• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will trains be confirmed during ASLEF strike action?

DanielDeronda

I am supposed to be travelling to Liverpool Lime Street from Manchester on 31st January, returning the same evening.

Services are still showing as normal, when will the NRE website be amended? And what is the likelihood of me being able to get back to Manchester departing around 2245-2330 on the 31st Jan?

I've checked coaches & there's nothing until 0245 the following morning.

In going to Liverpool to watch the football & staying in Manchester before going home to Reading on 1st Feb.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bertie the bus

Established Member
If the strike goes ahead then your chances are pretty much zero. The only non-TPE or Northern services from Liverpool - Manchester are EMR and they finish at 21:37.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's incredibly unlikely that there will be a train running at that time by an operator who has a strike on that day. Usually Northern is no service at all. TransPennine Express may have some services but not at that time. EMR don't run a westbound service at that time.

Veteran Member
I am supposed to be travelling to Liverpool Lime Street from Manchester on 31st January, returning the same evening.

Services are still showing as normal, when will the NRE website be amended?
End of this week probably.
And what is the likelihood of me being able to get back to Manchester departing around 2245-2330 on the 31st Jan?
There's a 2233/2333 LM to Crewe but I wouldn't bet on the 0044 NT CRE-MAN next morning running.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
End of this week probably.

There's a 2233/2333 LM to Crewe but I wouldn't bet on the 0044 NT CRE-MAN next morning running.
I'd go so far as to say there is effectively nil chance of the latter running. It's the end of a diagram beginning on the previous day and strikes inevitably affect drivers who are booked to start their work between specified times on the strike day(s).

If the OP holds a ticket booked before the strike was notified, they're nevertheless entitled to alternative transport. I've often seen TOCs' social media teams claiming there is no such entitlement but when pressed, I've never ultimately had a claim refused.

Aaron1

I'd go so far as to say there is effectively nil chance of the latter running. It's the end of a diagram beginning on the previous day and strikes inevitably affect drivers who are booked to start their work between specified times on the strike day(s).

If the OP holds a ticket booked before the strike was notified, they're nevertheless entitled to alternative transport. I've often seen TOCs' social media teams claiming there is no such entitlement but when pressed, I've never ultimately had a claim refused.
That is interesting that if you hold a ticket purchased before strikes were announced that you are entitled to alternative transport? I've always seem TOCs on social media make it clear that there will be no rail replacement services at all and that nobody should travel

MrJeeves

Established Member
I've often seen TOCs' social media teams claiming there is no such entitlement but when pressed, I've never ultimately had a claim refused.
That's interesting... GTR explicitly told me by email that I have no entitlement to alternative transport when I needed to get to the airport on a strike day and basically just wished me luck.

I ended up getting a bus and refunding the ticket as that was cheaper anyway.

Starmill

Veteran Member
That is interesting that if you hold a ticket purchased before strikes were announced that you are entitled to alternative transport? I've always seem TOCs on social media make it clear that there will be no rail replacement services at all and that nobody should travel

That's interesting... GTR explicitly told me by email that I have no entitlement to alternative transport when I needed to get to the airport on a strike day and basically just wished me luck.

I ended up getting a bus and refunding the ticket as that was cheaper anyway.

You'd need to raise a complaint through the usual channels with customer services, then after you've exhausted that send a letter before claim outlining your intention to bill damages in respect of your train being cancelled, and how these were calculated. The next step would be to make the claim in County Court. By that point they'll likely have given in and settled with you. I suspect that's what Watershed is referring to.

The line they give publicly is they have an exception. They don't.

DanielDeronda

As expected there are no trains that will get me back even near to Manchester Piccadilly after the game @ Anfield on 31st January

But I did see something that might be an option. There is a TfW rail replacement service to Manchester from Chester @ 2328 or 0105. Obviously would have to get a taxi from Liverpool to Newton Le Willows, but at least it's cheaper than a taxi all the way.
What would happen if the rail replacement was cancelled & I'd already bought a ticket?
It might just be easier to let a friend have my match ticket & lose out on the £40 for the hotel!!

scrapy

Established Member
As expected there are no trains that will get me back even near to Manchester Piccadilly after the game @ Anfield on 31st January

But I did see something that might be an option. There is a TfW rail replacement service to Manchester from Chester @ 2328 or 0105. Obviously would have to get a taxi from Liverpool to Newton Le Willows, but at least it's cheaper than a taxi all the way.
What would happen if the rail replacement was cancelled & I'd already bought a ticket?
It might just be easier to let a friend have my match ticket & lose out on the £40 for the hotel!!
If getting the bus from Newton, there is the 10a from Liverpool to St Helens taking about an hour (one at 22.45 arriving at St Helens 23.45) Would be £2 single and then a much cheaper taxi from there to Newton le Willows (or Earlestown which is closer)

Starmill

Veteran Member
The TfW bus won't be cancelled due to industrial action as they're not affected at the moment. However you would risk that the bus driver runs early and you miss it, or doesn't observe the stop at all given the hour. You will then be stranded at Earlestown. TfW would be likely to pay for a taxi in that eventuality, although you'd obviously need to keep evidence of the bus schedule, your rail ticket, and the receipt for the taxi. Unfortunately TfW aren't going to be reachable in the early hours of the morning by telephone or social media so you'll have to organise the taxi yourself.