• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which is the best train sim for...?

Which is the best train sim for UK trainee drivers?

• BVE trainism

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • Microsoft Train Sim 1

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Microsoft Train Sim 2

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • EA Rail Sim

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Trainz Railway Simulator 2006

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else... (please expand)

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChooChooMcGrew

Hi all, :)

I have read many posts on this and other forums, and although BVE comes across as the best sim, (and that is endorsed by its popularity on this forum), I wonder if it can compete with the might of Microsoft.

Can I get your opinion on what you think would be the best train sim for trainee drivers on the UK railways.

Things like sexily animated passengers and life-like cows in fields, for this task, are less important. Bigger priorities are going to be the British relevance of routes, traction, and signalling in the sim.

That considered, which sim is best?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
BVE Trainsim for physics and realism, but World of Subways for graphics.

That said, SWT's '450198' at Basingstoke was pretty impressive!

EE Type 3

Established Member
The 377 at Selhurst is quite hellfire :)

But if you haven't got access to it for your own fun, then BVE all the way.

william

Established Member
The only one Ive ever tried.............................

I'm Insane

BVE definitely, no other trainsim I've tried has even come close to the realism of BVE, i just wish it had support for nvidia graphics cards.

sjbve

Nothing beats MSTS!!:D:D:D

Before I had MSTS, BVE was my favorite, but MSTS is much better.
In BVE you can only drive routes one-way, you can't turn switches, no passengerview, only a cabview.

AlexS

Established Member
BVE is OK but you can't do things like prep the train etc. There's also nothing procedural involved like Rule 55, or proper disposal etc.

That said, it's not bad at all. Having had the odd go on the stick in a real train though it doesn't 'feel' that much like it - over a thousand horses behind your ear shoving you up the backside as you open the throttle feels like nothing else - and the same for when you put the brakes in. If you have a 'free' rather than notched brake controller braking by feel is so much easier in real life than BVE where you can only guess about whether you're throwing passengers around the saloon/breaking your couplers.

slick

BVE is OK but you can't do things like prep the train etc. There's also nothing procedural involved like Rule 55, or proper disposal etc.

That said, it's not bad at all. Having had the odd go on the stick in a real train though it doesn't 'feel' that much like it - over a thousand horses behind your ear shoving you up the backside as you open the throttle feels like nothing else - and the same for when you put the brakes in. If you have a 'free' rather than notched brake controller braking by feel is so much easier in real life than BVE where you can only guess about whether you're throwing passengers around the saloon/breaking your couplers.

True, hopefully BVE will develop into something where preping trains etc will be normal!

Status
Not open for further replies.