• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When do you start listening to Christmas music?

When do you start listening to Christmas music?

• All year

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • When my local lights are switched on

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • December 1st

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • December 24th

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I don't

Votes: 31 44.9%
  • Some other date

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swj99

All year - 3
Who were the other 2 who voted for this option ?

Some Christmas music is so good that I'd quite happily listen to it all year round.

Naughty Christmas
by Fat Les is one of my favourites. They must have had a right laugh making the video for that, although I'm amazed that some of them didn't get killed or arrested doing it.

SS4

Established Member
Interesting that so many of you don't like listening to Christmas music. Why is that?

There are very few Christmas songs that align with my musical tastes. The Darkness is one of these few.

The majority of them are the formulaic, by-the-book, generic pop.

richw

Veteran Member
Who were the other 2 who voted for this option ?

I was number 4, only voted as I have to admit to you tubing Fairytale of New York in summer. My local radio station presenter also put a Christmas song on in the summer following a Facebook discussion about the matter.

Bevan Price

Established Member
agreed on that, Mariah Scary and that Macca one are the worst, plus the Destiny's Child * Days one from recent years (Materialistic sh*te, rather than just sh*te).

There are much worse christmas songs that I can think of, for example:
"All I want for Christmas is a Beatle" (Dora Bryan)

"I saw mummy kissing Santa Claus", etc.

Some I find OK, if not played too often:
"Blue Christmas" (Elvis Presley)
"Lonely this Christmas" (Mud)
"I believe in Father Christmas" (Greg Lake)

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Around November the 25th ;) Because uni finishes so early that Christmas celebrations would feel a little out of place, we just shift much of it forward by a month.

We even give it a new name, but I don't want to reveal where it is I actually go...

philjo

Established Member
Advent Sunday (i.e. next Sunday) when the Advent service is broadcast on Radio 3 - but I only want to listen to the carols relating to Advent for the next couple of weeks.

marks87

Established Member
There are some Christmas songs I like, and yes that does include the "cheese". But I don't listen to them until nearer the 25th, because it would start to get boring.

One exception is the usual lineup from Nine Lessons and Carols. I work at a university, and they have their annual service on the first Sunday in December - I know Christmas is on the way when I'm holding a candle and "Once in Royal David's City" starts up. Of course, on a similar note, nothing really compares to Carols from King's on Christmas Eve. That seems to mark the transition from the mad rush of pre-Christmas, to Christmas itself.

Also, am I alone in thinking that carols don't have a place on Christmas Day itself? I've always seen them as more of a Christmas Eve thing.

Oh, and the Salvation Army brass band on the street corner - brilliant!

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
I'm a death metal fan myself so none of it floats my boat at all. If I had to pick one I can just about stand it would be Fairytale of New York.

Anyway, Happy Consumerist Greetings to you all. Ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.