• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When did the GWR last use broad-gauge type 'top-hat' rails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Decapod

I know that The Great Western Railway ceased running broad-gauge trains in 1892, but what I'm wondering is how long the broad-gauge type top-hat section rails continued in use on their tracks after conversion. Throughout the GWR network, the gauge conversion was usually either a matter of moving one rail closer to the other or, where the lines were mixed gauge, simply removing the redundant rail.

So much of the GWR network must at one time have been 'makeshift' standard gauge track using the old broad gauge rails. What I'm wondering is how long it was before the last of this track was replaced by standard bullhead rails with chairs etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I know that The Great Western Railway ceased running broad-gauge trains in 1892, but what I'm wondering is how long the broad-gauge type top-hat section rails continued in use on their tracks after conversion. Throughout the GWR network, the gauge conversion was usually either a matter of moving one rail closer to the other or, where the lines were mixed gauge, simply removing the redundant rail.

So much of the GWR network must at one time have been 'makeshift' standard gauge track using the old broad gauge rails. What I'm wondering is how long it was before the last of this track was replaced by standard bullhead rails with chairs etc.

There was track in use on the Cirencester Branch (certainly at the Kemble end) well into the 20th Century. I would have to hit the books to say when they actually removed it. But im certain ive seen photographs with it as late as the 20s, perhaps later.

Of course, they never REALLY stopped using it in a way. There is quite a few lines (certainly my local branch lines) that were fenced off with the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.