• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will Northern fix automated announcements stating the wrong next station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

a1904

Transpennine
The audio announcements couldn't be changed (in 2016, last time I was involved), which is why the conductor-guard had to manually announce on trains that called at Kirkstall Forge and Apperley Bridge. I too have hated that "here", it should be "there" when at Guiseley and "here" on the apprauch to Leeds.

Slightly off-topic, but I've caught more than a few buses in Leeds that announce their next stop, the announcements bearing no relationship to what appears on the screen, which is the actual name of the stop as printed on the stop flag and held in NaPTAN. It's like no-one cares enough to test these things.
The 229 from Huddersfield to Leeds announces the next stop as Leeds Road on nearly every single stop on Leeds road which is about 20. Always gives me flashbacks of 185s announcing they'll be in Dewsbury soon every 5 seconds when they make an extra stop.

185 related, does anyone know if there's some deeper issues or are the speakers on them just knackered because God, conductors on those are loud

Last edited:

CHAPS2034

On the 331s going from Manchester Piccadilly to Crewe, WILMSLOW is shouted.

There is also another bug on this route where it is announced that 'the next station is Levenshulme. Change here for London, Wales and local services'. A similar thing happens when approaching Cheadle Hulme, where apparently you can also change for London and Wales!

Arty Morgan

A probable reason put forward was that someone accidentally deleted all of the W stations from the database and then they were re-added louder than originally...

Adam0984

Yes, I can expand on this.

A CAF applied software update effectively knackered the PIS component of the 331/195s, which resulted in some falling back to the originally installed software (along with mispronunciations such as Frizzinghall, bringing back 'Northern Rail' and 'Northern by arriva' branding). This also broke the remote software update facility so the trains had to be done physically by CAF on depot.

The fix for this incident also introduced a few other bugs, such as the loud W stations. But CAF are dragging their heels on a further update, given the problems the last one caused.

Northern are unable to adjust the volume themselves, it has to go through CAF. And they have been pushing CAF pretty hard (who in turn have probably passed it on to Televic who supplied the system)...
And the reverting to the original software caused some offence amongst some guards when it said about asking the conductor as HE walks though the train

ASharpe

There is also another bug on this route where it is announced that 'the next station is Levenshulme. Change here for London, Wales and local services'. A similar thing happens when approaching Cheadle Hulme, where apparently you can also change for London and Wales!
They do something similar at Kirkstal Forge, the least served station on that line with no connections. I think it might mention Scotland too.

Status
Not open for further replies.