• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When were the Bridlington Excursion platforms last used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montyburns56

I was looking at Bridlington station on Google Maps and I noticed that it still retains it's excursion platforms including other associated trackwork and sidings. I can't imagine that they have been in been in regular, if only seasonal usage, since the 80s?? so have they been retained for some other reason?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

timj

Hmm I see what you mean, the platforms and track are still there on Google Maps although I was recently looking at the Bridlington station photos available on flickr and one showed the excursion platforms but had this text:
"Platform 7 was still in use in 2000, but 8 had become redundant by 1994 - both were demolished some time ago"

They were used into the 90s until the drivers depot closed and for engineering trains etc. They are now out of use as the levers are collared. The up excursion line connection to the up main was removed in the last couple of years. The down excursion line remains for access to platform 6. Both 7 and 8 have been shortened by a few yards for the new station forecourt. I doubt they'll see anymore trains but you never know.
The sidings are overgrown and the platform lines overgrown. It's a terrible mess but it's how the modern railway treats the lineside.

gazr

There is a article in the latest BLN (Branch Line News) regarding Bridlington. Plans are to have P2 be bi-directional, P1 remain (but will probably see little use) and the Bay platform remain...the rest is to go. Hope I remember that correctly.

Edit: I can highly recommend becoming a member of BLS for the BLN alone.

Class195

How many platforms did it originally have and when did they go? Seems strange having platforms 5,6 etc....

It had 2 with a bay originally, then a three platform excursion station was added to the south. Due to colossal crowds in 1912 the station was extended south of platforms 1 and 2 with the station front becoming an island platform with two up platforms Nos 4 and 5. The original platforms 1 and 2 became a pair of down through platforms with turn back signals. A bay platform 6 ran alongside No 5 and the excursion station was lengthened with two long platforms 7 and 8. This was to cater for the immense flows of tourists in the summer. A new spacious station concourse was created to link the complex together.
The design allowed trains from Hull and from Selby direction to follow quickly and discharge onto clear platforms on the way to Scarborough. Likewise returning passengers on Saturday would be clear of each other using Nos 4 and 5. On Saturdays there could be up to 15 excursion trains in addition to the regular trains to Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Kings Cross etc.
It's a shadow of itself today but the handsome concourse remains and enough of the splendid platform canopy over platforms 5 and 6.
Mr Pearson the last Station Manager declined to renumber the platforms, so I'm told.

Platform 3 was taken out of use around 1972
Platforms 1 & 2 were abolished on March 20 1983
Platform 4 became the down platform at the same time in 1983
Platforms 7 and 8 fell into disuse after 2000 (others may be clearer)

At the moment all three usable platforms are put to good use and there is little slack if things get out of place. It would be useful to have passenger trains run into platform 5 from Hull (only ECS at the moment).

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
In the early 2000s I went on a railtour run by Green Express tours that parked in the excursion Platforms. It was a good run! Some rare track to be had round the back of Hull.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
From my knowledge a planning application recently went in (about 6 months probably) to demolish the remaining disused bay platform and to build upon it in conjunction with the adjacent car park.

Class195

It had 2 with a bay originally, then a three platform excursion station was added to the south. Due to colossal crowds in 1912 the station was extended south of platforms 1 and 2 with the station front becoming an island platform with two up platforms Nos 4 and 5. The original platforms 1 and 2 became a pair of down through platforms with turn back signals. A bay platform 6 ran alongside No 5 and the excursion station was lengthened with two long platforms 7 and 8. This was to cater for the immense flows of tourists in the summer. A new spacious station concourse was created to link the complex together.
The design allowed trains from Hull and from Selby direction to follow quickly and discharge onto clear platforms on the way to Scarborough. Likewise returning passengers on Saturday would be clear of each other using Nos 4 and 5. On Saturdays there could be up to 15 excursion trains in addition to the regular trains to Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Kings Cross etc.
It's a shadow of itself today but the handsome concourse remains and enough of the splendid platform canopy over platforms 5 and 6.
Mr Pearson the last Station Manager declined to renumber the platforms, so I'm told.

At the moment all three usable platforms are put to good use and there is little slack if things get out of place. It would be useful to have passenger trains run into platform 5 from Hull (only ECS at the moment).

Thank you for that information, I only visited Bridlington in the 80s as a child and I couldn’t remember seeing any of the original station.

Has the line from Bridlington to Bempton always been single track?

I’m guessing the vast majority of services were from the South eg Hull so there wouldn’t have been the need to double track all the way North?

YorksDMU

The line from Bridlington to Bempton is in fact single to Hunmanby, and was used as a single track after the line was reprieved from closure in 1969. The work to convert it to single track was, from the records I have, undertaken in 1973.
It will take further timetable changes to get platform 5 bi-directional. The trains can run late, and when they do, platform 4 is needed too.

montyburns56

Thanks for comprehensive reply. The loss of so many platforms on the north side helps to explains why there are so many modern(ish) houses just north of the current station on Station Ave.

montyburns56

From my knowledge a planning application recently went in (about 6 months probably) to demolish the remaining disused bay platform and to build upon it in conjunction with the adjacent car park.

Yeah, I also read that story when I was Googling about the station.

montyburns56

They were used into the 90s until the drivers depot closed and for engineering trains etc. They are now out of use as the levers are collared. The up excursion line connection to the up main was removed in the last couple of years. The down excursion line remains for access to platform 6. Both 7 and 8 have been shortened by a few yards for the new station forecourt. I doubt they'll see anymore trains but you never know.
The sidings are overgrown and the platform lines overgrown. It's a terrible mess but it's how the modern railway treats the lineside.

Right thanks, I did wonder if the sidings were being used for engineering trains or other stock storage. What exactly was the driver's depot back then though? Was it just a signing on point, stabling sidings etc? I know that there used to be an engine shed, but I'm guessing that was removed in the 60s.

montyburns56

I have found some additional info about recent changes affecting the excursion platforms on Wikipedia.

"The excursion platforms on the opposite side (7 & 8) were taken out of regular use before signalling changes in 2000 that put the line northwards towards Filey & Scarborough under the control of the signal boxes at Bridlington South and Seamer, leaving only three platforms (4–6) in operation. Platform 8 was reinstated as a siding (i.e. not for passenger trains) for a time (2003-2007), but then abandoned once again. The buffers and most of the track in the platforms were removed on 1 September 2014 to make way for a Council project for a car park; however the major part of the platform itself, some track in the platform, signalling and all connecting track and point work remain in situ, with the exception of the connection from the Up Excursion to the main line, which was removed on 30 November 2015"

Ploughman

Established Member
The line from Bridlington to Bempton is in fact single to Hunmanby, and was used as a single track after the line was reprieved from closure in 1969. The work to convert it to single track was, from the records I have, undertaken in 1973.
It will take further timetable changes to get platform 5 bi-directional. The trains can run late, and when they do, platform 4 is needed too.
From Hunmanby to Filey is double track, reverting to single at the North side of Filey Stn LC continuing on as single to just short of Seamer Jcn.

Class195

Cheers for the information. I'm guessing the benefits of bi-direction are for the Sheffield and Hull terminators?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Network Rail are currently proposing to do a significant amount of remodelling at Bridlington in conjunction with the renewal of the signalling (including the possible end of all of the remaining Semaphores). The layout is rationalised from 13 sets of points to 5, and the excursion platforms loose all track. At this time it is also proposed to renumber the platforms, with the current p4 becoming p1, p5 becoming p2 and p6 becoming p1. The new p2 would additionally be bidirectional allowing for its use in preference to p1 to avoid passengers needing to make use of the footbridge (which has no lifts).

Thanks Gazr, I joined the BLS today.
I notice only two crossovers will be used which means Platform 4 will be for down trains only. A run round will not be possible any longer unless up trains can shunt at the north end. Another crossover trailing from down to up before the platforms would give more flexibility if trains run out of course. This would allow trains arriving in 4 to turn back and access the up main. There is very little slack in the timetable and a late running train can cause many problems due to the long block sections. With just two turn backs the options are limited.
Using 5 in the down direction takes pressure off the foot crossing due to lack of a lift to the footbridge.
When Nos 1 and 2 were demolished a right of way should have been retained to the town hall side but unfortunately, houses were packed into the small site and a very useful way out was stopped up forcing everyone to exit via the concourse. It would have provided level access to No 4.

Last edited:
The present timetable has pinch points when down terminating trains conflict with up trains. At the moment these use platform 4 and turn back whilst 5 or 6 have an up train about to depart within 3 minutes. This means they are clear of the up line. The new arrangements will need timetable alterations as the up line will be occupied by incoming trains. Down trains may have to stand outside until the line is clear.

Only an outline which indicates all connections to excursion lines abolished, a new facing crossover further south than at present. Plain up and down lines into the station throat and a connection from the up main to platform 6. At the Quay end no seeming change to track. Points to be clamp locks and signals to be colour light with a new starter for down trains to run north from platform 5. So five points in total. This info is from the BLS newsletter as mentioned above. No detailed plans yet available.
With so much abandonment I would imagine they will relay the mains at the same time.

xc170

Interesting, I'm a regular visitor to Brid and this is the first I've head of this.

montyburns56

Between the Station building and the goods shed.
Across the carpark you used to be able to trace the line of rails that led to the Brid Quay branch to the harbour.

Funnily enough I recently found this great photo from 1982 which shows a Class 31 shunting in the goods yard which led to that very branch.

YorksDMU

I have, from a class 158, in May, 2017, these photo’s which I took as it left Bridlington for Hull. I think you can see what a poor state things were in by then, and no better now - when I say now, my most recent journey this year was at the beginning of March. So it seems something must be done, and it looks like we now know what it will be.
70228789-7F31-4CE1-9359-99C2C86C28D7.jpeg

A48977C3-D84F-4DE3-98D3-B47FA662F7A9.jpeg

0866EE24-FFDB-4FD4-BC83-00D81632371F.jpeg

C467E17C-61CC-4E66-93CF-3D2AB1A8EF2D.jpeg

Whilst the station building and concourse are well looked after the area immediately around is shockingly neglected and overgrown. It's the legacy of Network Rail, the UK's main propagator of buddleia. I visited yesterday and was appalled by the state of the lineside and the overgrown embankments. Rails left here and there and speed posts not cut to the right length - clearly the pway team don't give a toss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.