• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where is this station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inversnecky

Can someone please identify this London station for me? Thanks.

Attachments

• 2A639CCB-CDA2-482F-BA99-0B9F8F2E92FE.jpeg
    2A639CCB-CDA2-482F-BA99-0B9F8F2E92FE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 229
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like Waterloo sometime around the early 60s to me (thinking that there’s no yellow warning panels around)?

Darandio

Established Member
I'm not sure Waterloo had platform canopies extending out from the main shed like that?

Peter C

Established Member
I would have said Waterloo as well - the traction, the trackwork curving around into the station, and the bridge carrying the railway over the road.

I'm not sure Waterloo had platform canopies extending out from the main shed like that?
The photo in post one of this thread on RMWeb seems to suggest that it did - on the far left of the frame: rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141122-what-locos-are-in-this-picture-of-waterloo-station/

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It did back in those days:

Peter C

Established Member
It did back in those days:
I've just been quickly scrolling down that page and the sixth picture's made me giggle - imagine the hilarity which would ensue if that group got split...

-Peter

MotCO

Established Member
I agree that it is Waterloo - the pub on the other side of the bridge can be seen in this Googlestreet view.

(Link shows a picture of a building today also seen in the OP's photo)

I was hoping that the archive pictures of Waterloo would show the rail link between Waterloo Mainline and Waterloo East. When did the link close, and are there any photos of it?

DelW

Established Member
Looks like Waterloo sometime around the early 60s to me (thinking that there’s no yellow warning panels around)?
I'd have thought it's earlier than that, from the extent of the bomb damage to the building on the left. Although there were still bomb sites around in the 1950s and maybe early 60s, I think that sort of damage would have been repaired, or the building demolished, before then.

deltic14

Definitely Waterloo. I think the image is a screen shot from a British Transport Films production.

Journeyman

Established Member
I was hoping that the archive pictures of Waterloo would show the rail link between Waterloo Mainline and Waterloo East. When did the link close, and are there any photos of it?

I don't know the exact date, but it barely made it into the 20th century, and regular use had stopped long before that.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd have thought it's earlier than that, from the extent of the bomb damage to the building on the left. Although there were still bomb sites around in the 1950s and maybe early 60s, I think that sort of damage would have been repaired, or the building demolished, before then.
Interesting point. I’m not too up on my SR EMUs but is there any way of dating the stock that’s on view?

Darandio

Established Member
Interesting point. I’m not too up on my SR EMUs but is there any way of dating the stock that’s on view?

I think the one in prominent view is certainly 1956 onwards. Happy to be proven wrong again! :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think the one in prominent view is certainly 1956 onwards. Happy to be proven wrong again! :lol:
We’re not far off pinning it down to an actual date at this rate. :lol:

DelW

Established Member
I think the left hand bridge on the 1911 photo is the link bridge over Waterloo Road. The plate girders and underslung transverse beams match the remaining span, though the superstructure has been removed. Of course the buildings in the photo predate the current station.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think the left hand bridge on the 1911 photo is the link bridge over Waterloo Road. The plate girders and underslung transverse beams match the remaining span, though the superstructure has been removed. Of course the buildings in the photo predate the current station.
Looks like the link was removed in 1911 according to Kent Rail as well:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
None of the EMUs have small yellow warning panels either, so it can't be later than about 1962.
Right I’m going for 1st August 1959 10:12am and Fred was driving the Bulleid... ;)

deltic14

Has to be 1956 onwards. That is when they started to rebuild Merchant Navy Class.
It is not a Merchant Navy - their plates were round and mounted on the boiler. Judging by the style of the crest above the nameplate it is a rebuilt West Country so it is after June 1957 when the first was rebuilt...

Journeyman

Established Member
It is not a Merchant Navy - their plates were round and mounted on the boiler. Judging by the style of the crest above the nameplate it is a rebuilt West Country so it is after June 1957 when the first was rebuilt...
Well spotted! :) I'm trying to work out if the closest EMU is a 2-NOL, but it's a bit too blurry to tell it apart from a BIL. If it's the former, we can narrow down the later date to about 1960.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m only looking at this on a small phone screen but it looks like you’re right.
In my mind I always imagined that the Light Pacifics and BBs operated west of Salisbury and on the Kent lines whereas the MNs were entrusted to most of the expresses out of Waterloo. I don’t really know though?

Journeyman

Established Member
I’m only looking at this on a small phone screen but it looks like you’re right.
In my mind I always imagined that the Light Pacifics and BBs operated west of Salisbury and on the Kent lines whereas the MNs were entrusted to most of the expresses out of Waterloo. I don’t really know though?
The smaller Pacifics were common on services in and out of Waterloo. Remember there were over a hundred of them, and only thirty MNs.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The smaller Pacifics were common on services in and out of Waterloo. Remember there were over a hundred of them, and only thirty MNs.
Good point and I suppose there were Standard 5s on passenger workings out of there too back then.
Definitely on my list of things to do once I’ve got this flux capacitor sorted out.

Irascible

Established Member
Well spotted! :) I'm trying to work out if the closest EMU is a 2-NOL, but it's a bit too blurry to tell it apart from a BIL. If it's the former, we can narrow down the later date to about 1960.

Looking at the roof that does not look like a 2-car unit.

It's possible that burned out building just burned out, of course!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

It looks like a 4-SUB ( class 405 ) to me?

Journeyman

Established Member
Good point and I suppose there were Standard 5s on passenger workings out of there too back then.
Definitely on my list of things to do once I’ve got this flux capacitor sorted out.
Haha! My son and I had a fascinating discussion about our fantasy time-travel trainspotting plans recently. :)

They include:
  • Glasgow Subway when it was operated by cable in one direction and electric trains in the other
  • Sheffield to Manchester behind an EM2
  • The Great Central in its final years (including the Rugby to Nottingham DMU shuttle)
  • The Fifteen Guinea Special

It looks like a 4-SUB ( class 405 ) to me?
Sorry, I'm talking about the one behind the steam train.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Sorry, I'm talking about the one behind the steam train.
Smooth looking front, but does appear to have the BIL / HAL raked roof shape otherwise I'd have thought it to be an EPB... Could it be an EPB with a shadow on the roof, I wonder?

1609546635341.png

Bungle158

We’re not far off pinning it down to an actual date at this rate. :lol:
Ref the "longer" emu...Very difficult to say from the blurred image. I initially thought 2 BILs. I remember them being coupled up together, as many as 4 sets. 2HALs are also a possibility, lots of them moved over from the SE division when EPB type stock became the norm there, l think in the mid 50s.

Status
Not open for further replies.