• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When did Cross Country services last divert via Yeovil and Honiton?

Martin_1981

I am on the Railways of Devon and Cornwall Facebook page, the other day there was a photo of a diverted Class 47 hauled XC Derby to Plymouth service passing through Feniton in January 2002.

I know XC haven't diverted that way for at least 15 years since the Waterloo to Exeter trains went to hourly circa 2009/2010 ish, however my mind tells me the last time Cross Country trains were diverted that way when Exeter-Taunton is closed was around 2005, although I can't find anything online to suggest that Voyagers were ever diverted that way. Having lived in the Exeter area since 2006, I have only ever known GWR to divert this way.

Does anyone have any information/ confirmation if Virgin XC diverted trains via the 'Mule' post 'Operation Princess'? Would be interesting to find out.

Cheers

Martin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zerothebrake!

I am on the Railways of Devon and Cornwall Facebook page, the other day there was a photo of a diverted Class 47 hauled XC Derby to Plymouth service passing through Feniton in January 2002.

I know XC haven't diverted that way for at least 15 years since the Waterloo to Exeter trains went to hourly circa 2009/2010 ish, however my mind tells me the last time Cross Country trains were diverted that way when Exeter-Taunton is closed was around 2005, although I can't find anything online to suggest that Voyagers were ever diverted that way. Having lived in the Exeter area since 2006, I have only ever known GWR to divert this way.

Does anyone have any information/ confirmation if Virgin XC diverted trains via the 'Mule' post 'Operation Princess'? Would be interesting to find out.

Cheers

Martin
Non of the current crews sign via Yeovil - and this has been the case for many years.

In Virgin XC days there were around a dozen Plymouth based Drivers & Train Managers that used to go that way.

The only diversionary route that they have now is via Westbury from Taunton.

Veteran Member
Non of the current crews sign via Yeovil - and this has been the case for many years.

In Virgin XC days there were around a dozen Plymouth based Drivers & Train Managers that used to go that way.
Realistically, there is very little chance that paths over the single line would be available now, so maintaining route knowledge would be a waste (whereas GW run an ECS from Axminster to Castle Cary specifically for the purpose).

Class 170101

Established Member
Realistically, there is very little chance that paths over the single line would be available now, so maintaining route knowledge would be a waste (whereas GW run an ECS from Axminster to Castle Cary specifically for the purpose).
With the Hourly SWR service these days GWR usually only run a service every two hours each way, I don't think they can better that

Martin_1981

There was one within the last year or so, but it ran empty.
Probably would have been a night time ECS move to get a Voyager or HST to where it needed to be I guess. March 2023 was the last time there were scheduled diversions this way during a 4 day blockade, so that's probably when it would have been.

superalbs

Established Member
Probably would have been a night time ECS move to get a Voyager or HST to where it needed to be I guess. March 2023 was the last time there were scheduled diversions this way during a 4 day blockade, so that's probably when it would have been.
Could well have been! I remember it was an HST. There's a photo out there somewhere, but unfortunately I didn't save it to my collection of unusual things. :(