• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When 387s were introduced on the Thameslink route did they ever run at 110mph?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
When 387s were introduced on the Thameslink route did they ever run at 110mph?
Where would they have been able to run in service at 110mph if, as noted above, the OHLE south of Bedford is only good for 100mph?

OTRail

Where would they have been able to run in service at 110mph if, as noted above, the OHLE south of Bedford is only good for 100mph?
I was just making sure given they were designed for 110mph running and the line speed limit on the fast lines is 125mph...

bengley

Established Member
I think the OP was indirectly pointing out that electric trains are currently limited to 100mph(?) south of Bedford on the original BR electrification.
When I signed the midland main line I could never find anything in writing in the sectional appendix which suggests this is the case. I would like to know whether it genuinely is the case and if so where it's published.

westcoaster

Established Member
When I signed the midland main line I could never find anything in writing in the sectional appendix which suggests this is the case. I would like to know whether it genuinely is the case and if so where it's published.
All previous emu's 317/319/377 were 100mph max.
The 387's were 110mph max but, were limited to 100mph on the MML.

I was always under the impression the wires were put up 100mph max. With tensioning and headspans.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I was always under the impression the wires were put up 100mph max. With tensioning and headspans.

I think this has been mentioned on the 'MML Electrification' thread - the intention is to upgrade to 110, but in the meantime, the 'sparks effect' is slower Corby trains - possibly knocking the Meridians on the 125 sections. I'm sure it's all been taken into account...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I think this has been mentioned on the 'MML Electrification' thread - the intention is to upgrade to 110, but in the meantime, the 'sparks effect' is slower Corby trains - possibly knocking the Meridians on the 125 sections. I'm sure it's all been taken into account...

The intention is to upgrade the wires to 125. But not for a few years. Meanwhile the effect on the timetable is relatively minor.

Railperf

Established Member
Surely they will switch the 360's over to the SL north of Bedford?

Railperf

Established Member
Yes. on reflection I can see that - the infrastructure limitation only means its 100/125 vs 110/125, rather than all 125.
And was;t it said that if the bedpan OLE is not upgraded before the bi-modes enter service - they will run on diesel between London and Bedford in order to run at 125mph?

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Surely they will switch the 360's over to the SL north of Bedford?

Nope! On another thread, the down electric Corby trains planned to run fast line to Wellingborough, the ups cross out fast line at Wellingborough South.

I know! I thought it made re-instating the 4th (slow) line Wellingborough - Sharnbrook & electrifying the slow ilne Bedford-Wellingborough via Souldrop a bit extravagant, but other posters strongly disagreed.

And, as you say, it seems a bi-mode will only run on electric from Bedford to Glendon, later Market Harborough.

I think I'm losing touch with reality. Or, just possibly, it's everyone else...

Edited to expand abbreviations

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
Nope! On another thread, the down electric Corby trains planned to run F/L to Wo', the ups cross out F/L at Wo' South.

I know! I thought it made re-instating the 4th (slow) line Wo - Sharnbrook & electrifying the S/L Bdfd-Wo via Souldrop a bit extravagant, but other posters strongly disagreed.

And, as you say, it seems a bi-mode will only run on electric from Bedford to Glendon, later Harboro.

I think I'm losing touch with reality. Or, just possibly, it's everyone else...
no problem, i've just been on a Class 802 running the majority of Edinburgh to Newcastle and V.V on diesel; despite the line being electrified for years and having had ample time to upgrade the supply for all these extra new electric trains! It is absolute madness!

Martin222002

no problem, i've just been on a Class 802 running the majority of Edinburgh to Newcastle and V.V on diesel; despite the line being electrified for years and having had ample time to upgrade the supply for all these extra new electric trains! It is absolute madness!
Network Rail still need to do power upgrades to provide enough juice for the much higher demand that's needed now than before. So until that works done TPEs 802s will have to run on diesel.

On Moderation
GTR don't have a safety case for running above 100mph. Hence why the 387s when both with Thameslink and now with Great Northern don't run any higher than 100mph.
Which rather blows a hole in the case for using 387s out of Kings Cross: part of the reason was to allow 110mph running on the fast lines which would help when mixed with 125mph LNER stock. Might just as well have stuck with the more comfortable 365s.

Helvellyn

Established Member
Nope! On another thread, the down electric Corby trains planned to run F/L to Wo', the ups cross out F/L at Wo' South.

I know! I thought it made re-instating the 4th (slow) line Wo - Sharnbrook & electrifying the S/L Bdfd-Wo via Souldrop a bit extravagant, but other posters strongly disagreed.
I think the Slow lines remain limited to 80mph between Bedford and Kettering? Which in itself seems madness. If they had been upgraded to 100mph we might have seen someone propose extending some Thameslink services to Kettering, or reopen Irchester Station to act as a park and ride for Rushden. But then we're getting into the realms of coordinated planning.

But back to the Class 360s. I am sure there was something from EMR suggesting 2+1 in First Class, 2+2 in Standard and luggage stacks (the latter for the airport traffic). Which suggests a Class 350/4 style layout with just a wait and see as regards the actual seats utilised. It wouldn't surprise me to see the same seats as eventually used on the bi-modes for a consistent experience (and to also encourage Kettering users to want to use the Class 360s).

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Why was the plan to do such an upgrade so many years after the electric and bimode trains enter service?

It was previously included within the package of works and outputs which would see electric traction to Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield. It's, as has been indicated, not particularly urgent as it only provides a relatively small performance benefit.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If they had been upgraded to 100mph we might have seen someone propose extending some Thameslink services to Kettering, or reopen Irchester Station to act as a park and ride for Rushden.
With what stock? Taking 12-car 700s north of Bedford all day is overkill and there aren't enough of them - indeed it would diminish the case for the planned EMR 360 service. If electrification and the track work had been done in time I still doubt we would have seen extra stock ordered for Thameslink services to Kettering.

Railperf

Established Member
GTR don't have a safety case for running above 100mph. Hence why the 387s when both with Thameslink and now with Great Northern don't run any higher than 100mph.
I thought the reason was technical..that reconfiguring the 387 pantograph configuration for 110mph would make it incompatible with the Hitchin - Cambridge - Ely - Kings Lynn OLE.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
It was previously included within the package of works and outputs which would see electric traction to Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield. It's, as has been indicated, not particularly urgent as it only provides a relatively small performance benefit.

Sorry, I'm not clear what this refers to; is this between 100 mph electric and > 125 m.ph electric or > 125 mph diesel under wires and > 125 mph electric?

Railperf

Established Member
Sorry, I'm not clear what this refers to; is this between 100 mph electric and > 125 m.ph electric or > 125 mph diesel under wires and > 125 mph electric?
Sounds like the work to upgrade the OLE south of Beford for 125mph is seen as non urgent as any bi mode trains can use diesel power to do 125mph over the 50 mikes or so. A way of deferring the cost to another day

MML

Sounds like the work to upgrade the OLE south of Beford for 125mph is seen as non urgent as any bi mode trains can use diesel power to do 125mph over the 50 mikes or so. A way of deferring the cost to another day
Although it does call into question the validity of environmental claims about reducing emissions. The Transpennine Class 802 are already travelling on diesel beneath the wires to Newcastle due to inadequate power supply. If the EMR services do it too, we are being conned.

Last edited by a moderator:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I hope they will be able to start out from St Pancras on electric and use it for the inner London section which includes most of the acceleration. And if possible also put the pan up somewhere on the approaches so they arrive into St Pancras on electric too.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I hope they will be able to start out from St Pancras on electric and use it for the inner London section which includes most of the acceleration. And if possible also put the pan up somewhere on the approaches so they arrive into St Pancras on electric too.
They will need to do this as otherwise members of parliament will notice the diesel and start asking awkward questions....;)

Mikey C

Established Member
In which case why bother with buying bimodes for the express services when DMUs could operate at 125mph under the wires all the way?

The upgrade work has to be done, so what's the justification for not doing it now, so that the new bimode trains can use it from day one, not in 2 year's time. There will be a political stink when the media gets hold of this after the new bimodes enter service, and either have to run at 100mph or run in diesel mode, and once the rail industry will look like amateurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.