• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
A Tube wagon! I'm after one of those. Can I ask where you got it from, and was it a good price?
It was from AC Models Eastleigh via Amazon and it wasn’t a good price, but I had a free £120 amazon voucher to use, so I was less concerned with value for money than I normally would be.

Thanks @Cowley :)

xotGD

Established Member
t was from AC Models Eastleigh via Amazon and it wasn’t a good price, but I had a free £120 amazon voucher to use, so I was less concerned with value for money than I normally would be.
Thanks. Just had a look - more than I want to pay!

Evarg

New to my collection from Rails Of Sheffield, a Fleischmann N Siemens Vectron in SBB Cargo International livery. These are typically seen on Germany-Switzerland-Italy cross-border intermodal services, as the livery suggests.

I was really after the DCC-sound version, but couldn't turn down this one in DC with the 15% eBay New Year discount. Apparently 2nd hand, but it looks in superb condition. Looking forward to getting it chipped and down onto the track!

20230111_152335.jpg20230111_153446.jpg

Iskra

Established Member
Last edited:

Established Member

xotGD

Established Member
Adding to my KWVR themed wagon collection, I have managed to get hold of a Dogfish:

Dogfish.jpg

There are two examples on the railway, so maybe I need to try and find another?

It joins my Sealion and Shark to make a short P-way train. I'm still missing a Mermaid.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The latest addition to my fleet was a bit of an impulse buy which I saw in the TMC January sale... a OO9 Baldwin Class 10-12-D in a plain black livery of the Snailbeach District Railway. I'm not going to be squeezing a narrow gauge line into my main layout of course. Instead I'll be collaborating with a friend who is into modelling military stuff to make a trench railway diorama. Not sure if locos of this design ever saw military use in the Great War, but the weathered plain black livery looks the part at least.
20230123_130939.jpg

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Adding to my KWVR themed wagon collection, I have managed to get hold of a Dogfish:

View attachment 127469

It joins my Sealion and Shark to make a short P-way train. I'm still missing a Mermaid.
I've always had a hankering for a p-way train...

Curse you for giving me ideas!!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 127469

Lovely wagon. Was it expensive?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
At Doncaster yesterday I was a little bit naughty... and bought myself a sound-fitted Bachmann 158! Considering there were some stalls asking a similar or greater price for a non-sound example, I think I did okay out of it.
20230211_232012.jpg
At the other end of the scale I also picked up a couple of vehicles for the wartime diorama, one of which is in kit form. It's a fairly simple kit by all accounts, so should be a good introduction to kit building.
20230212_163928.jpg

Anyone else manage to pick anything up there this weekend?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You can’t really go wrong with a Dundas kit. They’re superb :)
So I've heard. Last Christmas I bought my brother a couple of their Ffestiniog slate wagon kits and he was really impressed with them, so I decided to give them a go. The painting will be the hard part of course!

Very nice- I always liked that Regional Railways Express Super Sprinter livery :)
It was a bit of an impulse buy because of the price, it'll be slightly out of place for my layout as it was unusual for Express-liveried units to crop up on locals in their early days. That particular unit was also based on the former Western region rather than the North East, but I'm not overly bothered about that level of accuracy- the destination boards display Liverpool Lime Street, which is easier to justify than a 121 displaying Par and Newquay at least!

Last edited:

Sprinter107

So I've heard. Last Christmas I bought my brother a couple of their Ffestiniog slate wagon kits and he was really impressed with them, so I decided to give them a go. The painting will be the hard part of course!

It was a bit of an impulse buy because of the price, it'll be slightly out of place for my layout as it was unusual for Express-liveried units to crop up on locals in their early days. That particular unit was also based on the former Western region rather than the North East, but I'm not overly bothered about that level of accuracy- the destination boards display Liverpool Lime Street, which is easier to justify than a 121 displaying Par and Newquay at least!
158849 was based at Norwich and at Tyseley, so wouldve worked into Liverpool Lime Street. I suppose you could easily have it on loan to the North East. I know very early on we had two Heaton 3 car sets working around the Midlands for a few weeks.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
158849 was based at Norwich and at Tyseley, so wouldve worked into Liverpool Lime Street. I suppose you could easily have it on loan to the North East. I know very early on we had two Heaton 3 car sets working around the Midlands for a few weeks.
Shows how good my research was then, I had it down as a Marches unit!

Before 1994 it seems that 158 allocations were somewhat fluid, as some of the Cross-country sets quite often ended up on trans-Pennine workings. That's one reason I'm not getting overly hung up on technicalities- I'm modelling a fictional location so I can handle fictional allocations, so long as they're not too outlandish.

Sprinter107

Shows how good my research was then, I had it down as a Marches unit!

Before 1994 it seems that 158 allocations were somewhat fluid, as some of the Cross-country sets quite often ended up on trans-Pennine workings. That's one reason I'm not getting overly hung up on technicalities- I'm modelling a fictional location so I can handle fictional allocations, so long as they're not too outlandish.
Exactly. They did borrow other depots units. I've driven 158s on loan from other depots. The beauty of the 158s was that the destination blinds at that time were nationwide, regardless of what depot it was at, so if a Tyseley set had to work in Scotland, (as 797 did for a summer), the relevant destinations were already in there.

My latest acquisitions up to now are a pair of tender driven 1990s A3s ( 60071 & 60080 ), a Bachmann V1 2 - 6 - 2 tank locomotive which was salvaged for parts as it had a dead short that I couldn't fix aswell as 3 split plastic axles, the 4th loco is either a J52 or J83 locomotive which has a type 7 motor like the motors used in the class 58 when Hornby introduced them back in the 1980s or 1990s ( not sure which decade ).

The traction tyres on the J52 or J83 were damaged so them wheels were removed and replaced with 2 wheels from a tender drive 9F loco chassis and the springs removed from the rear axle.

The springs have been replaced by 2 pieces of brass which were enough to make the loco non sprung but despite these modifications it runs much better and it can haul 7 LNER teak coaches on its own, not bad for a 6 wheel rank locwith no traction tyres.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My latest acquisitions up to now are a pair of tender driven 1990s A3s ( 60071 & 60080 ), a Bachmann V1 2 - 6 - 2 tank locomotive which was salvaged for parts as it had a dead short that I couldn't fix aswell as 3 split plastic axles, the 4th loco is either a J52 or J83 locomotive which has a type 7 motor like the motors used in the class 58 when Hornby introduced them back in the 1980s or 1990s ( not sure which decade ).

The traction tyres on the J52 or J83 were damaged so them wheels were removed and replaced with 2 wheels from a tender drive 9F loco chassis and the springs removed from the rear axle.

The springs have been replaced by 2 pieces of brass which were enough to make the loco non sprung but despite these modifications it runs much better and it can haul 7 LNER teak coaches on its own, not bad for a 6 wheel rank locwith no traction tyres.

It’s kind of enjoyable working on models of that era. Most of the stuff I own now I just wouldn’t dare touch other than a bit of extra detailing and basic maintenance. 1980s/90s model trains are really straightforward to work on, are enjoyable to improve and are fairly cheap to pick up.

A bit like cars I suppose. I could strip down and rebuild the engine in my old 1960s VW Camper. I wouldn’t touch my current van other than changing the wipers and checking the oil though! :lol:

Peter C

Established Member
At Doncaster yesterday I was a little bit naughty... and bought myself a sound-fitted Bachmann 158! Considering there were some stalls asking a similar or greater price for a non-sound example, I think I did okay out of it.
View attachment 128892
At the other end of the scale I also picked up a couple of vehicles for the wartime diorama, one of which is in kit form. It's a fairly simple kit by all accounts, so should be a good introduction to kit building.
View attachment 128893

Anyone else manage to pick anything up there this weekend?
Loving that 158. And quite the bargain to get it with sound at that price. And those wagons are also lovely - I'd not really thought much about wartime railways (and especially models of them) but I'd be very interested to see where this project goes. :)

Working on those sounds like great fun - like @Cowley says, it's much easier to fix some of these older models than it is the newer stuff. Most of my collection is (though it's now in boxes) older stuff because they're cheap, decent quality, and easy to fix if they fall apart! And that tank engine being able to pull seven teak coaches is brilliant. Quite a strong little thing!

A bit like cars I suppose. I could strip down and rebuild the engine in my old 1960s VW Camper. I wouldn’t touch my current van other than changing the wipers and checking the oil though! :lol:
What happened to the chauffeur-driven Rolls? ;)

-Peter

RichJF

Something for my tiny US switching layout; Proto 2000 SW8 from Clark Railworks.

As that railroad is freelanced it's ex-BN (logos patched).
IMG20230217102848.jpg.9abd61e075daa0caa6e4ce5498481442.jpg
IMG20230217102901.jpg.7d8ec1f98c9cd6d92d200d9e6377ddf6.jpg

I have just this second googled my 6 wheel tank locomotive which I was unsure of what class it is.

The running number is 3111 and it is a J52 0 - 6 - 0.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Loving that 158. And quite the bargain to get it with sound at that price. And those wagons are also lovely - I'd not really thought much about wartime railways (and especially models of them) but I'd be very interested to see where this project goes. :)
At that price I couldn't say no really! If anyone was wondering what the catch was, none of the paperwork (instructions, sound function list etc.) was in the box. Luckily Bachmann have those documents free to download from their website so I haven't had to spend hours trying to decipher them.

The trench diorama is a bit of a side-project, with a friend who is into military history and models but doesn't have much of an interest in railways. I'm the exact opposite so between us we should be able to come up with something half-decent... It all came about because I ended up with a spare 2'x4' baseboard!

Something for my tiny US switching layout; Proto 2000 SW8 from Clark Railworks.

As that railroad is freelanced it's ex-BN (logos patched).
View attachment 129184
View attachment 129185
I used to think that US Railroads were pretty boring, as to the untrained eye all the locomotives looked the same as each other apart from the paint... but that loco is a bit different to the usual US-outline designs.

Then again most of my models are DMUs so I've no room to talk about things being samey or repetitive!

Last edited:

Well i've took the plunge sourced myself a Kato azuma set a outer loop of kato track and a second hand 47the question is have i gone in the right direction with the kato track over peco ?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well i've took the plunge sourced myself a Kato azuma set a outer loop of kato track and a second hand 47the question is have i gone in the right direction with the kato track over peco ?

I think as a starter set and for dipping your toe in the water the Kato stuff is extremely user friendly. It’s not as realistic as what you can achieve with other systems but it won’t cause you any frustrating problems I’d say.

I think as a starter set and for dipping your toe in the water the Kato stuff is extremely user friendly. It’s not as realistic as what you can achieve with other systems but it won’t cause you any frustrating problems I’d say.
Any idea where i can get a kato track plans book what isnt in japanese !!!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Any idea where i can get a kato track plans book what isnt in japanese !!!

Blimey I’ve got no idea. I use Peco and they’re from Devon so understand that. :lol:

Does anyone else on here know?

Another LNER B12 4-6-0 with the running number 8544 which I think was originally part of a train set where it included 2 clerestory coaches aswell as the usual oval of track and the transformer/controller.

I only bought the loco which I acquired for the very reasonable amount of £35, the only drawback was that the tender had the old plastic triang hornby wheels on it so I swapped the chassis for another B12 tender chassis on which I had changed the old plastic wheels for metal tyred tender wheels from the tenders of super detailed locos which over the course of time have donated parts to projects or have failed completely and now stand on 1 of my bookcase shelves either awaiting parts or selection for my next project.

Anyway back to the B12, the replacement tender chassis was duly fitted with my own self made pickups, wired through to the type 7 motor and after the loco wheels had been cleaned ( they were absolutely filthy ) 8544 took to the rails for a few test runs and is now in service alongside my 2 other B12s and the rest of my loco fleet.

Adding 8544 to my fleet now gives me 3 B12s, the others being 8509 ( as bought off ebay ) & the other loco which I have renumbered 8524 ( originally another 8509 ) as it would not have made sense to have 2 locos both numbered 8509.

The interesting thing I have done here is that 8524 now has a newer B12 chassis exactly the same as what is on 8544 with the type 7 motor, the difference is in the loco which kept its original 8509 running number.

My brother recently had to move house and gave me quite a bit of his railway stuff, in it was a silver seal motor which was used in 1 of the 1st models of the class 47 aswell as a black 5 and a britannia locomotive when hornby produced them.

The motor was missing a brush cap and as I had a spare cd motor at the time, I explored the possibility of converting it to the cd motor.

Upon realising that I had some 80 thou plasticard which I could build a strong holder out of to keep the cd motor in place I proceeded to convert the motor and within an hour or less, 8509 was blasting at warp 9.9 along the track.

Just the slightest application of power now and 8509 moves instead of almost 1/2 power before she would move, great little investments them cd motors.

4COR

I picked up a couple of real eBay bargains recently (both fairly speculative bids that worked out). First up a Hornby BR (SR) 2-BIL (with DCC fitted) :

PXL_20230228_230441304.jpg

Doesn't look to have ever been out of the box. Similar condition for the next item which is a BR (SR) Maunsell 6 compartment brake third:

PXL_20230228_230601518.jpg

Will have to try and look out for suitable companions to make a decent rake out of this one (though I think the numbered coach served on the Swanage branch in a 2 coach formation...)