• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will Scotland return to some sort of normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

applepie2100

So 28 minutes of utter waffle from Nicola Sturgeon has produced very little of any substance. I'm becoming more and more convinced that Nicola Sturgeon wants to keep Scotland under her control for as long as humanly possible. The First Minister has the best interests of the SNP as her only priority and not the people of Scotland.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
The 5 mile rule has been extended in Scotland for 3 more weeks until Phase 3 is enacted.
But you can go further than that to meet friends and family - that might have already been the case, but I didn’t realise it was until today.

For me, the most encouraging part was the reopening of places of worship for prayer. Although the church is only a building, and more important is what the people do, it’ll be nice to get back inside it again for the first time in over 3 months.
However - this is maybe more suitable in another thread - it’s not great to see the insistence on face coverings and distancing on public transport. The whole point of coverings is for where distancing isn’t possible.

Journeyman

Established Member
Personally I think that if there‘s no change in focus or attitude, specifically surrounding social distancing and the actual risk vs perceived risk of the virus, this is going to cause vast unnecessary damage to the mental well-being and economy of Scotland and I certainly didn’t find anything mentioned today reassuring, if anything the opposite.

Absolutely. This offers me practically nothing, and raises the prospect of a miserable, joyless life for months to come. I haven't been able to work for three months, and I'm now working on the assumption that I won't be going back.

So 28 minutes of utter waffle from Nicola Sturgeon has produced very little of any substance. I'm becoming more and more convinced that Nicola Sturgeon wants to keep Scotland under her control for as long as humanly possible. The First Minister has the best interests of the SNP as her only priority and not the people of Scotland.

She knows her core voters will lap this up. I find it particularly galling that she's implemented the English "social bubble" idea but has called it something else. While not drape a few Saltires around it while you're at it?

al78

Established Member
Yeah, it's all ridiculously over the top, and because our glorious leader seems determined to pander to the ridiculously fearful people who think hundreds will die if you go within 1.99m of them, we're stuck with it indefinitely.

I'll keep an eye on what happens when the leisure and hospitality sectors reopen, but if they're awash with nasty restrictions, I'll avoid them. Supposedly all this nonsense is to "reassure" people that things are "safe", but it puts me so on edge I just want to run away.

Things ARE safe. Only a tiny minority genuinely need to fear this virus.

Refusing to use facilities that are reopening because of a few arrows on the floor and some screening measures is over the top. I fully intend to start using leisure facilities and public transport, to refuse would be just continuing to restrict my life for no tangible (or other) benefit, and is thus highly illogical. It is one thing to disagree with the measures, it is another to voluntarily restrict yourself just on the basis of feeling and emotion.

Journeyman

Established Member
Refusing to use facilities that are reopening because of a few arrows on the floor and some screening measures is over the top. I fully intend to start using leisure facilities and public transport, to refuse would be just continuing to restrict my life for no tangible (or other) benefit, and is thus highly illogical. It is one thing to disagree with the measures, it is another to voluntarily restrict yourself just on the basis of feeling and emotion.

But if all these measures make me feel so miserable that a day out ceases to be fun, what's the point? And they do.

route101

Established Member
But if all these measures make me feel so miserable that a day out ceases to be fun, what's the point? And they do.

I agree to some extent its not going to be as fun. Me personally, i will venture out, already have to an extent . If you dont have a car its harder, just to go somewhere else makes all the difference mentally

scotrail158713

Established Member
I find it particularly galling that she's implemented the English "social bubble" idea but has called it something else. While not drape a few Saltires around it while you're at it?
To be fair it’s not the first thing she’s done that with throughout the pandemic - “road map” v “route map” & “track & trace” v “track and protect” spring to mind.
Well fine.. more room for those that truly want to get on with their lives, right?
Yep. If they’re still here in, say, a years time there’s nothing stopping you asking your MP or MSP to raise if it’s still necessary then. That’s what I intend on doing - I appreciate the need for certain measures just now and will follow them, but I don’t want them going on indefinitely.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
As far as I'm concerned, the face coverings ruling doesn't affect me at present as I have no need to use public transport. However, when the tourism and leisure industry is "reopened", whenever she decides to do this, I'd much rather see this requirement dropped as there really isn't anything leisurely about having to wear a tight, uncomfortable and sweaty piece of material over your nose and mouth, and I'm sure others would agree.

Edit: Face coverings will also be required on public transport during phase 3: https://www.gov.scot/publications/c...ap-through-out-crisis-phase-2-update/pages/5/

Quite frankly I am fed up of having my life controlled by an incapable Government when it'll be me having to pay for this in years to come. And yes, I will bare this in mind when it comes to the Scottish elections next year.

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
However - this is maybe more suitable in another thread - it’s not great to see the insistence on face coverings and distancing on public transport. The whole point of coverings is for where distancing isn’t possible.
According to the detailed guidance this is because although they acknowledge that face coverings are probably pointless, particularly with social distancing in place, they will make people feel more comfortable returning to public transport.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
According to the detailed guidance this is because although they acknowledge that face coverings are probably pointless, particularly with social distancing in place, they will make people feel more comfortable returning to public transport.
Opposite effective for me, I'm afraid! :rolleyes:

Scotrail12

I'm hard pressed to think of someone alive that I hate more than Nicola Sturgeon at this point.

I feel that she has no respect for us, as evidenced by the fact that she won't even start the full phase 2. I also feel that she's lied on some occasions as to what can and can't open. Aside from the fact that my mental health is low at the moment, I'll be paying for this in the future through taxes all because she wanted to make herself and her party look good and had them as the priority over the country and it's economy.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I'm hard pressed to think of someone alive that I hate more than Nicola Sturgeon at this point.

I feel that she has no respect for us, as evidenced by the fact that she won't even start the full phase 2. I also feel that she's lied on some occasions as to what can and can't open. Aside from the fact that my mental health is low at the moment, I'll be paying for this in the future through taxes all because she wanted to make herself and her party look good and had them as the priority over the country and it's economy.
Sadly, I’m beginning to agree with this, as are many people I talk to in my generation.

The young generation is bearing the brunt of this what appears to be little to no real benefit. Sturgeon seems incredibly hellbent on driving cases down to 0 (we’re at 20ish per day and that’s clearly still far too many for her), at the expense of our education as a generation (particularly universities which she’s not even so much as mentioned), the Scottish economy, and the mental health and well-being of the country.

It’s tough thinking that those 20 miles further south than me are enjoying the ability to travel anywhere (we’re restricted to 5 miles), open shops (our high street is mostly shutters for 2 more weeks), and use of public transport more freely (In Scotland it’s still very much essential only, and Scotrail can and have openly shamed those who go against this). How much longer is she going to pursue this extremely cautious approach when England is starting to change their approach to a more well balanced and economy focused one.

leightonbd

What she announced today was predictable but a bit Canute-like.

I think you will see people taking longer distance travel into their own hands. City dwellers are now heading for second homes, which is a surprisingly big thing in Scotland.

I think 2m is increasingly seen as discretionary on the streets and in shops. Govt is out of step on this and it is also undermining back to school plans - which are still being made on this basis.

Groups from multiple households have been meeting up for the last three weeks - today’s relaxation is meaningless.

Hospitality is showing signs of wanting to open and regards the next announcement as a formality.

Driving cases to zero - which I think she wants to achieve, ‘I’m the woman who tamed Covid’ - will be undermined when Uk-wide travel starts after 15 July (as it must) when hospitality opens. There will be more cases and the drive for zero will be shown to have been pointless. The true challenge is to be able to get on top of subsequent outbreaks and the trouble is that testing, track and trace still seems to be nowhere.

Richard Scott

Established Member

Sympathy from those of us who live in Wales and feel the same way about Mark Drayford. Think he and Nicola Sturgeon are two peas from same pod. Both hellbent on destroying the economy of their respective country and then probably blaming Westminster in the future (speculating here)!

Steveoh

Driving cases to zero - which I think she wants to achieve, ‘I’m the woman who tamed Covid’ - will be undermined when Uk-wide travel starts after 15 July (as it must) when hospitality opens. There will be more cases and the drive for zero will be shown to have been pointless. The true challenge is to be able to get on top of subsequent outbreaks and the trouble is that testing, track and trace still seems to be nowhere.

But then she can blame Boris

joncombe

Was anything further said about the previous guidance of the 15th July in the briefing today (I didn't see it, not even sure if it's broadcast in England)? From other comments it sounds like she has started to rein back some of the previously planned opening so I'm wondering if the 15th July date previously mentioned is still likely.

I travel to Scotland very often for a personal project I really enjoy. So I already had trips (that I booked last year) cancelled for March, April and May this year to continue that. I have another booked for early July (before the 15th) which will no doubt be cancelled too. So I'm really keen to start planning future trips (perhaps for early August) and hoping that hotels or self catering accommodation re-open soon and travel from England to Scotland is permitted again for leisure purposes. It would also really help me if the use of public transport for leisure purposes (I.E. non essential) is allowed again. I assume still no news on that? I appreciate it might be technically the case now, but many of the buses and trains I want to use are extremely infrequent (once per day isn't uncommon) so even if it's technically allowed I realise if public transport is going down the route some operators are doing in England (marking a bus as full once it has 8 passengers on) I might deny someone the ability to get to the shops because I'm making a leisure journey, which I don't want to be doing.

route101

Established Member
The 5 mile distance thing is a guideline, i can imagine many people breaking that , i have !

Id love to have a car right now, but its either buy car and wipe out my house deposit!

I do have a funny feeling that hospitality may be pushed back from the 15th of July

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In what way does she think it would be viable for a zoo or similar attraction to open purely for people living within 5 miles of it? That doesn't even allow the whole of Edinburgh to go to Edinburgh Zoo!

She's letting the Highland farmers lobby wreck everything, just as the Welsh are.

route101

Established Member
In what way does she think it would be viable for a zoo or similar attraction to open purely for people living within 5 miles of it? That doesn't even allow the whole of Edinburgh to go to Edinburgh Zoo!

She's letting the Highland farmers lobby wreck everything, just as the Welsh are.

Most likely the visitors will be coming from further afield than 5 miles

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Most likely the visitors will be coming from further afield than 5 miles

In which case drop the 5 mile thing!

I can see why she wants it, but if the aim is to (a) keep Central Belt inhabitants out of the Highlands, and (b) keep the Northern English daytrippers out entirely, then she could up it to something more useful like maybe 30 miles, because there's nothing really worth bothering too much about within that distance of Carlisle or Newcastle.

Meanwhile, I (in England) drove from MK to the Dales for a day's hiking today, I don't believe this is likely to have killed anybody.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator

Exactly. Given that things are not yet fully open so people are less likely to visit, and that you can travel as far as you want to visit family, I think today would have been the right time to drop the 5 mile rule. If she's so desperate then pick something more reasonable like 20-50 miles.

Meanwhile, I (in England) drove from MK to the Dales for a day's hiking today, I don't believe this is likely to have killed anybody.
I imagine many are making similar day trips in England, and there's been no significant rise in cases (they're still falling, albeit much more slowly). If this isn't good enough evidence for 5 miles to be dropped then I'm not sure what is, given the number of positive cases we see in a day are around 5-10 times less than the English deaths.

Gadget88

Shops to open but not malls. Crazy.

I guess that gives Edinburgh an advantage as most shops are in Princess Street and outdoors so I guess most of these shops will open?

Gadget88

Malls require queueing indoors which is higher risk? That said, I can't help but think that one is just to be that little "better" than Bozza.
My mall is open for Poundland and Superdrug so it makes little sense.

Also large centres like Westfield are open in London.

Butts

Veteran Member
Is anyone still paying attention to this "5 mile nonsense" - only the timid suckers heeding her every word I would have thought.

Can I assure people there are no checks anywhere. I have been travelling throughout the lockdown period on Trains,Planes and Automobiles from St Andrews to London and lots of points inbetween.

Although I am a Key Worker at no point have I ever been asked to verify this on any mode of Transport.

So Huntergreed be a devil and cross the Border - no one is waiting to catch you.

Status
Not open for further replies.