• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's the most comfortable train for long journeys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
In the UK probably a 175, good aircon and very spacious as modern rolling stock goes.

Heading abroad, the I10 coaches in Belgium (as mentioned by Techniquest on the Liers - Liège - Luxembourg service) and unrefurbished first class compartments on DB ICs probably win for me (although the refurbishment is still much nicer than anything I've seen in the UK!).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
In the UK probably a 175, good aircon and very spacious as modern rolling stock goes.
The 175s are rather good in a number of respects, with just a few problems:
  1. More expensive than 158s
  2. No UEGs, which makes them less flexible and more bland-looking in my opinion
  3. Aircon can still be on full blast on cold winter evenings
  4. Seats a bit too hard (but otherwise exellent in terms of comfort)
Fix those problems (or even just 2 and 3) and it would be great to see more of them, and an EMU version for the TPE electrification.

Parallel

Established Member
I really enjoy travelling on both Arriva's 175s and their refurbished 158s - Both very good trains with good seating and a high quality finish. The only problem is the 175s could do with having more coaches!

180zephyr

I really enjoy travelling on both Arriva's 175s and their refurbished 158s - Both very good trains with good seating and a high quality finish. The only problem is the 175s could do with having more coaches!

that's where the class 180 comes in!

satisnek

The only thing I can see wrong with 175s/180s is that I am led to believe that they have 'modular' (or whatever the term is) interiors, rather like the plastic inserts in model coaches. The seats and tables are not attached to the bodysides, and therefore everything is rather wobbly.

Oh, and the lighting - I used the overnight Holyhead service connecting with the Dublin ferry a few times when the 175s were new and it wasn't a pleasant experience! But the light levels may have mellowed a bit with age, though....

Otherwise they're nice units, although I can't help thinking of them as a 'poor man's Mk3'! :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Why has no-one said a 142 yet?
Fgw first is really good as is coach a seat 73

I had the misfortune to get onto a 142 which the original bus style seating yesterday (142038) on a Hope Valley stopper...

...I feel sorry for passengers who have to put up with those low seats on a daily basis...

...Although still better than the 376s

bairy

Standard: Chiltern Silver Sets, by far. You also get free internet, pretty much a guaranteed table (though you might have to share) and a plug if you snag the window seat. In standard! I really really wish they had more of those sets, and had more franchises to stick them on.
The 168s are also quite nice.

FGW 1st mk3s are very nice too. Those huge windows!

What do people think of the LM 350's for long distance travel?

As a train it rocks around a bit but it's comfortable enough. The only real problem is you're on it for such a very long time, compared to Virgin.

Status
Not open for further replies.