• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which Bike to go for

Which bike would YOU have

• honda CBR 125R

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Yamaha YZF-R125

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please tell me LOL)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nutter

I have a problem. I'm not sure what bike to go for.

Choice of 2 (I'm getting them new)

Honda CBR 125 '08 (http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/...g&hidHomePath=/jsp/msgCC125Home.jsp#focusHere)

or a

Yamaha YZF-R125 http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/products/motorcycles/supersport/yzf-r125.jsp

The yamaha is my prefered choice, other than price. It's much better looking than the honda (in blue, to go with the kit) and a little faster, but apprantly it sounds like a scooter (which I don't want) and honda's have a reputation as more reliable

Choice is yours.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radio-flyer-classic-red-tricycle.jpg

perhaps?

nah i'm of no help, sorry...

Coxster

Established Member
I think you'll find the Yamaha Cygnus-X '07 is way better than both of those put together ;)

but apprantly it sounds like a scooter
And...? :p

- - - - - -

Edit:- oneTN is on! You can now expect to hear all about how good T'n'Gs are now 8-) Benefits obviously being lots of cubby-holes to put things in and underseat storage for up to two full-face helmets (no carrying helmets around for us!), a comfortable upright seating position, no faffing about with a clutch where the back brake should be or a pedal where a flat surface for your feet and maybe a bag should be, and more than enough power for motorway cruising (well, ones like his anyway...).

O L Leigh

Established Member
So, where shall I start...? ;)

I have to say that I know almost nothing about either of these bikes so I can't answer your question directly. However, there are aspects to be considered other than which one looks the sexier. For example, have you had the chance get your leg over each one and decide which one is the right size and shape for you? What is the dealer back-up for each manufacturer like in your area?

As for "sounding like a scooter", my first question is what's wrong with that? I have to say that, apart from both bikes being 4 stroke single-pot machines and therefore sounding broadly similar, they won't sound too much like scooters because you will be changing gears where scooters don't. However, I suspect that neither bike will sound entirely "right" given that they are both styled like their 4 pot superbike big brothers.

I would expect that either a Honda or a Yamaha would be a good buy. Both manufacturers use quality parts and screw their machines together well which means that they should run like clocks. The Yam does appear to be £300 more expensive, so perhaps you need to decide whether or not it's really worth the extra beer vouchers. However, I really would stress the importance of sitting on both bikes to make sure they are comfortable. The superbike stance makes sense if you're doing 120mph, but you'll probably only manage something around half of this on a 125cc machine so you might find that having to support a lot of weight on your wrists too uncomfortable. If so, something more upright like the Honda Varadero 125 might be a better bet (it would be my personal pick of the 125cc bikes currently on offer).

Otherwise, there is a wealth of excellent 125cc "twist'n'go" scooters that would be at least as good and certainly more practical.

one TN

nutter

Welle reason why I hate scooters is because they are for chavs.

As for the problem with wrist load, I use a racing push-bike day to day on a 16 mile round commute to work.

And as for beer vouchers, I don't drink, and I don't have that special woman yet :razz:.

And just to make it clear, the question is what YOU would have out of the 2.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Neither. I've got one of these (in fact, this is my one).

TMAXSide.jpg

Yes, it's a scooter. No, it's not for chavs.

As I said in my reply, my choice of geared 125cc bikes is the Honda Varadero. It's a decent size bike with a proper riding position, a decent motor and bags of kudos.

one TN

Coxster

Established Member
And just to make it clear, the question is what YOU would have out of the 2.
Actually the question was 'Which bike would YOU have?', and wasn't just out of the two as it had an 'Other' option ;)

As for your belief in a stereotype regarding Scooters being for Chavs, I was always under the impression that they were designed to get people places more economically and environmentally friendly than a single person in a car, taking up much less room on the road and an alternative to sitting in traffic jams. I'm sure we can talk about any stereotypes that may exist for people working in fast-food outlets, if you'd prefer?

O L Leigh

Established Member
Maybe the poll was worded thus, but the original post seemed to suggest that Nutter wanted help in choosing between two particular bikes. Hence my post.

I know what I'd have. One of these.

TMAXSide.jpg

Oh, wait. That is mine.

one TN

nutter

Doesn't matter anymore anyway, I was refused the loan.

Did my CBT today, and I am not getting a car, never in a million years, or until i get a misses at least, the former been more lickley

Coxster

Established Member
Cars have more metal between you and the tarmac, no contest for me 8-)
So you've decided not to do your bike test "to cure the boredom" now then :lol: Don't you miss your little Peugeot? ;)

Anyway, my Scoot came Shed spotting with me today but only wanted to be seen with Dessies! :shock: Oh, and in the unlikely event that the 'member of the older generation' (who turned up just after the Gypsum passed) is reading this, then it was nice to chatting to you!

CyggyTrainSpotting001.jpg
CyggyTrainSpotting002.jpg

TheSlash

Established Member
I can't afford a motorbike and a car. When it rains, i'll wave to you from my nice dry and warm car.
The Peugeot was sold on to a less loving owner who destroyed it's soul and then it disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.