• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where am I?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Nobody...?

I am starting to think that this particular quiz in general has run its course as it seems to attract less and less attention in recent months?

If the OP @Class172 agrees, I think i should provide the answer and then the thread should be locked - unless anyone wants to resume the guessing in the next few days?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gathursty

Established Member
Nobody...?

I am starting to think that this particular quiz in general has run its course as it seems to attract less and less attention in recent months?

If the OP @Class172 agrees, I think i should provide the answer and then the thread should be locked - unless anyone wants to resume the guessing in the next few days?
I dip into this quiz less and less so would agree that the quiz has run its course.

I just had to get yours because you said not near Thetford or Wellington (Salop) but near Pontefract and Pembrey. Most puzzling!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I dip into this quiz less and less so would agree that the quiz has run its course.

I just had to get yours because you said not near Thetford or Wellington (Salop) but near Pontefract and Pembrey. Most puzzling!
I said geographically closer - not near... and without checking back ( not at this time of night anyway!! ), I was probably referencing a specific one of the guesses in each case. Pembrey is certainly nearer to St Austell in a geographic sense than Thetford or Wellington.

If the mods agree it's run out of steam, I am sure a padlock will appear in due course.

daodao

Established Member
@Peter Mugridge and @Gathursty

I find this quiz and (and the "guess the station" quiz, providing the photo is not excessively cropped) an interesting challenge and would regret its disappearance, so would prefer the thread not to be shut down for now. My suggestions are that it is publicised on the forum and for those posting an aerial snapshot on the thread to be identified, also put helpful clues on the thread regularly (at least every couple of days) for photos that are not identified quickly.

I found that the clues posted for the last station were not particularly helpful. As the crow flies:
  • Thetford is 238 miles from St Austell whereas Pontefract is 275 miles from it, so actually further away
  • Pembrey is 96 miles from St Austell whereas Wellington is 191 miles from it, so a lot (not a bit) further away

I haven't posted photos on this thread recently, because I can't keep an eye on it regularly when I am working; I have done so in the past. However, as I shall be off work for a few days from Tuesday onwards and can keep an eye on the thread, here is a photo to identify:

1713680337702.png

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I find this quiz and (and the "guess the station" quiz, providing the photo is not excessively cropped) an interesting challenge and would regret its disappearance, so would prefer the thread not to be shut down for now. My suggestions are that it is publicised on the forum and for those posting an aerial snapshot on the thread to be identified, also put helpful clues on the thread regularly (at least every couple of days) for photos that are not identified quickly.

I found that the clues posted for the last station were not particularly helpful. As the crow flies:
  • Thetford is 238 miles from St Austell whereas Pontefract is 275 miles from it, so actually further away
  • Pembrey is 96 miles from St Austell whereas Wellington is 191 miles from it, so a lot (not a bit) further away
Having now had a chance to look back, yes - I put the wrong word in for Pontefract; it is indeed further away rather than nearer - apologies for that.