• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where are the horns located on the Class 69's?

I was just thinking how much nicer the 69 ends look with the former 56's grid covering the horns plated over, when it struck me that I couldn't figure out where they presumably relocated those horns to? Could the knowledgeable enlighten me? TIA :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bornin1980s

Looks like a less optimal location. I understand the horn was moved on the Aventras (which originally had horn grills) to make room for end gangways, but this wouldn't be necessary on a freight locomotive.

Looks like a less optimal location. I understand the horn was moved on the Aventras (which originally had horn grills) to make room for end gangways, but this wouldn't be necessary on a freight locomotive.

Now there's no antenna, they could have put them on the roof, but provided there isn't too much stuff in front of them, the lower position ought to be reasonably as effective. Dirt accumulation might be more of an issue?

Interestingly, it looks like the horn positions were moved closer to the loco sides on 69011 (possibly to allow a dellner to be fitted without obscuring them?).

69001:
Class_69_Number_69001_at_Tonbridge_West_Yard.jpg

69011:
53532927538_45604b5f72_b.jpg