• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

what's the point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

N Levers

...of the emirates cable car?

Also while we're here what's the point of the croxley extension?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
...of the emirates cable car?
Two things. An additional river crossing, which provides capacity equivalent to 30 buses an hour. And something that will become a visitor attraction in its own right.

Again two things. To replace a rail line which was severed by a road project. And to give the Metropolitan line a more central Watford terminus - i.e. closer to where people actually want to go.

causton

Established Member

Have you ever been to Watford on the Met? I know I haven't specifically because it takes 20 minutes to get to the high street from the Met station - rather than 2 minutes from Watford High Street station! :P

...a lot more useful than the cable car I would say!

WestCoast

Established Member
New York has the Roosevelt Island Tramway (Cable Car in US English) which was initially designed as an essential transport link, but then became somewhat of a major tourist attraction after it was replaced by a Subway connection.

Emirates are sponsoring this project to the tune of £36 million as well, and I very much doubt they would have sponsored a foot tunnel! I thought it sounded a bit gimmicky at first, but how was TfL going to get £36m of private money for a tunnel to provide another type of crossing from?

burneside

When Boris Johnson announced his vanity project he claimed it would be entirely financed by private money, that of course has failed to happen and TfL are now having to pour in millions of pounds. That is money which could have been spent on real public transport, instead of what will likely be just a tourist attraction.

Nym

Established Member
Quite, it does look nice out on the perninuslar though. Although tbh, I think a bridge would have been more useful, and I'd bet for the same money you could put in an additional bridge to take some pressure of Blackwall Tunnel and provide a route for foot traffic to avoid the 108 that makes some scary turns northbound.

Eagle

Established Member
Quite, it does look nice out on the perninuslar though. Although tbh, I think a bridge would have been more useful, and I'd bet for the same money you could put in an additional bridge to take some pressure of Blackwall Tunnel and provide a route for foot traffic to avoid the 108 that makes some scary turns northbound.

There are plans to provide a new road tunnel just east of the Blackwall Tunnel (pretty much directly under the cablecar), and to replace the Woolwich car ferry with another one further east at Gallions with all-new approach roads.

TfL consultation (ongoing)

Status
Not open for further replies.