• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where do TOCs train up their conductors/drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
This may have a really obvious answer but during the course of my train travels I have observed:

A Northern conductor being trained on the Ormskirk-Preston line
An ATW conductor being trained on the Conwy Valley Line
A Northern Driver being trained on the Goole line

1) Are drivers/conductors trained on 'quiet' lines before being moved on or have I just seen three scenarios that happen to be on quiet branches?
2) If yes to (1), which lines do each TOC train their drivers/conductors initially?
3) If no to (1), please improve my knowledge. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ungreat

Where I am our trainee drivers (we are completely DOO) are trained on actual running turns and " in service " trains.
I'd imagine it's similar elsewhere...only time we had to go elsewhere than our own network was for the first few 387 conversions , when we had to go over to Thameslink routes to get brake handling practice

Andy-mc

This may have a really obvious answer but during the course of my train travels I have observed:

A Northern conductor being trained on the Ormskirk-Preston line
An ATW conductor being trained on the Conwy Valley Line
A Northern Driver being trained on the Goole line

1) Are drivers/conductors trained on 'quiet' lines before being moved on or have I just seen three scenarios that happen to be on quiet branches?
2) If yes to (1), which lines do each TOC train their drivers/conductors initially?
3) If no to (1), please improve my knowledge. :)

From my experience as a driver you just follow the same link as your instructor and there was no real fixed pattern to how you do your driving hours

Conductors though i'm not so sure on as quitter lines/times of day are probably best for someone literally just starting out with the public, but as they say sometimes being thrown in at the deep end is sometimes best and by the time you get out on a train with an instructor you've had a lot of classroom training

Status
Not open for further replies.