• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will the new Bakerloo line ticket hall at Paddington open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiggism

Hi all, Is there a better estimated date regarding the completion and opening of the the new bakerloo line tickethall at paddington station? Currently TFL mentions it as Mid 2023

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
I've never quite understood why they were replacing the bakerloo ticket hall at Paddington and what is the plan for the old one or am I hopelessly behind the times?
The old one seemed very worn-out, and the addition of new connecting tunnels to the Elizabeth line offered a good opportunty for renewal.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've never quite understood why they were replacing the bakerloo ticket hall at Paddington and what is the plan for the old one or am I hopelessly behind the times?
The Bakerloo line at Paddington is hideously congested, with there only being one up escalator meaning that even at quiet times there is a wait to get onto the escalator. At peak times and on weekends the crowds don't even clear before the next train arrives. It will also provide direct step-free access to the Bakerloo line rather than having to go via the Crossrail station.

It is largely funded by the developer of a new building at street level.

trebor79

Established Member
I still haven't managed to find the link between the Crossrail and Bakerloo stations at Paddington! I know there is one, but all of the signage directs you out of the Elizabeth line station completely and through the Paddington concourse.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The Elizabeth tobaccaloo link is a tunnel accessed by going down from the Elizabeth line platform and then changing levels again to access the bakerloo. Thanks for the very informative reply about the existing bakerloo ticket hall and access arrangements, I am always either on the bakerloo at Paddington or changing on to it from the Elizabeth line so was not aware of the issues at ticket hall and street level, I always go out of my way to access the National Rail concourse from the subsurface lines as it's generally much more convenient from my point of view

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I still haven't managed to find the link between the Crossrail and Bakerloo stations at Paddington! I know there is one, but all of the signage directs you out of the Elizabeth line station completely and through the Paddington concourse.
I’m sure there‘s fairly standard signage visible on a video I saw of Paddington Crossrail station back when it opened.
I suspect if on leaving a train your eyes are drawn straight to the nearest of the four sets of escalators up to the concourse you could easily miss the one set of escalators heading down towards the Bakerloo subway.
Here you go, 6m 34s into Geoff Marshall’s video:

Last edited:

DavyCrocket

Apparently it’s to open ‘next year’. Although the TfL website says mid 2023.
So I’d place money on next year.

Although the building above seems finished on the outside now

Dstock7080

Established Member

The work at Paddington Tube station will create:
  • Step-free access to Bakerloo line trains from the new plaza on Praed Street
  • A significantly larger Bakerloo line ticket hall, with more ticket gates to speed up journeys within the station
  • Better signs to guide customers through the station
  • An all-round improved and modernised station environment

MaidaVale

I saw the progress in around February during a night shift, and it was still largely a concrete shell. I can't see it opening before spring next year at the earliest from my experience.

thomalex

Does anyone know if the existing ticket hall is also going to be getting some improvements? It’s quite dark and dingy in there at the moment with various parts of the ceiling missing.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if the existing ticket hall is also going to be getting some improvements? It’s quite dark and dingy in there at the moment with various parts of the ceiling missing.
Just going by the drawings on the Ianvists website, I think the existing ticket hall will be knocked through and be just a small part of the new one. Possible that the join won’t be distinguishable when it’s finished.

Roger1973

The Bakerloo line at Paddington is hideously congested, with there only being one up escalator meaning that even at quiet times there is a wait to get onto the escalator. At peak times and on weekends the crowds don't even clear before the next train arrives. It will also provide direct step-free access to the Bakerloo line rather than having to go via the Crossrail station.

I try and avoid it now - have had one or two situations getting towards the top of the escalator up from the bakerloo, and have had to encourage people to keep moving so that I and others can get off the escalator. (And can't help thinking LU staff should have done something about it before it got to that point) - there must have been some 'near miss' situations at least...

Status
Not open for further replies.