• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When were the Bridlington Excursion platforms last used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montyburns56

I have, from a class 158, in May, 2017, these photo’s which I took as it left Bridlington for Hull. I think you can see what a poor state things were in by then, and no better now - when I say now, my most recent journey this year was at the beginning of March. So it seems something must be done, and it looks like we now know what it will be.
View attachment 78120

View attachment 78121

View attachment 78122

View attachment 78123

Thanks, those pictures give a big clue as to how long it is has been since those tracks have been used. And I bet that Network Rail will be glad to get rid of that double slip when they rationalize the layout.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kevinbev

Just to the western side of the station and left of Station Road is the remains of what I think was the old platform 1. The platform is well overgrown. It was obviously severed from the road bridge at this point as there are light industrial units there and beyond to the east is the church and retirement housing.2B54DE6F-CD0B-43C0-87DF-B4B11EEF29E9.jpeg1BDB8205-31B7-4347-8E14-E64783465F67.jpeg5EA8DF18-286A-4CE8-B270-E485F37D99D5.jpeg19690F58-C8CE-40AD-8B69-19FF1E0CA0D0.jpeg5E3BCE8D-A5CA-4F93-B7BC-9019E2935928.jpeg

Killingworth

Established Member
Looking at the 1962 1:1,250 map I can see how and where they held all the West Riding excursions on Saturdays in summer. They followed each other every 15 minutes through Market Weighton and Driffield, some going to Butlins at Filey where there were another 4 platforms.

Class195

Here's a pic of the end of platform 1 just before the tracks were abandoned in March 1983. The end of platform 2 has been demolished already. The lamp on the platform is still there 37 years later! Picture from Fisherman Dave on Flickr.

Mushroomman

I was looking at Bridlington station on Google Maps and I noticed that it still retains it's excursion platforms including other associated trackwork and sidings. I can't imagine that they have been in been in regular, if only seasonal usage, since the 80s?? so have they been retained for some other reason?

Mushroomman

Hey up if I'm correct, the excursion platforms (7 and 8 ) are still in place but they are disconnected from the running lines, the semaphore signals ( proper signals!!) are still there. The levers which work them are numbers 1 and 2 in South box. The last time I saw anything in number 8 platform was 45 141 early 90s.Not too sure about number 7 platform
Also,as far as I'm aware the land of the former coach park next to plat 7 and 8 has been sold so the platforms may soon disappear.

alistairlees

Established Member
Hey up if I'm correct, the excursion platforms (7 and 8 ) are still in place but they are disconnected from the running lines, the semaphore signals ( proper signals!!) are still there. The levers which work them are numbers 1 and 2 in South box. The last time I saw anything in number 8 platform was 45 141 early 90s.Not too sure about number 7 platform
Also,as far as I'm aware the land of the former coach park next to plat 7 and 8 has been sold so the platforms may soon disappear.
If it was 45141 that would have been no later than summer 1988 as it was withdrawn around then.

Mushroomman

Just out of interest, does anybody remember the Schofield twins at Brid station? They were both senior railmen and what a pair of characters they were,always having a laugh and a joke and went out of their way to make enthusiasts welcome and were always helpful at passing on train running info,true railway legends!!

As a child in the 70s I remember the town coming alive after Easter and through the season. Gradually
a fairly quiet but grand station served by DMUs and the daily class 20 freight would see loco hauled specials most days and frantic activity on Saturdays with trains running minutes apart. We used to travel on the Kings Cross train and eat in the dining car. Friends and family would visit from Derby, Manchester, London all coming by direct train. DMUs were everywhere too with 9 and 10 carriage formations common. By September it all went away and it was back to the sleepy timetable for another winter.

I recently went back to take a look and was dismayed to see the neglect. But it's not just the station, they've torn down huge numbers of buildings with redevelopment but failed to do the most obvious thing which is build a marina, develop and beautify the harbour. A huge missed opportunity.
The rebuilt Spa complex is a very good start and the town really ought to put itself on the cultural map by copying Margate and opening a first rate gallery perhaps calling it 'The Hockney'

Last edited:

Mollman

Established Member
As a child in the 70s I remember the town coming alive after Easter and through the season. Gradually
a fairly quiet but grand station served by DMUs and the daily class 20 freight would see loco hauled specials most days and frantic activity on Saturdays with trains running minutes apart. We used to travel on the Kings Cross train and eat in the dining car. Friends and family would visit from Derby, Manchester, London all coming by direct train. DMUs were everywhere too with 9 and 10 carriage formations common. By September it all went away and it was back to the sleepy timetable for another winter.

I recently went back to take a look and was dismayed to see the neglect. But it's not just the station, they've torn down huge numbers of buildings with redevelopment but failed to do the most obvious thing which is build a marina, develop and beautify the harbour. A huge missed opportunity.
The rebuilt Spa complex is a very good start and the town really ought to put itself on the cultural map by copying Margate and opening a first rate gallery perhaps calling it 'The Hockney'

The marina has been an ongoing saga in Brid. Latest news story I could find is 2015 when it was finally agreed but I think it has been put on the back burner again since then.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-34932069

xc170

I'm in Brid a few times a year and generally I agree, lots of buildings torn down and building sites but very little progress.

The sea front is nice though, from the spa up to south shore, lovely prom and beach. North shore could do with a bit of a spruce up, modern paving would make a big difference.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

As part of the new transport interchange works platforms 7 and 8 are/have been shortened (https://newplanningaccess.eastriding.gov.uk/newplanningaccess/ 15/00133/STPLF and 15/00134/STLBC), but as far as I am aware the rest of the land is to remain in railway ownership.

Do they propose to keep the present Signal Box ?

I believe this is effectively a big renewal project and the signal box remains controlling the same area.

Status
Not open for further replies.