• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which is the most important station in Britain?

Which is the most important station in Britain?

• London Waterloo

Votes: 37 19.0%
  • London St Pancras International

Votes: 38 19.5%
  • London Euston

Votes: 34 17.4%
  • Birmingham New Street

Votes: 101 51.8%
  • Manchester Piccadilly

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • York

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Crewe

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • Clapham Junction

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • Glasgow Central

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • Edinburgh Waverley

Votes: 12 6.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

driver_m

Established Member
I don't really get the New Street argument - if something goes wrong, they just shift trains on to other lines (I.e. Nuneaton). Contrast that with Clapham Junction, whereby if that goes down you basically have no trains going in to either Waterloo or Victoria, two of the busiest stations in the UK.

The reason I say New Street is simple. If Clapham Goes down, it only really affects the south east. I’ve had a look at some reactionary delay data and the sheer amount of disruption that is caused nationwide is unbelievable. Say I breakdown in the tunnels at New St towards Grand Jn. Straight away, that’s screws up the pattern into Euston, because my TM may be needing to go to Manchester, the Pwllheli at International may then get held there, which on a service that only runs every 2 hrs could be a total pain for someone over a 100 miles away. The XC that’s possibly already running late will now get held up going south and get in the way of a GWR at Reading, that then causes knock ons into Paddington and back out to Cornwall or South Wales. Meanwhile, the family wanting to go to Walsall can’t because they’re stuck waiting for a path out the other way, and the LM that’s had to go through the Derby Tunnels towards London, has then held up various freights trying to get to Ipswich which will then disrupt a Greater Anglia service or 4! Meanwhile a delay at Clapham has meant a lot of harrumphing by Giles because his train to the south coast has just changed to the next platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
Even as a Yorkshireman I would agree that Manchester as a place is more important than Leeds.

In railway terms, Leeds is more important. If Manchester Piccadilly had a problem, a large number of services could either be diverted via Victoria or turned around at Oxford Road without much discomfort.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
If 'Most Important' is interpreted as the station with the biggest impact on the widest area then it has to be Birmingham New Street. If it is the station with the biggest impact on the number of passengers then it must, presumably, be whichever has the highest number - isn't it Waterloo ?

Harbouring

The reason I say New Street is simple. If Clapham Goes down, it only really affects the south east. I’ve had a look at some reactionary delay data and the sheer amount of disruption that is caused nationwide is unbelievable. Say I breakdown in the tunnels at New St towards Grand Jn. Straight away, that’s screws up the pattern into Euston, because my TM may be needing to go to Manchester, the Pwllheli at International may then get held there, which on a service that only runs every 2 hrs could be a total pain for someone over a 100 miles away. The XC that’s possibly already running late will now get held up going south and get in the way of a GWR at Reading, that then causes knock ons into Paddington and back out to Cornwall or South Wales. Meanwhile, the family wanting to go to Walsall can’t because they’re stuck waiting for a path out the other way, and the LM that’s had to go through the Derby Tunnels towards London, has then held up various freights trying to get to Ipswich which will then disrupt a Greater Anglia service or 4! Meanwhile a delay at Clapham has meant a lot of harrumphing by Giles because his train to the south coast has just changed to the next platform.

Whilst the geographical scope of the impact of New Street is unchallenged the fact is simple that if Clapham signalling goes out on both sides (I know it’s very unlikely) or perhaps the more likely example of a line side fire just north or south of the station then at times (eg peaks) it could mean 200000-250000 people at Victoria and Waterloo combined plus the numbers at CLJ and on services heading to the capital stranded. If lines are closed for more than an hour it’s going to mean that both termini would become dangerously overcrowded and result in some serious control and security measures being implemented. When trains do restart then it will take several hours or maybe even until the next morning to get everyone where they need to be and even longer to get the service back to normal/ for the sheer volume of people passing through Clapham Jn must be considered most important.

However difficult it is alternative options can be used at New Street (different routes in some instances, bustitution, VTWC avoiding New Street etc.) whereas the volume of people passing through Clapham makes that impossible.

That’s what I think anyway

SS4

Established Member
I went with New St as the non-London network is largely centred there and whilst long distance services could be diverted it would devastate the local area as all the lines (except Snow Hill lines) pass through there and the road/rail network would be unable to cope. One of the London termini may cause more people affected but there is a dense underground/rail/bus network in London unmatched in the rest of the country and options are available.

uww11x

New Street is a horrible station. When travelling down south I often pick trains which avoid going into that dump!

Anyway, most important has to be Tweedbank ;)

driver_m

Established Member
Whilst the geographical scope of the impact of New Street is unchallenged the fact is simple that if Clapham signalling goes out on both sides (I know it’s very unlikely) or perhaps the more likely example of a line side fire just north or south of the station then at times (eg peaks) it could mean 200000-250000 people at Victoria and Waterloo combined plus the numbers at CLJ and on services heading to the capital stranded. If lines are closed for more than an hour it’s going to mean that both termini would become dangerously overcrowded and result in some serious control and security measures being implemented. When trains do restart then it will take several hours or maybe even until the next morning to get everyone where they need to be and even longer to get the service back to normal/ for the sheer volume of people passing through Clapham Jn must be considered most important.

However difficult it is alternative options can be used at New Street (different routes in some instances, bustitution, VTWC avoiding New Street etc.) whereas the volume of people passing through Clapham makes that impossible.

That’s what I think anyway

Have you tried going via the west midlands when new st has gone tech? Booked diversions around the houses were a nightmare and they were planned!
I understand totally that Clapham by sheer size is problematic if it goes down, but it's range is less than that of New St by some margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.