• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your favourite diesel shunter?

What is your favourite diesel shunter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GNERman

Established Member
This is a poll on what your favourite diesel shunter is. You can pick from tops, industrial or pre-tops. I'm first on and i'm going for the class 14. The Teddy Bear and the E&BAR is great!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GWRtom

This is a poll on what your favourite diesel shunter is. You can pick from tops, industrial or pre-tops. I'm first on and i'm going for the class 14. The Teddy Bear and the E&BAR is great!
i dont think a class 14 is a sunter

The_Rail_WAy

For me - its got to be a class 08. An iconic portrait of British shunting which still survives today in working order and can also be found on many preserved lines accross the country.

FusionRail

Tight between an 03 and a 14, but remeber a 14 isnt a 'proper' shunter, it has a max speed of 40mph and can pull mainline trains, and passengers aswell. (Hence why it has a passenger/freight switch in the cab)

I think you chould have had 03/04 as the same as they are practically the same thing.

Phoenix

Established Member
Class 14's are mainline mixed traffic IIRC but soon after their introduction they simply became shunter just with the advantage of being able to move from yard to yard.
You have to admit though shunter or not the fact they were sourced to help with HS1 is quite an achievement to a so-called failed class.

FusionRail

Class 14's are mainline mixed traffic IIRC but soon after their introduction they simply became shunter just with the advantage of being able to move from yard to yard.
You have to admit though shunter or not the fact they were sourced to help with HS1 is quite an achievement to a so-called failed class.

Oh yeh, definatly, and it was one of the NVR ones that was helping out <D

Phoenix

Established Member
They are quite ugly but cool.
If both of the noses were of equal length they would be perfect for me.

delt1c

Established Member
The 14's wern't a failed class, the problem was the work that they were built for was disappearing even as they were being constructed. That was the reason for their early demise.

GNERman

Established Member
1-An 03 is different from an 04 as the 04's had a straight bonnet unlike the 03's which bulged higher towards the rear. They also had the cab which met at the sides at an angle rather than a curve of the 03.

westcoaster

Established Member
class 08 for me an iconic part of british railways,

finally saw the 09 shunter on the move in brighton lovers walk this evening, clagging about, first time ive seen it moved.

Phoenix

Established Member
The 14's wern't a failed class, the problem was the work that they were built for was disappearing even as they were being constructed. That was the reason for their early demise.

I didn't state why they were failed or what failed them.
Just the seemed to not get the workload they were produced for and created negative money.

The_Rail_WAy

I voted the class 08 but I am fond of the class 14 as well, they are unique and almost look 'foreign' in appearance.

Also would I be right in assuming that a class 14 was leased from preservation and is currently being used in the construction of the high speed rail link - thus becoming the only class 14 being used for mainline duties.

delt1c

Established Member
I didn't state why they were failed or what failed them.
Just the seemed to not get the workload they were produced for and created negative money.

Sorry but you did say they were a failed class, which they werent, there working life in private industry after BR confirmed that. There is a big difference between a failed class such as the 17's and 23's and a class like the 14's whose work vanished.
The 20's which are recognised as one of the most sucsessful classes suffered a similair fate that the work for which they were intended vanished, however as they had a higher top speed and were multiple working fitteed were found new roles , especialy on mery go round workings.
Trems such as a failed imply that the class was a faluire .

Think about the Deltics , highly sucsessfull on the role for which they were intended, but upon introduction of the HST's it was dificult to find work for them, other regions declined them . but no one would call them a failed class.
Likewise the

Freightliner

04 for me because it is one of the regular workers on my local line, embsay bolton abbey steam preservation railway. I also favour the 14 due to its look and shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.