• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will a St Albans / Luton train call at Cricklewood and Hendon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
When I want to get a train home, sometimes I need to take the St Albans train but sometimes I need to take the Luton train. However, I can't see a pattern which trains will call at Cricklewood and Hendon and which will run semi-fast to Mill Hill Broadway.

When I reach West Hampstead Thameslink and see a train stopping at the northbound slow platform, how I should know if the train is the one I want if the calling list isn't at the right place?

In short, what I should look for on the departure board or the train display, which is always shown prominently, to decide if I should board the departing train at West Hampstead Thameslink or not?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
I *think* all trains to St. Albans (terminating) have come from the Sutton Loop and will be all stations. Luton trains (terminating) have come from Rainham and will be semi-fast. So Luton would be semi-fast and St Albans stopper. I may be wrong.

Again, I think (may be wrong) the semi-fasts use the slow lines so I don’t see them overtaking the slows. So I think if you took the slow it would still be quicker than waiting for the semi fast.

Starmill

Veteran Member
In the weekday off peak standard pattern, services for St Albans City run four times per hour with all calling at Cricklewood and Hendon.
When I reach West Hampstead Thameslink and see a train stopping at the northbound slow platform, how I should know if the train is the one I want if the calling list isn't at the right place?
I would recommend using a smartphone app. Have you tried this?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
When I want to get a train home, sometimes I need to take the St Albans train but sometimes I need to take the Luton train. However, I can't see a pattern which trains will call at Cricklewood and Hendon and which will run semi-fast to Mill Hill Broadway.

In short, what I should look for on the departure board or the train display, which is always shown prominently, to decide if I should board the departing train at West Hampstead Thameslink or not?

Look at the stopping pattern of the train on a departure screen? It won't be long to wait to see the list.

In the weekday off peak standard pattern, services for St Albans City run four times per hour with all calling at Cricklewood and Hendon.

Or this? Or even a website on a phone will do fine.

miklcct

On Moderation
I *think* all trains to St. Albans (terminating) have come from the Sutton Loop and will be all stations. Luton trains (terminating) have come from Rainham and will be semi-fast. So Luton would be semi-fast and St Albans stopper. I may be wrong.

Again, I think (may be wrong) the semi-fasts use the slow lines so I don’t see them overtaking the slows. So I think if you took the slow it would still be quicker than waiting for the semi fast.
I have checked the timetable and there is no pattern during the evening - sometimes it's Luton and sometimes it's St Albans. They are not always at the same minutes past the hour as well.

In contrast, southbound trains from Cricklewood always departs at 13, 28, 43, 58 past the hour and always go to Sutton except overnight trains - a perfect example of regular clockface timetabling.

Look at the stopping pattern of the train on a departure screen? It won't be long to wait to see the list.
The departure boards at West Hampstead Thameslink (the only station I care about as it's the point of no return) can't show all stations calls at once and take forever to scroll the list.
Which app or website can show me the required information with the minimum number of taps when I see a train already standing at platform 2 while approaching the station?

RJ

Established Member

Don't try to learn any "patterns" - this doesn't work for everyone where the service is complex. Plenty of options to help you with cross referencing departure times with your intended destination.

- Check the departure screens on the platform
- Listen to announcements at the station
- Check on the National Rail app
- Check on the Thameslink, or any other TOC app
- Call National Rail Enquires or Thameslink customer services for help

You have to be extra alert at West Hampstead as there are regular last second platform changes and trains making extra stops at Cricklewood and Hendon due to cancellations.

Last edited:

SE%Traveller

Generally the St Albans Service is the All Stops and the Luton Service the Semi - Fast. However this flips during the Peaks where the St Albans run Semi-Fast and the Luton's all stops.

St Pancras - Cricklewood

Can't remember why, think it's something to do with the East Midlands Trains timetable

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Evening peak northbound goes off pattern.

If you are not willing or able to learn the times of the trains, then looking at the departure screens is your best bet.

for ease of reference, here is the line up for departures from West Hampstead to Cricklewood from 1500-2000 on a weekday, courtesy of real time trains:

D5CF2A7C-2C52-4412-958E-039066634B1E.jpeg

(Picture shows a train timetable)

Gerard92

Generally the St Albans Service is the All Stops and the Luton Service the Semi - Fast. However this flips during the Peaks where the St Albans run Semi-Fast and the Luton's all stops.

St Pancras - Cricklewood

Can't remember why, think it's something to do with the East Midlands Trains timetable

I’m sure it was due to Luton Airport wanting there workers to have a direct service to the Airport without having to change trains at St Albans

Magdalia

Established Member
I travel through West Hampstead Thameslink occasionally, and happened to be passing through today.

I don't understand the problem.

There is a big departure screen outside the Iverson Road entrance that displays calling points using horizontal scrolling.

There are departure screens for each platform on the footbridge that list calling points, though I have to concede that they are difficult to read when backlit by evening sun.

Each platform has two departure screens, one near the stairs and one near the lifts. These also display calling points using horizontal scrolling.

Just wait on platform 2 for the first train that's advertised to stop: the chance of the first train being from platform 4 is only a gnat's crotchet from zero. At West Hampstead Thameslink platform bingo is usually played if heading towards the Thameslink core, not away from it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
However, I can't see a pattern which trains will call at Cricklewood and Hendon and which will run semi-fast to Mill Hill Broadway.
You may be looking for something that doesn't exist. Leave logic at the station door!
By looking at the departure board
Let the departure board scroll through the entire journey and see if your station is mentioned. Am I missing something here?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which app or website can show me the required information with the minimum number of taps when I see a train already standing at platform 2 while approaching the station?

Realtime Trains.

Bookmark this URL:

It will show you the forthcoming departures and will show "At platform" on the left and a bold platform number if it's the one that's there now.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Realtime Trains.

Bookmark this URL:

It will show you the forthcoming departures and will show "At platform" on the left and a bold platform number if it's the one that's there now.
The only downside to this is that as it doesn't use the Darwin data it's often not able to show amendments in real time, or sometimes even at all.

For example here's a service from five days ago which was cancelled from Bristol Temple Meads to its destination at Severn Beach: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W15613/2022-06-26

As you can see it has just become stuck on 'at platform' and never updated it to cancelled.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The only downside to this is that as it doesn't use the Darwin data it's often not able to show amendments in real time, or sometimes even at all.

For example here's a service from five days ago which was cancelled from Bristol Temple Meads to its destination at Severn Beach: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W15613/2022-06-26

As you can see it has just become stuck on 'at platform' and never updated it to cancelled.
Have you been to Bristol? How can be you so sure it isn't just still there? Seems just as likely that it'll depart at any moment. Any moment now.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Have you been to Bristol? How can be you so sure it isn't just still there? Seems just as likely that it'll depart at any moment. Any moment now.

:)

I don't find this sort of thing happens very often, to be fair, I normally find RTT shows part and full cancellations correctly. It's not however unknown for it to be slower at showing them than sites with a Darwin feed.

Other option is the OP puts this link on their phone:
https://tiger.worldline.global/WHMPSTM/cisds (corrected)

However it isn't quite as at a glance as the RTT page.

James H

Some apps - like the excellent ByTrain iPhone app - will let you save as a 'favourite' on the app launch screen a filtered view of departures at West Hampstead Thameslink (eg calling at Cricklewood.

miklcct

On Moderation
:)

I don't find this sort of thing happens very often, to be fair, I normally find RTT shows part and full cancellations correctly. It's not however unknown for it to be slower at showing them than sites with a Darwin feed.

Other option is the OP puts this link on their phone:
https://tiger.worldline.global/WHMPSTM/cisds (corrected)

However it isn't quite as at a glance as the RTT page.
Thank you for your link. I also find Realtime Trains don't update cancellations or skip stops at real time, and only shows not stopping afterwards.

miklcct

On Moderation
Screenshot_20220630-120528_Launcher 10.png

Also, I have added this widget from the National Rail app into my home screen. Can I safely assume that if a train at platform 2 isn't listed here it won't call at Cricklewood?

Status
Not open for further replies.