• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where to start for training on how to be a train driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rushforza

Good afternoon everyone. I just recently joined the Railforums.

A couple of days ago, I went to a open job event in Manchester hosted by Freightliner. I been in retail for 7 years and im starting to think of moving on and find a new job away from retail. I started to think of getting a job as a freight train driver.

I like to ask where is the best place to start learning on how to be a train driver. I live around the Greater Manchester area so I wondering is there any classes they do which I can do to learn how to drive or apprenticeship's for me to do.

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jobi-wan

You will need to apply to the FOC or TOC when they have trainee positions available. Keep an eye out on their career pages on their websites regularly because they don't stay open for long as thousands will apply.

Rockhopper

You can't go on a course to learn to be a train driver, you need to get a job with a train (or freight) operating company as a trainee driver. They advertise such positions quite regularly but you need to get in quick, sometimes they only stay open for a few hours before they are full. Expect over a thousand applicants for each position, over ten thousand for the last London Underground driver job that came up!
But you've got to be in it to win it so get applying!

JLyons

Best place to start would be the get a job in the police first then move over to the railway

Economist

Firstly, consider passenger work as well as freight, I can see Northern and TransPennine were/are recruiting trainee drivers. DB Cargo have been as well and they will no doubt have depot(s) in the Greater Manchester area. There are other companies such as Avanti and Merseyrail who often recruit trainee drivers internally, you'd need to be working for them already in order to start with them as a trainee train driver.

There's plenty of advice on these forums about the recruitment process and the attributes required for the role. When I was looking for a trainee driver role, I did a lot of reading and research and ultimately went on to secure a role as a trainee driver after a couple of years, it then took me another year and a bit to qualify.

As Rockhopper has said, you cannot put yourself on a course, from the first day of training you will be employed by a TOC/FOC that has recruiting you for the role, they will likely expect you to stay with them for at least a couple of years after you qualify. I'd say this is a good thing, it prevents a massive surplus of drivers from bringing T&Cs down.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Rushforza

Further to the last few updates - if like me, you are from the North West then I would certainly check out the following TOCs for vacancies - Northern, Transpennine Express & Avanti West Coast. You have also got Grand Central who run from Blackpool & Cross Country run services from Manchester down to London and the south. Their vacancy board is a bit hit & miss but still worth a butchers every week.

Merseyrail is a really difficult TOC to get into - they only seem to advertise the odd role at anyone time - like another forum member has said, they recruit their drivers internally. Cross Country recently advertised for multiple drivers but they only wanted people from within the railway industry & NOT outsiders.

As a final point - trainee driving roles attract many many applicants when they do get advertised. I would suggest may be keeping your options open and consider other roles that come available. Aside from being a driver there are some cracking jobs out there.

CJ

driver9000

Established Member
A lot of train drivers come into the industry from road transport, military and emergency services. Nothing to say someone in retail won't be taken on and there is nothing to say you have to come roads or emergency services, I know a driver who came straight from a call centre for example.

What I will advise is that you research the role of Train Driver and what it entails to make sure it is what you want to do.

Victornc

Firstly, consider passenger work as well as freight, I can see Northern and TransPennine were/are recruiting trainee drivers. DB Cargo have been as well and they will no doubt have depot(s) in the Greater Manchester area. There are other companies such as Avanti and Merseyrail who often recruit trainee drivers internally, you'd need to be working for them already in order to start with them as a trainee train driver.

There's plenty of advice on these forums about the recruitment process and the attributes required for the role. When I was looking for a trainee driver role, I did a lot of reading and research and ultimately went on to secure a role as a trainee driver after a couple of years, it then took me another year and a bit to qualify.

As Rockhopper has said, you cannot put yourself on a course, from the first day of training you will be employed by a TOC/FOC that has recruiting you for the role, they will likely expect you to stay with them for at least a couple of years after you qualify. I'd say this is a good thing, it prevents a massive surplus of drivers from bringing T&Cs down.
Can I ask what’s the training school is like? Just loads of posts on assesments and interviews and nothing of what the training is actually like. I’s there like lots of essays to do or is it learning the rules and regs and just showing that you know them? Also how you finding the job now your qualified?

Happer'sComet

If you are keen on the freight side then you might also want to consider the groundstaff role. This route will give you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the railway environment and get hugely relevant practical experience (e.g. learning basic stuff such as personal track safety, but also shunting, rolling stock inspection, brake testing, etc.).

Economist

Can I ask what’s the training school is like? Just loads of posts on assesments and interviews and nothing of what the training is actually like. I’s there like lots of essays to do or is it learning the rules and regs and just showing that you know them? Also how you finding the job now your qualified?

One of the members on here did a training diary of sorts, which can be found here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/journey-greater-anglia-trainee-driver.172214/page-9

The order in which training is done can vary slightly from one TOC to another, for example, at some places you'll alternate between rules training and shadowing a driver, other places you won't.

I enjoy the job to an extent but I'm on DOO work, stopping every couple of minutes. During training, I had the opportunity to drive semi-fasts with a guard a few times and that was more enjoyable. There's very little I'd consider swapping train driving for if I'm to be honest.

Victornc

One of the members on here did a training diary of sorts, which can be found here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/journey-greater-anglia-trainee-driver.172214/page-9

The order in which training is done can vary slightly from one TOC to another, for example, at some places you'll alternate between rules training and shadowing a driver, other places you won't.

I enjoy the job to an extent but I'm on DOO work, stopping every couple of minutes. During training, I had the opportunity to drive semi-fasts with a guard a few times and that was more enjoyable. There's very little I'd consider swapping train driving for if I'm to be honest.
That’s good to here and cheers for the link, will check it out :). Iv only recently thought about train driving it’s not as if it’s a Hobby of mine but do like the idea of responsibility and all duties it comes with. Also keep seeing people say DOO, what is it have no idea.

BloominMan

Rushforza

Merseyrail is a really difficult TOC to get into - they only seem to advertise the odd role at anyone time - like another forum member has said, they recruit their drivers internally.

CJ

Correct.

I worked for Merseyrail for years and I can tell you now, at least 75-90% of their driver base are related to a boss or somebody that has links.

Progression even internally is exponentially difficult. It's who you know these days regarding MRE, experience is more or less disregarded.

A guards job is achievable relatively easily but they're still planning on binning the guards with the introduction of the 777s. All guards contracts now are temporary full time on a lower rate of pay. All station assistant contracts are also temporary.

The old hand BR drivers hate working for them and many have tried to move to TPE or Northern.

It's a really good job if you get in, 50k+ a year for a small-ish self contained network that runs itself really.

This is not a bitter post as I had no problems. Just the way it is.

ILoveLamp

Good afternoon everyone. I just recently joined the Railforums.

A couple of days ago, I went to a open job event in Manchester hosted by Freightliner. I been in retail for 7 years and im starting to think of moving on and find a new job away from retail. I started to think of getting a job as a freight train driver.

I like to ask where is the best place to start learning on how to be a train driver. I live around the Greater Manchester area so I wondering is there any classes they do which I can do to learn how to drive or apprenticeship's for me to do.

thanks
I saw the advert for the open day but it said it was only for Qualified Drivers so I never went as Im not that close to Manchester. Did you manage to get useful info and were they quite open to chat to you despite you not being a qualified driver?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...Also keep seeing people say DOO, what is it have no idea.
It means 'Driver Only Operation'; examples include Chiltern out of Marylebone (as far north as Banbury), most of GTR, much of Southeastern (including High Speed), Scotrail Glasgow area suburban services, much of Greater Anglia out of Liverpool Street, c2c, London Overground, many GWR services in the Thames Valley area, and more.

Note the term only refers to the operation of the train; there may be other staff rostered to work on the trains, such as an On Board Manager (OBM), On Board Supervisor (OBS), Travelling Ticket Inspector (TTI), Revenue Protection Officer/Inspector (RPO/RPI).

ComUtoR

Established Member
Also keep seeing people say DOO, what is it have no idea.

DOO means Driver Only Operation and has very specific requirements within the rule book. DCO is where another member of staff may be rostered to work onboard and potentially may be a requirement to be onboard (SE High Speed) This is a new and evolving term.

You should do your research and consider your options. Not many Drivers will recommend DOO.

Victornc

Thanks for the help. Think the only down side to this forum is tons of acronyms in lots of posts E.G (no pun intended) MMI DOO SJT/E and so on. Managed to look up others but not the DOO. Much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.