• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's happened to the 17.55 Basingstoke-Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's in the printed GBTT (yes, I know that's not infallible), and the pdf on the GWR website, and the timetable poster at the south entrance of Reading West station (I didn't check the main entrance), but when I tried to board it there today it wasn't on the dot-matrix boards, and it isn't in RTT or (looking at tomorrow) NRE. According to NRE, all other Basingstoke-Reading trains between 17.00 and 19.00 are as in the pdf, leading to Mortimer having gaps between successive trains of 20, 66 and 13 minutes. I presume there's a missing working in the opposite direction as well. Presumably there's a reason for this but, quite apart from the general undesirability of removing trains that are in the published timetable except at planned timetable changes, if one had to go the 18.25, which has an alternative less than 15 minutes later, would seem less of a loss. Does anyone know what the reason is?

Since writing the previous paragraph, I've noticed that the train does appear in NRE for next Tuesday. Have they just withdrawn it for this week so they can pretend it isn't cancelled?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewlew

There are some odd timings in the evening in both directions, think it has something to do with it going back down to an even 30 minutes frequency and having a boost to every 20 for the peak.

I've also noticed the last extra in the morning doesn't stop at Reading West and goes over towards P15, presumably to go into the depot, not sure why it doesn't stop at West however as it got held outside Reading for a few minutes last time I used it.

LordCreed

17:55 this week is a victim of the Cheltenham races specials this week. It starts running again on Monday.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
17:55 this week is a victim of the Cheltenham races specials this week. It starts running again on Monday.

Presumably the Turbo for the Basingstoke service is pinched to run to Bedwyn allowing IETs to go to Cheltenham?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

That's fair enough as there always have been alterations to various GWR services during festival week but the question I would have is is it publicised anywhere say on a poster at the relevant stations? I know the service won't appear on journey planners but if that's your regular service you wouldn't ordinarily check it on a journey planner.

Presumably the Turbo for the Basingstoke service is pinched to run to Bedwyn allowing IETs to go to Cheltenham?

Thankyou all (I didn't see it on RTT in the list of trains passing Reading West).

That's fair enough as there always have been alterations to various GWR services during festival week but the question I would have is is it publicised anywhere say on a poster at the relevant stations? I know the service won't appear on journey planners but if that's your regular service you wouldn't ordinarily check it on a journey planner.

That's rather what I feel (I wonder why that train was cancelled rather than the one 30 minutes later which would leave less of a gap, but I presume the decision was made on the basis of the whole day's diagram, so hopefully it was the least disruptive option overall).

If there was any relevant information at stations I certainly didn't notice it; it's vaguely in my mind that there was a poster at Reading about the Cheltenham Festival, but as none of the trains I was using went anywhere near Cheltenham it didn't occur to me to read it. There's nothing obvious on the GWR website. It seems to me that there ought to be something fairly obvious at affected stations and on the website, and also that temporarily withdrawn trains should appear on departure screens, labelled as 'planned cancellation' or something like that, rather than leaving passengers to wonder if they imagined what the timetable said. (I wasn't the only person on the platform at the time the train should have called).

Freightmaster

Established Member
Thankyou all (I didn't see it on RTT in the list of trains passing Reading West).
By default, RTT doesn't show cancelled trains - you have to manually force it to by pressing the [CAN] button.

1. Default search for today:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...1/1700-1910?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=GW
(cancelled trains not shown)

2. same search, but with the CAN option selected in addition to WTT/VAR/STP:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se.../1700-1910?stp=WVSC&show=all&order=wtt&toc=GW

3. same search, but with only the CAN option selected:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...-11/1700-1910?stp=C&show=all&order=wtt&toc=GW

hope this helps!

MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.