• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's Birmingham New Street like to spend the night at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailwayDan

I'm travelling from BHM to Edinburgh (megatrain special) on the 06.19 in a few weeks time, but will be starting my journey from London.

I can't get to BHM from Euston before 07.27 in the morning, so am wondering what New Street is like in the evening? Or if anyone could recommend a good hotel?

Another option I was looking at was to get the sleeper from Euston to Edinburgh the evening before, and just use the return portion before going back through to London.

The itinerary is 06.19 BHM - EDB arr 10.21
return EDB 18.52 - BHM 22.55

Many thanks, Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Personally i wouldnt wait in Birmingham New Street overnight, for a hotel on budget.try etap :)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Well, the booking office is open 24/7, so it is possible.

However, the only place to sleep is the metal benches in the lounge area. I would strongly suggest getting a room at the Etap, which isn't far to walk and prices are something in the region of £27, I think.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I agree, Etap is a good bet for a cheap and quite comfortable sleep. The rooms might be a bit like cells, but for one night it;s much better than being on a station!

RailwayDan

Thanks for your replies everyone :D I've managed to get a room at a friends house for the night near the station.

On another note, can anyone recommend some good Scottish routes I could traverse in a day from Edinburgh? I've only been once up to Glasgow before. Thanks! :D

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If you're talking scenery, try a trip to Aberdeen and back - make sure you sit on the right hand side northbound.

TUC

Established Member
I spent the night on the benches at New Street as a student-the second most miserable, scary night of my life-second only to the night I spent at Manchester Victoria.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Interesting, in what way is it scary? I only ask as i havent done it yet. i am a bit harcore in my bashing era at the moment and have done various overnighters outside [stn]BRI[/stn] station and in london like last night i do various overnight servoces, most will see me score various units that i need plus it contributes to my all overall mileage too. Shame [stn]BHM[/stn] doesnt have such really. the most boring one had to be at brum international as thete was nothing to do and the overnight freights passing were not visible just to make it annoying!

Last edited by a moderator:

sonic2009

Established Member
heart-of-wessex:772883 said:
Interesting, in what way is it scary? I only ask as i havent done it yet. i am a bit harcore in my bashing era at the moment and have done various overnighters outside BTM station and in london like last night i do various overnight servoces, most will see me score various units that i need plus it contributes to my all overall mileage too. Shame BNS doesnt have such really. the most boring one had to be at brum international as thete was nothing to do and the overnight freights passing were not visible just to make it annoying!

BNS i.think it would be bad to stay at BARNES :) i think you.mean BHM

W-on-Sea

Established Member
A second vote for Edinburgh-Aberdeen (or perhaps, better, Edinburgh-Dundee via the coastal route, and then Dundee-Perth, and then back to Edinburgh by any route from Perth). Some of the Fife coast is rather stunning, and the route along the Tay estuary is too. North of Dundee is not unpleasant but IMHO mostly not a patch on these more southerly routes.

scotsman

Established Member
A second vote for Edinburgh-Aberdeen (or perhaps, better, Edinburgh-Dundee via the coastal route, and then Dundee-Perth, and then back to Edinburgh by any route from Perth). Some of the Fife coast is rather stunning, and the route along the Tay estuary is too. North of Dundee is not unpleasant but IMHO mostly not a patch on these more southerly routes.

By my estimation, there are 8 miles of coastal scenery between Edinburgh and Dundee (Aberdour - Kinghorn and the two bridges)

Dundee - Aberdeen is much better

Blindtraveler

Established Member
if wanting some new traction, then
northberwick/dunbar on the 380s aint a bad bet. also, if ya get a semi fast, i.e not calling armerdail etc in both d4rections then there may be time ennugh to bash the A to B also.

On the BHM topic, do not whatever you do or however cheep book travelodge central on broad street, the station im sure will be prefferable

Status
Not open for further replies.