo - they are lead contractor on the Hopetown project as well.

Established Member
a little bit of algorithm gaming and Facebook thinks you still live there ;) ( and my mum sends me screenshots!)

I think the footprint will be as shown. What is tracked up is unknown,

they knocked down the east end club and removed the tunnel of death for that! I am glad i don't live there anymore. My house was a couple of streets over and i know the locals are really worried about traffic congestion

a PS: Wilmot Dixon have concerned the market in Darlo - they are lead contractor on the Hopetown project as well.
Must be mates with Ben!

AndrewE

Established Member
it does nothing of the sort! both existing through platforms are retained. All new construction takes place outside the existing structure.
Thanks, I took it from the pic in the BBC article that the land NW of the exit from current platform 1 was to become a car park!
The confusion is understandable - Darlington BC's planning website says 1 platform and has a plan that confuses the issue, while Tees Valley Combined Authority, NR, BAM Nuttall, and Modern Railways say two platform faces.

img_71-10.jpg
That's very helpful, thanks, and quite reassuring. (but why is it so difficult to find it anywhere else?)
I still think it's a mistake to only build 1 up through platform and not to future-proof a junction on a main line, hopefully the passenger access to platform 6 will be built so it will be able to be converted to a through line. AS SWT Passenger points out, it was considered worthwhile once upon a time.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

img_71-10.jpg
Will Up trains use P5 under this scheme or will LNER traffic continue to dawdle into P1.