• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where is the Restriction Code shown when booking tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DE24

Trying to find the restriction code for a super off peak ticket for the 10.54 from BHM towards EUS next Saturday. National Rail and others mention that they exist and if you know what it is can see the detail. However apart from on the ticket how and where is the information obtainable from the main ticketing websites as even the WMR/LNR booking site does not show it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Trying to find the restriction code for a super off peak ticket for the 10.54 from BHM towards EUS next Saturday. National Rail and others mention that they exist and if you know what it is can see the detail. However apart from on the ticket how and where is the information obtainable from the main ticketing websites as even the WMR/LNR booking site does not show it.
Try the same journey on southeastern website and the restriction code is available in the ticket details (click on the “?” on the ticket name box) complete with link to national rail webpage.

DE24

Try the same journey on southeastern website and the restriction code is available in the ticket details (click on the “?” on the ticket name box) complete with link to national rail webpage.
Thanks very much for the response but it doesn't really answer the question. There is an overview of the restrictions on the "?", as with the other sites, but not the specific two alphanumeric code. For instance it just says "in most cases you may break your journey" but there is nothing specific as to whether you can or cannot. It then says that the restrictions will "be stated in the restrictions shown for that ticket, available at the time of purchase." The full restrictions are not included on the ticket as there is not enough space and will/must/are therefore reduced to a code. It is this code I am after. They used to be in the fares manual but where is this these days?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks very much for the response but it doesn't really answer the question. There is an overview of the restrictions on the "?", as with the other sites, but not the specific two alphanumeric code. For instance it just says "in most cases you may break your journey" but there is nothing specific as to whether you can or cannot. It then says that the restrictions will "be stated in the restrictions shown for that ticket, available at the time of purchase." The full restrictions are not included on the ticket as there is not enough space and will/must/are therefore reduced to a code. It is this code I am after. They used to be in the fares manual but where is this these days?
You can simply go to www.brfares.com and look it up there. It contains details of almost any fare you can buy, including the human (public) and computer restrictions.

mmh

Established Member
For any restriction code, say "XH", nationalrail.co.uk/xh will show them, that's generally printed on the new format tickets

alistairlees

Established Member
It does. Here's a screenshot:
upload_2019-5-5_20-58-19.png
I was hovering on "Show ticket restrictions" and this leads to nationalrail.co.uk/LG (as you can see in the bottom left)

mmh

Established Member
You can simply go to www.brfares.com and look it up there. It contains details of almost any fare you can buy, including the human (public) and computer restrictions.

brfares.com is a very useful site for research but I'd caution against using it for the meaning of restriction codes, it can be out of date, as was the case in a recent thread. Double check the code at nationalrail.co.uk/XX just to be sure.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure which sites are included in that definition but it's up to each website to display it how they see fit. This is how it shows on Trainsplit for example:
upload_2019-5-5_21-1-15.png
Restriction LG applies - click for details

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
brfares.com is a very useful site for research but I'd caution against using it for the meaning of restriction codes, it can be out of date, as was the case in a recent thread. Double check the code at nationalrail.co.uk/XX just to be sure.
I used to caution against it, and it's definitely still worth checking out of an abundance of caution, but BR Fares now updates the NRE restriction code text data daily.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
If you intend to break your journey with this ticket then in my view the best way of going about it is to ask the member of staff onboard (i.e. the guard) whether this is permitted. They are, 99 times out of 100, going to tell you that break of journey is permitted. If they do so, you are at liberty to break your journey entirely legitimately.

In the extremely unlikely event of them insisting on the restriction, you can simply offer to pay the relevant difference to the cheapest valid fare permitting break of journey, to the member of staff at the barriers or (excess) ticket office at your intermediate break of journey station. In all likelihood they, too, will tell you nothing is due and that you are entitled to break your journey.

I don't really know why WMT still maintain the break of journey restrictions which LM brought in. It makes no sense from an overall perspective (i.e. these fares don't really undercut any intermediate journeys' fares) and are simply not known about by staff, let alone enforced, in my experience.

mmh

Established Member
I used to caution against it, and it's definitely still worth checking out of an abundance of caution, but BR Fares now updates the NRE restriction code text data daily.

No longer true; since 2 months now the restriction text on BR Fares is updated daily from the same database as used by National Rail Enquiries (noted in the thread you refer to here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/brfares-incorrect-restriction-texts.178653/#post-3903134 )

That's excellent, thanks both for updating me - and great work by all involved with the brfares site. It really is incredibly useful.

DE24

Having spent more time trawling the net, the information that should be easily publicly available but isn't, is or appears not to to be, is if you have have some understanding of old BR fares manuals. Try http://www.brfares.com

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Having spent more time trawling the net, the information that should be easily publicly available but isn't, is or appears not to to be, is if you have have some understanding of old BR fares manuals. Try http://www.brfares.com
Assuming this relates to the original question, out of interest which booking sites did you find that do not make the information available?

As for the excellent BRfares site, yes this was already mentioned earlier:

some bloke

Established Member
If you intend to break your journey with this ticket then in my view the best way of going about it is to ask the member of staff onboard (i.e. the guard) whether this is permitted.

It might be better to ask whether they will allow you. That would let you break, but not necessarily resume. If it isn't in writing, couldn't another staff member later refuse resuming, or travelling on the ticket if they saw you get on? (This is a general point - acknowledging that some stations may not be staffed/barriered)

If they do so, you are at liberty to break your journey entirely legitimately.

It may be unlikely they would find out or be able to do anything, but it wouldn't be entirely legitimate if they told you yes when you knew the answer was no. If you asked them for permission rather than whether it was permitted, that would be different.

The one time I asked an LM conductor about this, he was happy for me to break the journey. He surprised me by saying, I thought audibly to other passengers, that I could just tell the staff I'd been feeling ill.

I'd guess that in this case guards are generally aware of the rule. But there's perhaps a general point to be made. If a guard isn't aware of a rule, it might be unfair on them if someone were advised to play on their ignorance. Apart from anything else, they might feel cheated when they found out what the rule was.

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
It might be better to ask whether they will allow you. That would let you break, but not necessarily resume. If it isn't in writing, couldn't another staff member later refuse resuming, or travelling on the ticket if they saw you get on? (This is a general point - acknowledging that some stations may not be staffed/barriered)
If you are given permission to break your journey then in theory this is binding and the end of the matter. Of course there is always the question of evidence, but as I say, I have never seen anyone have any issues about breaking your journey. I don't think staff think they are any different to the ordinary non-WMT only tickets (which permit BoJ). Perhaps a WMT guard on the forum can confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.