• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When is the latest you can renew a student railcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerheid

Established Member
Hello!

What's the latest time you can renew a student railcard (as a mature student)? Is it just before teaching ends? Just before graduation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hello!

What's the latest time you can renew a student railcard? It it just before teaching ends? Just before graduation?

Realistically, the expiry date on your student ID, or the day before your 26th birthday, whichever comes last.

(I think there is an extra stipulation for the 3 year version though)

[.n]

Hello!

What's the latest time you can renew a student railcard (as a mature student)? Is it just before teaching ends? Just before graduation?

There will be a date in your institution's student records system that is your official end date. That's the date I tell my team to use when validating paper forms for mature students (its the same for the student oystercards, though in that case its the valid until date, and that's an electronic confirmation via Innovator).

Of course if you're under 26, its the day before your 26th birthday :)

tomoufc

Let's say my mature student status ends on 30/09/19. Let us also say that my current 16-25 Railcard expires on 16/12/19. Can I purchase a new 16-25 Railcard on 29/09/19, and legally use it for a year, even if it both overlaps with the validity of my current railcard, and I would only have student status for one day out of 365? Completely hypothetical question, of course!

[.n]

In your scenario, then I believe the answer is yes. As far as I can tell for NR Railcards, the rule is that you have to qualify on the day of purchase, not necessarily throughout the period of validity. You may have an NUS/ISIC card which has a "better" end date on it - in which case I'd suggest you use that.

For comparison, if I had authorised your 18+ student Oystercard then it wouldn't matter how much of your "year" you had left - on the 1/10/19 we would cancel your card in Innovator

tomoufc

In your scenario, then I believe the answer is yes. As far as I can tell for NR Railcards, the rule is that you have to qualify on the day of purchase, not necessarily throughout the period of validity. You may have an NUS/ISIC card which has a "better" end date on it - in which case I'd suggest you use that.

For comparison, if I had authorised your 18+ student Oystercard then it wouldn't matter how much of your "year" you had left - on the 1/10/19 we would cancel your card in Innovator
Thanks

nuts & bolts

Realistically, the expiry date on your student ID, or the day before your 26th birthday, whichever comes last.

(I think there is an extra stipulation for the 3 year version though)

It's valid for a year is the 26+ mature student 16-25 railcard, if the OP has not registered their current one it can be done online (railcards.co.uk) and a new railcard purchased prior to expiry date if they are eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.