• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

where are these 442's going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class450

oh ok. thanks

they should run victoria - southampton services, then i can see 442's at my local station LOL (my local station is cosham) :D

Aaron

i also heard that they were coming to the brighton line but i aint seen any yet, do hope so cos they are one of the better looking units around nowadays

Established Member
i also heard that they were coming to the brighton line but i aint seen any yet, do hope so cos they are one of the better looking units around nowadays

as tom has said they will go to Southern/gatwic, are you on alot of gen lists? The only 442 with gatwick express is 2424 Former Gerry Newson and the other two 2414 and 2421 are going to be moved sometime in the future:)

Fred:)

thefab444

Established Member
2424 hasn't done any work with Gatex and the situation has kinda stalled? 2414/2421 were going to move a while ago.

Just if you didn't know, 2414 & 2421 never carried named, and 2424 was, as you said, "Gerry Newson (Southern Railway)".

paul1609

Established Member
The score is (as i understand it):
1 X 10 car 442 is needed to provide cover for heavy overhauls on Gat Ex from the autumn.
Southern will take over the existing Gat Ex service at the May 08 timetable change.
6 x 10 car 442s will operate from Brighton Mon to Friday from the Dec 08 timetable being fast from Gatwick to Victoria these trains will be the peak Gatwick Express service.
The Southampton service will be diverted via Horsham when the West Coastway timetable is recast in Dec 07 which is when SWT retreat from Brighton. it is hoped that the Southampton service will go to 2 tph at the same time.
http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=428

Options are being explored for the development of the 442s. it is likely that they will get extra luggage space and that the snugs and buffets will go.
It is possible that they may even get a new Bombardier traction package and that the will be semi permanently coupled as 10 car units with the centre cabs taken out of use.

T

Tom

The score is (as i understand it):
1 X 10 car 442 is needed to provide cover for heavy overhauls on Gat Ex from the autumn.
Of which overhauls were planned to be done at Bournemouth.... <D

Southern will take over the existing Gat Ex service at the May 08 timetable change.
The GatEx franchise is being terminated early on a 'no faults' basis.

The Southampton service will be diverted via Horsham when the West Coastway timetable is recast in Dec 07 which is when SWT retreat from Brighton. it is hoped that the Southampton service will go to 2 tph at the same time.
I doubt they'll have enough units for that - considering they've currently got an order on for a few more!

Options are being explored for the development of the 442s. it is likely that they will get extra luggage space and that the snugs and buffets will go. It is possible that they may even get a new Bombardier traction package and that the will be semi permanently coupled as 10 car units with the centre cabs taken out of use.
Taking centre cabs is not a brilliant idea. Take the 458s for example.... what if one outer cab becomes defective? Because you've locked the centre ones OOU (and therefore these probably have faults) you have 2 units out of service......... Whoops.

T

Tom

Service isn't 'required' according to DfT. It was only introduced as part of an ORCATS raid in competition to Connex South Central running into Bomo. SWT get a share of any London Terminals - Brighton Route Any Permitted at present.

Humberside

I can see why SWT might be withdrawn by what about the Cardiff/Bristol-Brighton market - do they expect everyone to change at London (twice, Victoria and Paddington)?

It seems the DfT doesnt like Brighton, withdrawing Cross Country and now FGW

Oracle

Established Member
Swansea/Cardiff/Bristol will now have to change at Fratton unless it's SuX when you could do so at Southampton/Fareham/Cosham. I take it that Southern will still not run to Southampton on Sundays or will they? It's blinking annoying at times that they don't.

T

Tom

I presume Southern will be running into Southampton Ctl at 1tph on Sundays.

Oracle

Established Member
That's better than a poke in the eye with a pointed stick! Well, just about! We need a Southern service all weekend + Bank Holidays so that we can use those cheapo Southern tickets!

Oracle

Established Member
..but just one train on a Sunday would be nice. Having hailed from Locks Heath in the past, like 15 years, and having seen the BR service to Bournemouth start with Swanwick stops (our local station) it has always grated that there was just a SuX service. I have used the line from Fareham since I moved to Netley (round the corner from the station) circa 1982, and remember only too well the diesel service. When the electric trains started the passenger uptake was considerable. Of course the present Southern service is handy for Gatwick as well. So, just one unit, 1 tph will be perfectly acceptable thanks.

thefab444

Established Member
Good, just the "Just about", made me assume you wanted more.

Would be nice if the service was extended Bournemouth - Victoria, at least SX, if not SuX.

What's the term for everyday (Mon - Sun), I assume EWD refers to Mon - Fri?

class 313

Established Member
Good, just the "Just about", made me assume you wanted more.

Would be nice if the service was extended Bournemouth - Victoria, at least SX, if not SuX.

What's the term for everyday (Mon - Sun), I assume EWD refers to Mon - Fri?

I spose it wouldnt need a term as you can have

MO
TO
WO
THO
FO
SO
SUO

Then a X for limited...

Out of interest whats the journey times like
Victoria - Southampton
Waterloo- Southampton and likewise to pompey as well. I assum SWT would be quicker but by how much?

Oracle

Established Member
Victoria-Southampton used to be something approaching two hours...1' 50"? The quickest Waterloo-Southampton used be just over an hour?

I suppose every day is "daily"? Sunday excepted, i.e. Mon-Saturday is SuX, Mon-Friday is SSuX, as against MTWThFO, and when early morning services don't run on a Monday morning, MX.

TheSlash

Established Member
Quickest is Waterloo - Southampton via Basingstoke
Then Waterloo - Portsmouth via Guildford
Then Victoria - Southampton via Hove and Barnham?

paul1609

Established Member
I can see why SWT might be withdrawn by what about the Cardiff/Bristol-Brighton market - do they expect everyone to change at London (twice, Victoria and Paddington)?

It seems the DfT doesnt like Brighton, withdrawing Cross Country and now FGW

Apparently this is somewhat up in the air again.
The changes were proposed on the basis that Reading to Gatwick would go 2tph but it is apparent that FGW cant resource the existing service on the North Downs Line let alone extend the stoppers to gatwick.
FGW have bid for their existing slots in the December 2007 recast coastway timetable.

The Brighton Line RUA have been lobbying Dft and the bidders for the XC franchise to continue the brighton XC services and indeed to increase the services to gatwick to 2 hourly. They came up with what appears to be a sound business case and it appears that the Brighton Line services are actually better earners for XC than either Plymouth to penzance or Dundee to Aberdeen. Virgin are said to be including Brighton in their franchise bid.

Oracle

Established Member
Surely Tom, M-F will be SSuX, as SX = SuMTWThFO?

Oh Slash: if you want a long trip try Waterloo-Portsmouth via Eastleigh and Fareham. We got sent that way on a 442 back in '96 I think it was, diverted away from the Portsmouth direct at Woking because of a stuck train in the leaf season. I wanted to go to Swanwick and the guard refused to stop at Fareham, just letting us of at Eastleigh.

thefab444

Established Member
I think its taken for red that if its SX that means Sunday as well.

So if SX = Mon - Fri
SuX = Mon - Sat (down here though, even workings like 4O14 that run SuX, have different timetables on Saturday and thus are MX/SO - though really it should be MSuX...)

So confusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.